Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice

Options
KGilma2018
KGilma2018 Posts: 120
My wife is going to the beach with my mom and sisters this weekend.   I was planning on smoking a slab of St. Louis style ribs Saturday.   Now here's my problem, my mother said I should take my dad out to dinner.  I told her my plan to make ribs which he would love.  However he eats early (5pm sharp) and I have an 8:30 tee time Saturday morning.  I can't figure out how I can play 18 (assiming 4 hr round) an hour to light and get the egg stable and have ribs smoked(5 hr cook) by 5pm.  Any suggestions how I can accomplish this? Can I partially smoke them Friday night for say 2 -3 hr and finish Saturday afternoon? 
Franklin, TN

Comments

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    turbo ribs and you'll have time to spare
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Second on the turbo. Just make sure the rub you use doesn’t have a lot of sugar in it.  I cooked some st Louis ribs Saturday at 300° or so and they were done in about 3 hours. Higher temp would be done even quicker. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    I guess I could do that.  I just like them low and slow.   
    Franklin, TN
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    I guess I could do that.  I just like them low and slow.   
    i have tried both ways and can not notice any difference

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    You should explain your situation and see what happens.  Jazz it up to really sell your preferred option.  He may find the appeal of the menu worth the change in schedule.  Besides if not, you are no worse off than if you hadn't given it a shot. 
    The other real fact is that a few hours into your preferred cook method you front-up and say the cook is running long and likely won't finish until around---.  You need to figure out which way to play this in advance.  You can't sell both concepts-he will see right thru 'em.
    Upon further review-very light appetizers at 5 PM with the main show when the ribs are good to go.  Good luck however it sorts out. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Get the egg stable before your tee time without the meat. Accelerate the cook enough to hit your time. 
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    I vote turbo ribs.  My best ribs have been turbo spares!
    NC - LBGE
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Keep that tee time and manage the cook from your Flameboss!  I do it all the time from my golf cart.
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Get the egg stable before your tee time without the meat. Accelerate the cook enough to hit your time. 
    I may do that, just keep it low around 250 and throw the slab on as soon as I get home and bump the heat up to 300.
    Franklin, TN
  • Srf_in_Dfw
    Srf_in_Dfw Posts: 42
    Options
    Do you have a sous vide? If so, I'd go that route.
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    Do you have a sous vide? If so, I'd go that route.
    I don't have one, but that is a good idea.  I decided I'm going to cook ribs Sunday, and take him out to dinner Saturday night, instead.
    Franklin, TN
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Tell him to eat a snack
    South of Columbus, Ohio.