Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best place to buy bulk for home use spices?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
I don't need restaurant-level bulk but I make most of my own rubs for day to day use. taco seasoning, chicken rub, vegetable seasoning, etc. basic stuff but grocery stores often sell small containers for some and it adds up. white pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, kosher salt, black pepper, etc. 

is Amazon the best place to buy those or somewhere else?
Boom

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I don't have a Costco, so I can't speak for them, but I usually get my bulk spices at Sams.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    edited July 2019
    Options
    HEB or Whole Foods or Central Market (HEB as well) all in the bulk area
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,824
    Options
    There's a small chain here in SoCal called Smart and Final which is perfect for exactly what you're looking for. They bill themselves as the smaller warehouse store.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    A good place to buy in Canada is Bulk Barn, a chain specializing in bag-your-own spices, etc. You must have many similar options in the U.S.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    We have some international farmers markets that have “everything” at great price points. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    caliking said:
    Try an Indian/Pakistani/Asian store. Most spices are way cheaper than the grocery store.
    This.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Depending on where your located Sprouts has some spices, i buy alot of mine at sams club.  Penzey spices has alot of good options as well.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Depending on where your located Sprouts has some spices, i buy alot of mine at sams club.  Penzey spices has alot of good options as well.
    Just note that a healthy dose of unsolicited politics comes free with every Penzey order...
    very true but they have some good products so you have to overlook that some.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• conman
    conman Posts: 4
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:
    Just note that a healthy dose of unsolicited politics comes free with every Penzey order...
    very true but they have some good products so you have to overlook that some.  

Good product, but wont overlook it. Not interested in his opinion or his products anymore.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,797
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    There's a small chain here in SoCal called Smart and Final which is perfect for exactly what you're looking for. They bill themselves as the smaller warehouse store.
    Love our Smart and Final
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,328
    Options
    My grocery store across the highway, Rouses, is based in South Louisiana. They sell most spices in one pound plastic bottles that are cheaper than the little glass bottles. I did have to order ancho pepper powder through Amazon. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We have a place called "International Market" that sells in bulk.  Hong Kong market is also excellent if you shop in the nola area.
    Options
    A word of caution: be careful about buying ground spices in bulk if you won’t use them in good time. They will go stale and not be so tasty. 

We we tend to buy things like coriander and cumin whole, then grind a week’s worth at a time. Not as good as buying smaller amounts more frequently, but it does mitigate the staleness issue to some degree. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    caliking said:
    A word of caution: be careful about buying ground spices in bulk if you won’t use them in good time. They will go stale and not be so tasty. 

We we tend to buy things like coriander and cumin whole, then grind a week’s worth at a time. Not as good as buying smaller amounts more frequently, but it does mitigate the staleness issue to some degree. 
    Damn you, factually correct buzz kill guy!
    Options
    caliking said:
    Try an Indian/Pakistani/Asian store. Most spices are way cheaper than the grocery store.
    Same here in the UK.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Restaurant Depot and Penzy's for me. Both are close by my home, both have quality products.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    caliking said:

It may be more trouble than it's worth, but would vacuum sealing and/or freezing mitigate this issue?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,704
    Options
    Weeds
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    here its the asian market, a bazaar, and the lebanese bakeries, all insanely cheap.  i grow alot of herbs as well in a 42 inch raised bed, in a weber kettle, and have a pretty big mint garden.. covers about 90 percent of my needs.  then theres the hot pepper garden. the online places are a last resort for me, but penzeys while pricey is still good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I buy Penzey's at the retail outlets so I don't have to deal with the politics of Bill the idiot. I used to be on their mailing list but I sent him a reply to one of his rants and told him to F.O. He doesn't bother sending me anything any more.

His sister has a company called The Spice House (https://www.thespicehouse.com/) that's pretty good. Her politics are different than his, but more importantly, she keeps them to herself. She's not interested in alienating portions of her customer base.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    Options
    Teefus said:
    His sister has a company called The Spice House (https://www.thespicehouse.com/) that's pretty good. Her politics are different than his, but more importantly, she keeps them to herself. She's not interested in alienating portions of her customer base.
    That's where I buy my stuff.  Quick/cheap shipping, easy to navigate website.  There's usually a few coupon codes a month, so get on their mailing list.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    caliking said:

Actually it is just as good. You can store the whole spices in your house until grinding or you can let them sit in a warehouse somewhere until grinding.  Most spices are harvested once a year. So buying them a little at a time doesn't get you fresher spices.   The ideal situation is to buy a year's supply when the new crop gets to market and store them under the best conditions. Problem is knowing if the spices available to you are indeed the new crop or last year's crop.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• a4angiel
    a4angiel Posts: 3
    Options
    Another vote for the Spice House. Stopped even looking at Penzey because of the reasons cited here.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Y'all should stop using anything technological, because it's mostly owned and designed by libtards.  You won't starve, you've got Chik fil-a
    Options
    Y'all should stop using anything technological, because it's mostly owned and designed by libtards.  You won't starve, you've got Chik fil-a

Well it is rated the number 1 fast food restaurant from multiple publications so maybe there's a reason. I wonder if they use Penzeys spices to season the chicken. That would be Ironic....

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    Options

Well it is rated the number 1 fast food restaurant from multiple publications so maybe there's a reason. I wonder if they use Penzeys spices to season the chicken. That would be Ironic....
    Number 1 in something I can't figure out.  They're not the biggest, most profitable, best food  (think In-N-Out-burger, 5 guys, etc).....  Probably the number 1 destination for "deplorables".  Yep, that's gotta be it.  No offense to the MAGA crowd.
    edited July 2019
    Options

Number 1 in something I can't figure out.  They're not the biggest, most profitable, best food  (think In-N-Out-burger, 5 guys, etc).....  Probably the number 1 destination for "deplorables".  Yep, that's gotta be it.  No offense to the MAGA crowd.

No, its the number 1 for EVERYONE. So even those pesky "libtards" love them some "hate" chicken even though they will never admit it. But back to Spices. If I'm buying Bulk I go to Costco. I generally never buy bulk of any spices except Salt and Peppercorns.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    chickfila here is an empty parking lot, what are the 4 drivethru lanes for
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it