Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - lost heat overnight

Looking for some advice.  Put 2 8# butts on last night at 1am.  Had 225 as my target temp.  Sometime and for some reason, I only had 125 grid temp at 7am.   The butts were measuring 125.  Don't know when the temp went south.  Have I lost those butts?   Can I ramp up the heat and keep cooking?   Should I ditch and restart?  Thanks for any recommendations.  

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    Fire it back up and cook on.

My eggs will sit at 270ish for hours on their own. I suspect your issue is with trying to hold such low temps that really offer no benefit 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    ColtsFan said:
    Fire it back up and cook on.

My eggs will sit at 270ish for hours on their own. I suspect your issue is with trying to hold such low temps that really offer no benefit 
    Agreed. This happened to me once and I was holding it too low. Not enough air flow to keep the lump going. Mine holds 250ish perfectly depending on the age of my gasket. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited June 2019
    I agree with the above two posts and might add that a pit temp controller may be in your future.  I own a Stoker which I've had for more than five years but more recently, Flame Boss, has seemingly garnered a nice following within the forum.  The pit controllers can really help you sleep at night.  (I still like the idea of raising your temp to at least 235F, or so, though, and 250F is a nice sweet spot for me, too.)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Forget the pit controller, and forget smoking at 225°.  Neither of them are necessary.  I've never done an overnight cook, and I've cooked a bunch of pork butts.  There is NO benefit to cooking at that low a temperature, and lots of reasons not to.  
  • Turbo butts are the only way to go.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    My egg will only hold 250 with out the flame boss. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    I love the overnights and refuse to buy a controller.  However, i did purchase an improved fire grate a few years back. Have had really good luck. Probably $25-$30. But will add that i have my very best luck at 250 - 265 with holding steady. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • mahenryak
    edited June 2019
    So, @friscotex , to each his own, but here's why I love a pit controller.  I've got a couple of pork shoulders on today.  Check out the horizontal red line, which is indicative of the pit temp.  Steady as she goes, and great peace of mind when you're doing an overnight cook.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Temps in 250 -300 range don’t need controller.. save your money
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    I also love the overnights.  Have done them Turbo and really, I see no difference in the end product, but I just enjoy the whole process of the overnight cooks...just my two cents.
  • mahenryak
    Agreed @JohnnyTarheel.  Not needed. But sure enjoyable.  BTW I can get pretty much the same result with a 235 or 240 overnight cook.  Below 235 things can get a little sketchy for me.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Even at my age, over-nights (no controller) when needed to hit the finish-line deliverable time-line are enjoyable.  Helps when nature calls quite frequently so you can accomplish more than one thing at a time.  The end result is the goal, many ways to get there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I suppose it's a bit like a tomahawk ribeye, but I feel like you get bonus street cred when the guests learn that you threw it on last night. I don't think there's a bit of difference between 225 and 250, but did not care for the turbo butts/ribs. Wish I did because of the convenience.
    Stillwater, MN
  • mahenryak
    edited June 2019
    One more kind of cool thing that I like about the controllers is the ability to light the lump, set your configuration rig inside, and then walk away and let it come up to temp.  Sheesh, you'd think I'm selling these things but I'm not.  I'm just a bit of gadgets nerd when it comes to BBQ, I think.  When it comes to overnight cooks, I do agree with @lousubcap that meeting a deadline or maybe just freeing up my time in the afternoon are reasons why I occasionally still do these cooks.  And they are enjoyable for me, too.  Just something about it. 

I guess what factors in to my cooking temp during an overnight cook more than anything else--is my desired finishing time the next day.  Yes, you can adjust the time you start the cook but it's also a bit of a challenge to try and plan based on temps, too.  Of course, it's not even close to being an exact science but that's what makes it fun.

Put a fork in me... Mercifully, I'm done with this topic, now.  :blush: