Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to re-season my Blackstone

Never had any issue with my 28", but after less than a year I've got some pretty bad flaking with my 36.   Have always taken care to ensure it stayed well oiled before, during, and after each cook (I use canola).  My main question is around stripping it down.   Anyone had to do this before who can provide any tips on stripping it?   I've read too many bad experiences with Flax when it comes to re-seasoning, so I'm probably just going back to canola again and hoping for better results this time around. 

--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    Hit it with a grinder and use grapeseed oil. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited July 2019
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i seasoned it once with bacon, leave it in the rain and snow all year, never had this problem =) and i ate the bacon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian said:
    Jesus :D :bawling:  While that looks effective, I might just sell it and start over.  

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    i seasoned it once with bacon, leave it in the rain and snow all year, never had this problem =) and i ate the bacon
    Good to know. I have a 17" BS and I always scrape it, apply more oil and store inside between uses. Which means I don't use it often because that's a PITA. I'm going to try your approach. Maybe I'll actually USE the thing more than twice a year! It would actually be quite a handy gadget if I could just leave it out. I do have the BS canvas cover so maybe I'll throw that over it. Which will probably trap moisture and cause it to rust. We'll see.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• i seasoned it once with bacon, leave it in the rain and snow all year, never had this problem =) and i ate the bacon
    Crazy.  I use mine 2-3 times a week year-round.   I did use bacon as well, but only after all of the applications of oil.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2019

Works wonders on my cast iron, I'm assuming it would work the same on carbon steel.  Just spray it down and press some plastic wrap over the entire surface and let it sit over night. Should be down to bare metal the next morning with some light scrubbing.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Mine went to hell and I took a pumice stone and some peanut oil and scrubbed till it was smooth then seasoned it.

ive used a ton of flaxseed oil for seasoning and love it. You just have to be careful to use a very thin layer. What horror stories have you heard?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mine went to hell and I took a pumice stone and some peanut oil and scrubbed till it was smooth then seasoned it.

ive used a ton of flaxseed oil for seasoning and love it. You just have to be careful to use a very thin layer. What horror stories have you heard?
    Bad flaking mostly, and that in hindsight the canola/olive was just as good.   It was on the internet, so I just assumed that it was true ;) 

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2019
    Serious Eats does not recommend using Flax oil for seasoning. 

* For the record, we've found that the often-suggested flaxseed oil produces a fast layer of seasoning, but it has a tendency to flake off with use. We don't recommend it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • I used Flax on some pricey iron a few years back and after much flaking, I’ve resolved never to use it again. 

Crisco does the beat job from my perspective. 
  • jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Pure lard or crisco if you don't have lard.

Guess bacon drippings would be the same as lard.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• SonVolt
    edited July 2019
    I use Crisco for the full seasoning process, otherwise Grape Seed oil for day to day maintenance. I got tired of the fish stank smell of burning Canola oil. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I've found lard to work best when seasoning Blackstones. You can buy a big tub for a few bucks at Walmart. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    lkapigian said:
    Thanks Larry!  

One word of advise, while that worked, I actually did it again, but I used an angle grinder with a paint and rust wheel like the below, and that zipped it off way faster.  

You can also buy a new top from Blackstone if you want.  

https://amzn.to/2XBwlnq

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Good to know. I have a 17" BS and I always scrape it, apply more oil and store inside between uses. Which means I don't use it often because that's a PITA. I'm going to try your approach. Maybe I'll actually USE the thing more than twice a year! It would actually be quite a handy gadget if I could just leave it out. I do have the BS canvas cover so maybe I'll throw that over it. Which will probably trap moisture and cause it to rust. We'll see.
    i use the canvas cover, it pools up on top but the griddle isnt rusting. i just scrape and towel at cleanup and do a better cleanup when bringing the temps up for the next cook. im not bothered with light surface rust that turns black with added oil
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I don't think your seasoning looks that bad. It seems like the flaking is mostly in a circle in the middle. I would try just sanding off the flaking seasoning and then season on top and fill in. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    We do a wipe with a towel to get the cooked bits off while still hot , and a wipe with canola oil to grease it down for the next cook. Zero problems. Trick is not to neglect that each time. 

When doing your first seasoning, I’d recommend a high heat oil - we use avocado oil I think - and aromatics. Think: green onions. Medium high heat and push the oil around with tongs holding a huge bunch of cheap green onion stalks. They’re a buck each at my local Asian market. Burn them up while pushing the oil around. We do this for all cast iron and steel. Chop up an onion and squish a clove of garlic in there too. 

Smells nice. Don’t eat! :)

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SonVolt said:
    I use Crisco for the full seasoning process, otherwise Grape Seed oil for day to day maintenance. I got tired of the fish stank smell of burning Canola oil. 
    Interesting.  Do you liquify the crisco or just wipe it on?

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • We do a wipe with a towel to get the cooked bits off while still hot , and a wipe with canola oil to grease it down for the next cook. Zero problems. Trick is not to neglect that each time. 

When doing your first seasoning, I’d recommend a high heat oil - we use avocado oil I think - and aromatics. Think: green onions. Medium high heat and push the oil around with tongs holding a huge bunch of cheap green onion stalks. They’re a buck each at my local Asian market. Burn them up while pushing the oil around. We do this for all cast iron and steel. Chop up an onion and squish a clove of garlic in there too. 

Smells nice. Don’t eat! :)

Oh yes, did all of that with this one and the one before.   Seasoned with canola, burned up some green onions, then a pound of bacon.   Then kept covered in garage, oiled up during and after each cook.   

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • I don't think your seasoning looks that bad. It seems like the flaking is mostly in a circle in the middle. I would try just sanding off the flaking seasoning and then season on top and fill in. 

Was wondering about that actually, because I agree, overall its fine, just the center portion.   And for most cooks other then hibachi, I'm off to the left or right most of the time.   

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    @tarheelmatt - hungry Hussey is the man. Great channel. His character shines through. Worth your time. 
  • @tarheelmatt - hungry Hussey is the man. Great channel. His character shines through. Worth your time. 
    Oh yea man, familiar with him and not questioning that technique.   mine is just not nowhere near what's in that video.   So just not sure if I need to go to that extent.  Maybe I do, I have no idea.   If so I'm gonna be dealing with the flakes for a bit.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    @tarheelmatt - hungry Hussey is the man. Great channel. His character shines through. Worth your time. 
    Oh yea man, familiar with him and not questioning that technique.   mine is just not nowhere near what's in that video.   So just not sure if I need to go to that extent.  Maybe I do, I have no idea.   If so I'm gonna be dealing with the flakes for a bit.

Thanks guys for the kind words. 

I agree with SmokeyPitt and spot reseason maybe. 

Ive done that here and there. I used the below. 

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/shop/griddle-refurbishment-kit-with-stainless-steel-handle/

If you order from Blackstone you can use code HungryHussey at checkout for 10% off and free shipping. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site