Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Missed Temp

Options
Bwill
Bwill Posts: 102
Cooked a pork butt today.  13 hours and only made it to 175.  I am out of time today.  I wrapped in foil.  Should I throw it in the oven tomorrow to finish it?  How did I save this from disaster?

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Give up on the L&S especially with butts. Bump up the temp to 300-325 and shave 6 hours off your cook. You call always FTC and hold until needed 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Bwill
    Options
    Probably not a bad idea.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    To answer your question-you can finish in the oven as long as it remains tightly foil wrapped so it won't lose moisture. 
    Happy Birthday USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I've got no issue with the above "disagree" but if so, then post an alternative option. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’m in the same boat this mornin. 10lber been on since 8pm @250° and just now hittin 165.  Just double wrapped and cranking the temp 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Bwill
    Options
    I ended up throwing in the oven last night to reach final temp.  Up until 1:30am 😡.  Not my best night.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Bwill said:
    I ended up throwing in the oven last night to reach final temp.  Up until 1:30am 😡.  Not my best night.
    Been there.  Huge fan of turbo butt ever since.  I'm living a similar folly with this baby brisket flat now haha
    NC - LBGE
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Pork Butts are very forgiving.
    If you want to finish the cook sooner, bump up your cooking temperature.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I've got no issue with the above "disagree" but if so, then post an alternative option. 
    My oven is most definitely a bbq tool, I've got warmers on my trailer that are no different than the oven in my house, like you say wrap tight and hood to go, no smoke going to penetrate foil, the Q has done its job after a few hours 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Bwill
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.  Trying slow and low to produce the best bbq but still ran out of time.  Back to the drawing board.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Bwill you are on the right drawing board.  You can get great L&S results running in the 240-280*F range on the calibrated dome.  Most LBGE's (don't know your size) have a sweet spot in that range where they will settle in very nicely.  Load your rig up into the fire ring (you about double your lump capacity if you go close to the top of the ring).   Get it stable and go again.  Stealing from a worn phrase around here-the protein drives the cook and some can average 0.8 hrs/lb and others 1.3hrs/lb with about the same cook temp. 
    You can also check out the turbo method thru the search function and mentioned above.
    Remember, the longer the cook the more SWMBO escape time with the requisite adult supervisory beverages.  FWIW-
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You did not mention what size butt, nor your dome temp.  I try to allow about 2 hours cook time per pound plus 2 1/2 hours for cooler time.  If get done early the cooler will hold it longer.  This is at 240 to 250 dome temp
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Bwill said:
    Cooked a pork butt today.  13 hours and only made it to 175.  I am out of time today.  I wrapped in foil.  Should I throw it in the oven tomorrow to finish it?  How did I save this from disaster?
    Can’t go wrong with the turbo butt method. 350°, indirect. Gets you closer to 45 minutes per lb. 
  • Scout706
    Scout706 Posts: 27
    Options
    If it ever happens again, order pizza and finish the butt in a crock pot. I prop mine off the bottom with balled aluminum foil to keep the bark out of the liquid.