Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MM vs Joe Jr

Options
Yes, I used the search function - Lots of 2014-1017 threads - some 2018

Even a google search comes up with 'old' info

Looking for more current thought & experiences

Going to buy a Mini Max but my dealer also has a Joe Jr for $100 less. It's not just the $100. The Joe jr comes with the split plate setter, stainless grid supports and grates. Is 12lbs lighter.

I like the stand on the MM better - seems more sturdy. 

Dealer talked about the hinge & gasket on the JJ. Not sure I like the latch on the JJ

This will be in addition to my XL. Not sure how much Ill be carrying either on around. Not sure how often Ill do a low n slow on the MM when I have the XL. Though I would love to do a pork roast while camping. 

Dealer has one of each in stock.

Am I seeing Red?

Looking for opinions and experiences of each.
XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I like the Joe better except for that nest. A custom carrier can always be made though.  Most folks have to buy additional accessories to get the MM to “cook right”.  

disclaimer: I don’t either one and have no intention of buying one. #vivalamedium
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    XL medium combo is the best if you aren’t going to be mobile very often. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I like the joe jr better because it is taller.  I dont like the stand of either of them.  I put my joe jr in a nest from a small egg.  I also added the small reggulator.  I will say the kamado joe just feels cheaper, but they cook the same.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Agree with Weber.  I have a small and travel with it often.  I pull the "guts" out and I can carry it as is.  More dome room than the MM as well.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I like the joe jr better because it is taller.  I dont like the stand of either of them.  I put my joe jr in a nest from a small egg.  I also added the small reggulator.  I will say the kamado joe just feels cheaper, but they cook the same.

Small 'regulator'? Vent on the bottom?

Also, is that a MM, Joe Jr and a Mini?

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    A few years ago I opted for a KJ Jr. rather than a MiniMax. Have been very happy with it and it's one of my favorite grills.

The stand for the Jr. may look rather spindly but it is very strong. I've never heard of anyone having a stand failure with their Jr.

A couple questions for you tho - what do you mean by "split" plate setter? The "platesetter" in mine is one solid round piece (like a small pizza stone) that sits on the metal support.

What do you mean by latch? The larger KJ models now have a locking latch to keep the dome sealed tight, the KJ Jr. has no latch. The larger model KJ's have a new type of gasket but the KJ Jr. has a more traditional felt type of gasket which is pretty similar to what is on the MiniMax. Unless KJ has just recently released a new model KJ Jr. are you perhaps confusing some of the features between the KJ Jr. and its larger siblings?

As far as cooking, I did a 9 pound boneless pork butt on my KJ Jr. once. It fit fine but it was a tight squeeze and I doubt that I'll do one that large on it again.

I can't say that one is clearly better than the other. What swayed me was the significant price savings and I'm not a diehard Team Green member so I didn't mind adding red to my collection of grills.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    If you want to put it on a table look at the pic above.  Depending on how tall you are, it might not be ideal.  Also, if you're going to travel with it, the Joe Jr sits above your tailgate......more top heavy than a MMx and a cover won't close over it.  

Other thing, a Joe Jr or a Small BGE holds more charcoal, plus you have more height adjustment for the grid--more possibilities.

If you're using it primarily for grilling, then the MMx is fine, but if it's going to be more of a smoker, then you might be better off with a Joe Jr. or Small BGE.

The MMx plate setter sucks, so plan on the Woo and stone from CGS.  Make sure you're not getting an old MMx with the different sized fire box and ring.  As long as it's the new green "complete egg in a box" one, it's definitely a newer one.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    A few years ago I opted for a KJ Jr. rather than a MiniMax. Have been very happy with it and it's one of my favorite grills.

The stand for the Jr. may look rather spindly but it is very strong. I've never heard of anyone having a stand failure with their Jr.

A couple questions for you tho - what do you mean by "split" plate setter? The "platesetter" in mine is one solid round piece (like a small pizza stone) that sits on the metal support.

What do you mean by latch? The larger KJ models now have a locking latch to keep the dome sealed tight, the KJ Jr. has no latch. The larger model KJ's have a new type of gasket but the KJ Jr. has a more traditional felt type of gasket which is pretty similar to what is on the MiniMax. Unless KJ has just recently released a new model KJ Jr. are you perhaps confusing some of the features between the KJ Jr. and its larger siblings?

As far as cooking, I did a 9 pound boneless pork butt on my KJ Jr. once. It fit fine but it was a tight squeeze and I doubt that I'll do one that large on it again.

I can't say that one is clearly better than the other. What swayed me was the significant price savings and I'm not a diehard Team Green member so I didn't mind adding red to my collection of grills.
    Maybe the JJ doesn't have a split plate setter or a latch. Dealer had 2 Kamodo's on the floor (equivalent of a large and xl) and I assumed all the models were the same as far as the gasket and latch. He didn't correct me when I asked about the latch and he said he liked the gasket on the KJ better.

