Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redneck XL Jotisserie and maiden voyage (pic heavy)

Made a template...

Sliced off one end of the drum from our clothes dryer that died after 30 years, crimped and bent the sharp tabs...

Cut a few slots and added couple of brackets...

Shifted off center... fits well in front but has gaps at the back...

Built couple of fences...

Found a funny long piece of pork butt, marinaded with Walkerswood marinade (added extra allspice) and tied up with butcher string for jerk pork roast.  To compensate for the poor fit at the back, I kept the top and bottom vents fully shut all the time. Fortunately it maintained constant 325F.  Temperature shot up to 350F after I opened to check IT and take pics etc. at the 2-hr mark. Pulled at 3-hr mark when IT hit 185-190.

Finished roast had darker bark than this, sliced up real nice - juicy/mild/tender inside, spicy bark outside.

Quite happy with the performance but there's still room for improvement. Plan to rework the gap and make a Permatex gasket for the bottom.

Glad I had the grease pan.  Interesting burn pattern... red hot on the exposed fence side, not so much on the firebox side.

Also have a short video of this in action but can't figure out what format or how to upload video. Any expert help welcome.

canuckland

Comments