Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found a Crack - now what?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited June 2019 in EggHead Forum
Doing a high temp clean as my egg goey from pork butts - found this crack SUCKS 😑 is this the beginning of the end ??
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    The one on the bottom looks about normal for an XL crack.  The one heading northwest may be more of a problem for you.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Two so close together can’t be good.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Covered by warranty.  This should be replaced sooner rather than later.  You don't want the base to open up during a cook, even if unlikely.  Email these pics to your dealer along with the receipt if you still have it.  Then follow up with a phone call.  No need to cart the entire egg down there if this isn't obvious.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Pictures given to my dealer initiated a simple replacement of my large and mini bases without trouble. 
  • NDG
    Options
    Yikes, bought mine from friend who only had it few months, was upgrading to an XL.  I don’t think I ever got warranty info.  I’ll ask him now but it’s been so long . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I would replace before I used it.  Used Eggs are not under warranty...but you saved some cash hopefully on the purchase. Large base can run $300-400 depends on what area of the country you live.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
    That sucks! Sorry to see that! My plate setter cracked in half about 3 months ago but it's still usable.
  • Flatlander
    Options
    The ring inside my egg cracked and my dealer replaced after receiving a few pics.  The warranty and ease of submitting a claim is one of the many reasons I'm an egghead. 🙂
  • Flatlander
    Options
    One of the first things my dealer told me to do was take a pic of my receipt and store it on the cloud so I could easily locate. Best piece of advice she gave me since I needed it about 6 months after my purchase.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    It is unclear to me why we send off a warranty card to the mothership if it will never be referenced.

The phone call I received yesterday went something like... “ I know this is a pain but do you happen to know when you bought your egg and the serial numbers on the top and bottom”

Me:
     “this is the third warranty claim I have filed in the last year and a half, I mailed my warranty paper work in, bought it from your store, I have spoken with Bruce in the past and provided your distributor with a copy of my receipt already”

My dealer took care of me on this issue but honestly are there any computers involved in the warranty process at bge?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I know every dealer is different but I just email my dealer a pic with my full name and number and they call me when the part is in. I don’t need a receipt because they have a record of the purchase in their system. The base is a PITA to replace but at least you get a free gasket. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I keep copies of my original receipt, and photos of the serial numbers inside the egg.  Dealer also needed pics of crack when he replaced dome on my XL.  Yes I store all that info on the cloud, and will have it handy when base cracks someday.
  • NDG
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I’m back & better than ever - my dealer made is SOOOO easy.  I love the BGE brand more than ever!

Thanks for guidance & @RRP thanks for new gasket.  First cook back some simple chicken thighs - my fav thing to egg !!  Made into simple tacos & then into homemade pesto pasta.  

Now what to do with my old Base ??

Columbus, OH

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Your food looks awesome.  Glad you are back in business.  I would take that base from you if I was near. :)
  • NDG
    Options
    @cookingdude555 thanks!  What would you do with base with crack ?
    Columbus, OH

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2019
    Options
    who is your dealer?     For egg related stuff...
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Firepit or flower pot. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• cookingdude555
    Options
    NDG said:
    @cookingdude555 thanks!  What would you do with base with crack ?
    My brother has one that is cracked far worse.  I might know someone near you if you want to unload it.