Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time BGE Owner - XL with Modular Nest

Options
marcdc
marcdc Posts: 126
edited July 2019 in EggHead Forum
Hey Everyone,

I'm a first time BGE owner and have been lurking on this forum for about a month or so. Thank you to everyone here for their input! This forum is a such a great resource, especially when you're starting from scratch. A good friend of mine has an XL built into a custom stone island/outdoor kitchen, and every time he's used it I've been amazed at the results. 

Recently I moved out of NYC and relocated to MD, just outside of DC. Now that I actually have a backyard, rather than pigeons sh*tting on a balcony, it was time to get a BGE.

I purchased the BGE during Memorial Day Weekend, and the place I bought it from was offering a free EGGspander kit, free convEGGtor, the new rEGGulator cap, 20lbs of charcoal, free installation and delivery, and 10% off accessories. I took advantage of the 10% off accessories and added three of the Modular Nest pieces, the main holder and then one on each side. Decided to go with the stainless tops and the distressed acacia wood inserts on caster wheels. I love the way that it looks, although I'm still not 100% sold on the distressed grey look vs the color that matches the XL's main handle.

I also purchased an XL Kick Ash bucket, a Thermopop pen, and the Thermoworks Smoke thermometer. Thanks to the people here for posting about the Ace Hardware Rockwood Charcoal deal because I picked up 4 bags of Rockwood Charcoal too haha.

Haven't been able to use it yet since there's still some construction/renovations going on at the house and we're not fully moved in yet, but once we do I plan on christening it with some ribs (gonna try the Car Wash Mike recipe the first time). Super pumped to cook on it!

Oh, one last thing, the place I bought the BGE from sent me an email today saying there's a new Modular Nest option with cabinet doors. The wife would kill me right now, but I think I want to add one more regular Modular piece with stainless tops on the right side, and then also this new cabinet at the end to make a proper "L Shape" configuration. But there's time for that I suppose. Below is what the new piece looks like:

Looking forward to joining the forum! Can't wait to post pictures of the first cook!

Comments