He also said they are selling 10 to 1. 10 KJ's for every 1 BGE due to the accessories, gasket and how light the lids open on them.

Looks like I need to put my hands on a JJ so I know exactly what im looking at to compare it to the MM

Thank you for the clarification.

Also, thank you all for comments - keep them coming!

IG -->  matt_86m
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    HeavyG said:

Maybe the JJ doesn't have a split plate setter or a latch. Dealer had 2 Kamodo's on the floor (equivalent of a large and xl) and I assumed all the models were the same as far as the gasket and latch. He didn't correct me when I asked about the latch and he said he liked the gasket on the KJ better.

He also said they are selling 10 to 1. 10 KJ's for every 1 BGE due to the accessories, gasket and how light the lids open on them.

Looks like I need to put my hands on a JJ so I know exactly what im looking at to compare it to the MM

Thank you for the clarification.

Also, thank you all for comments - keep them coming!
    Correct, the Joe Jr does NOT have the "zero lift" hinge, latch, divide/conquer, new gasket, Kontrol Tower cap, or anything else you'll see on a Gen 2 or 3 Classic or Big Joe.  It's basically a Gen1, or very similar to a Small BGE.  It comes with the stand, ash tool, grill lifter, and plate setter.  You don't really need the fancy hinge on it.....the lid is light.  And you can always replace the gasket with a rutland and get a SW cap if you really wanted to pimp it out.

You can find an unboxing video on YouTube probably.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Matt86m said:

The reggulator is the new BGE cap.  I really like it.  I initially put a smokeware cap on the KJ jr, it wasnt my thing.  The other thing I like about the KJ jr is the lower vent is bigger than the small egg.  One thing I have disliked about what BGE has done with the small/MMX is use the same lower vent from the mini.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Matt86m said:

The reggulator is the new BGE cap.  I really like it.  I initially put a smokeware cap on the KJ jr, it wasnt my thing.  The other thing I like about the KJ jr is the lower vent is bigger than the small egg.  One thing I have disliked about what BGE has done with the small/MMX is use the same lower vent from the mini.
    KAB is coming out with a can for the MMx soon.  That will make it super easy to clean.  I hate that little ash tool!!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Proud card carrying member of the Mini Max Mafia myself. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I'm looking at it from a different perspective to the "buying process" itself. You went to the dealer, fully intent on buying the MM. Then the dealer tried to convince you to purchase a JJ with features that it doesn't have. Not good.

As you commented, definitely do a side-by-side evaluation (without "help" from the dealer) or you may end up with buyer's remorse down the road. 

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Matt86m said:

KAB is coming out with a can for the MMx soon.  That will make it super easy to clean.  I hate that little ash tool!!!!
    I saw that on facebook too.  I dont have any of the cans, but may buy one for the MMX.  I usually wait until I have to take out the fire box and ring to clean it because it annoys me.  Or in the summer I will hit it with the blower after mowing the lawn.  It makes a huge mess, but it makes me smile.
  • EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    Options
    Love my small egg. It’s quickly become my favorite cooker. Definitely look into a CGS woo and stone over the plate setter. It was going to be my camping grill but I ended up with an Akron jr for that. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    I had a Jr. Didn't like the user experience as my as the BGE products. SO I swapped it for the MiniMax. Couldn't be happier. 

Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have an XL and a mMx. 

The mMx has done a great job for me and I would replace it if anything happened.

We take it to tailgate, camping and other events and it has never fIled in the 4-5? years I have owned it.

I am 61, I still carry it by myself. No issues.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    I have a large egg and a KJ Jr.  Love the Joe jr, my next purchase will be red.
    Carrollton, Va
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Not that anyone is going to melt their ceramic cooker in their backyard but the KJ didn’t seem to fair too well in this test compared to the BGE (or Primo, who’s comparison video it is).

https://youtu.be/mxjh43Pyr0s
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    acolle said:
    I had a Jr. Didn't like the user experience as my as the BGE products. SO I swapped it for the MiniMax. Couldn't be happier. 

Genuinely curious as to how you disliked your user experience with the KJ Jr. so much that you felt the need to change to the MiniMax.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Not that anyone is going to melt their ceramic cooker in their backyard but the KJ didn’t seem to fair too well in this test compared to the BGE (or Primo, who’s comparison video it is).

That is an awesome video.  I have always wondered what hidden quality issues were in the kamado joe since it is made in china.  I dont pretend that all china stuff is junk, but they cut corners.  I installed two chinese mini splits in my house in the last 12 months.  They are working awesome, but deep down, I know they are not as good as the japanese units they stole their design from.  It was good to see the BGE and Primo had no issues from the test, and confirmed what I had always thought about the two leaders in ceramic quality.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Cornholio said:

That KJ started to have some problems but you gotta figure they picked the temp, and time to stop the that when they did.  They just didn't run one and done.  Maybe the BGE did better than the primo.

