Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever wax your egg?

Options
2»

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,667
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    To each his own brother. I have enough to do without creating more work. That’s all. 
    That is how I feel about waxing a car.
    Then my car looks better than yours. And it’s paint lasts longer. Given I’m a car enthusiast. 

20k posts indicates that you are a egg enthusiast. Time to give back, wax it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    did you wash it first or just start with the wax =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I'm thinking the wax would burn off after the first use. 

I use Formula 409 on the ceramic, bands and nest. The result is excellent. Egg is clean and has a brilliant shine, just like new.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I did think about waxing my semi truck today
    I need to wax the boat and SWMBO's Benz. Sigh, I was going to take the 4th off, drink heavily and compose my prose for the Friday thread.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Bill_Swerski
    Options
    big time car detailer here.  that wax won't hurt it, but it will evaporate pretty quickly.  in direct sun, it might last a few weeks.  but it will only take probably one or two medium temp cooks for it to all evaporate.

what you really should do is ceramic coat it - buy a few of these, and then clean the egg thoroughly and wipe these all over it.  unlike the wax, the ceramic coating these will apply will probably last two years.  the ceramic coating by itself is always going to last that long, but the beauty is that, unlike wax, it doesn't care about the heat.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/specials/sub-category-1/ceramic-metal-coating-wipe.html

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I wax my cars all the time too. I like to use a 4 step protection system. 
    Image result for lava shield car wash

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Isn't the glaze porous? So some of that oil slurry is under the glaze now. I'm interested to see it after the first cook. It looks good right now though. 
    Ive wondered about it too. Since it’s beeswax and food grade mineral oil, I think it’s ok if it actually gets sucked in. 

Personally, I’m a fan. Keeps them shining and makes it easier to wipe grease and spot off of ‘em. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194590/pimp-my-egg/p1
    Does it stay on, or burn off?
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Waxing both my eggs as we speak....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Waxing both my eggs as we speak....
    It’s trending ...
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I watched a Youtube and a guy was using mineral oil instead of canola oil on the outside of his offset smoker. He said yes, it came off under high heat. The reason he was using it though was because it didn’t get sticky like other oils that don’t get hot enough to polymerize. 
    That has nothing to do with waxing the egg. Here’s the thing though, if it makes the egg look better and a fellow wants to wax his egg - what does it hurt? Wax on...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 260
    Options
    big time car detailer here.  that wax won't hurt it, but it will evaporate pretty quickly.  in direct sun, it might last a few weeks.  but it will only take probably one or two medium temp cooks for it to all evaporate.

what you really should do is ceramic coat it - buy a few of these, and then clean the egg thoroughly and wipe these all over it.  unlike the wax, the ceramic coating these will apply will probably last two years.  the ceramic coating by itself is always going to last that long, but the beauty is that, unlike wax, it doesn't care about the heat.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/specials/sub-category-1/ceramic-metal-coating-wipe.html

Your name isn't Adam by chance?
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Just throw your egg in the back of a truck and run it through there.
    NOLA
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I watched a Youtube and a guy was using mineral oil instead of canola oil on the outside of his offset smoker. He said yes, it came off under high heat. The reason he was using it though was because it didn’t get sticky like other oils that don’t get hot enough to polymerize. 
    That has nothing to do with waxing the egg. Here’s the thing though, if it makes the egg look better and a fellow wants to wax his egg - what does it hurt? Wax on...
    yeah that is what is in this blend.  I believe it is just beeswax and mineral oil.  I think I will continue wiping the handles down with this to protect them.  I may occasionally wipe the bands, nest, and anything that is not the ceramic to protect them.  But the ceramic I am not sure I will keep this up.  I mean this is my oldest, dirtiest egg, and if it can get back to showroom shine, then frequent cleanings are not needed.  But it was an interesting discovery.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Just throw your egg in the back of a truck and run it through there.
    this is genius
  • Bill_Swerski
    Options
    HogFather said:

Your name isn't Adam by chance?
    I wish!
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Isn't the glaze porous? So some of that oil slurry is under the glaze now. I'm interested to see it after the first cook. It looks good right now though. 
    Ive wondered about it too. Since it’s beeswax and food grade mineral oil, I think it’s ok if it actually gets sucked in. 

Personally, I’m a fan. Keeps them shining and makes it easier to wipe grease and spot off of ‘em. 

I wasn't concerned so much about the wax going in as I was about it coming out on the first cook. There has been a couple of pics of some nasty stuff coming out of the glaze pores during a hot cook with a water soaked egg. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I'm thinking trying Ceramic Coating on my egg.... it worked on my 911! B)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    not now....not eva.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I don't think so. I clean the grate in my eggs, and that's all.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    I don't paint the fence either.

Image result for wax on wax off

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    How about “sand the floor”?
    Flint, Michigan
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Toxarch said:

I wasn't concerned so much about the wax going in as I was about it coming out on the first cook. There has been a couple of pics of some nasty stuff coming out of the glaze pores during a hot cook with a water soaked egg. 
    I've had that happen.  After a few cooks and constantly wiping it down with a towel, it's good as new.  When I'm monitoring the egg many times I'll just bring a wet dish towel out and wipe down the egg.  Then I have a hot towel for my hands after!
    NC - LBGE