As much as I'm a fan of all of them, it's one of those "who cares" tests to me.  It's like if you sell cooler......... trying to sell one over the other by saying that brand X holds ice for 7 days and the brand X is 8 days.  It's not anything that affects the usability or value to me in the end.

Still a neat video to watch though.
  • cookingdude555
    edited July 2019
    Options
    All of your customers buy Rockwood based on the premise that it is just that much better than the competition. I think people do care about how good the ceramic is.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    @Matt86m
    A few comments for you to consider;
    -With the life expectancy of an egg, I would think the price differential over time would become irrelevant.
    -If you're happy with your XL, I don't see why you are even considering a different mfg.
    -All egg sizes have thier own sweet spot. I have a SBGE and a MMax, both travel well and cook even better. I usually take the innerds out to move them around, no reason to lift it in one piece if you don't have to. They're both very capable and flexible cookers, with the SBGE giving you more cook time due to the depth.

Just my thoughts, not able to comment on the Joe.

Sudbury, Ontario
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    All of your customers buy Rockwood based on the premise that it is just that much better than the competition. I think people do care about how good the ceramic is.
    Agreed, but it's not like we compare ourselves to the competition with some test that doesn't apply to its intended use.  

We could make some tests show how we are better for burning deceased Jedi Knights, but does that make it better for your normal use.....not necessarily.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Agreed, but it's not like we compare ourselves to the competition with some test that doesn't apply to its intended use.  

We could make some tests show how we are better for burning deceased Jedi Knights, but does that make it better for your normal use.....not necessarily.
    Better quality is better quality. People comment all the time about how KJ is better in some insignificant way like having a hinge a baby could lift. I think knowing BGE has better ceramics is relevant here. I like your Jedi Knight reference by the way. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Better quality is better quality. People comment all the time about how KJ is better in some insignificant way like having a hinge a baby could lift. I think knowing BGE has better ceramics is relevant here. I like your Jedi Knight reference by the way. 
    Good point, I have small children and wouldn’t want them to harm themselves opening my egg.  Besides that I can’t really ever recall struggling to lift the lid on my large.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I looked at the Mini, MM, Small and Joe Jr. when I was looking for a second ceramic grill.  I ended up with the Joe Jr and I'm very happy with it.  It's a great compliment to a Large BGE.  It lights quicker, gets up to temp faster and is great for short, hot cooks.  I don't think I'd bother doing a low and slow on it, because my Large Egg is right beside it.  It will burn through coal on a longer cook, so you have to pay attention to that. The size of the firebox is why I ruled out the MM and Mini.  I would have bought a small egg, but I just got a very good deal on the Joe Jr.  I'm very happy, and their customer service/warranty is just as good as BGE....only they want you to submit claims online instead of calling them.  But, still a great warranty and good service. One thing I like is the the ceramic indirect stone, and the equivalent of a PS Woo for raised grid direct cooking came standard with the KJ, which was nice.  I bought mine a few years ago, and I believe they are adding more accessories in their standard pricing now, so you may get more than I did.  The stand is adequate.  I built a small cedar cart to sit mine on and it's now the same height as my Lg BGE.  The idea of putting it in a Small Egg Nest is a great idea, too.   

I will say the only negative is that the ceramics seem less dense on KJ than BGE.  My firebox and firing cracked after just a few months, and they replaced them with no problems...just a few pictures by email to confirm the damage.  Otherwise, no real difference.  They do the same job.  I would buy whichever I got the best deal on.  But, the size is a great compliment to a larger cooker.

I'm in a similar dilemma right now, too.  We are putting in a pool and I want another ceramic grill out near the pool.  Can't decide which size.  I'm almost convinced to go with a Lg Egg or a KJ Classic out there, as it's so versatile, but a small or medium seem like they'd fit the bill for burgers, chicken thighs and brats for poolside dinners.  Can't decide which route to go.  I looked at the Traeger grills for a moment, but I don't like the idea of the pellets and having to deal with buying another type of fuel.  I think I'd rather just buy a Weber Kettle than going that route.  

Anyway, good luck with your search.  I would not hesitate to buy a Joe Jr at all. It's a great little grill.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • DoubleEgger
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I think people do care about how good the ceramic is.
    I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Perhaps a few hard core users care but the overwhelming number of people only care about bells and whistles, curb appeal, and warranty. There’s no rating system or published data on the quality/type of ceramic used so there’s no real way for an average potential purchaser to determine which one has better ceramic. 

It’s like the car ads from the 60s to today. Back then, ads mentioned engine displacements, rear end gear ratios etc. Now all folks want to know is where the i phone charger is. I would suspect that the hood is never opened on at least 80% of new car purchases.