Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm Jumping On The Bandwagon - Tomahawk

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,025
My wife surprised me with tomahawk ribeye earlier this week. I finally had some time yesterday evening to dedicate some time to the cook. The ribeye itself was pushing 3lbs. 

I tossed the ribeye on the Large for some low/slow action.

I put together a feta cheese topping for the steak.

I misjudged the size of the Small when firing it up for searing. 

Coming off the egg.

Topped.

Cut.

Served.

My first go around with a Tomahawk. I have to admit it was a fun cook. I'm not one of the biggest ribeye fans but I can officially check off "Tomahawk" on the list of cooks wanting to do. Thanks for looking!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Yummy!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Looks good. Ribeye is my favorite cut of steak. How long did you cook indirect?
  • WeberWho
    smokingal said:
    Yummy!
    Thanks!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    GaBGE said:
    Looks good. Ribeye is my favorite cut of steak. How long did you cook indirect?
    Thanks! 

I kept an eye on the internal temp. So I'm not sure the overall time when I was indirect. My guess would be +/- 45 minutes. The egg was hanging around 270 degrees during that time. 

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Looks like a repeater to me. Gawjus!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    Looks like a repeater to me. Gawjus!
    Thanks much northGAcock!

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Way to have fun with the cut and nail the cook.  Next time cook it with that fireball sear for guests.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    That looks fantastic!   Looks like you nailed the cook! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • WeberWho
    lousubcap said:
    Way to have fun with the cut and nail the cook.  Next time cook it with that fireball sear for guests.  Congrats.
    Hey thanks! Flames are always fun on the BGE. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Sea2Ski said:
    That looks fantastic!   Looks like you nailed the cook! 
    Thank you Sea2Ski!

Minnesota
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I've not tried one yet, but you make it hard not to.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Outstanding execution of this cook! Delicious!

Brandon - Ohio

• WeberWho
    bucky925 said:
    I've not tried one yet, but you make it hard not to.
    Hey thanks bucky925! 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Outstanding execution of this cook! Delicious!
    Thank you Leopoldstoch! It was kind of fun getting a couple eggs fired up. 

Minnesota
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Congrats on a great cook! Great idea on the sandwich... I saw some tomahawks today at costco in a 2 pack package for $155... Had to laugh, more expensive then SNF, costco has great meat  but not at that price....
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • WeberWho
    Congrats on a great cook! Great idea on the sandwich... I saw some tomahawks today at costco in a 2 pack package for $155... Had to laugh, more expensive then SNF, costco has great meat  but not at that price....
    Thanks BGEChicago! 

Ouch on the $155. Some type of wagyu tomahawks? 

Minnesota
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    THAT was ridiculously good looking...
  • WeberWho
    EagleIII said:
    THAT was ridiculously good looking...
    You're too nice EagleIII. Appreciate it!

Minnesota
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Holy cow!  I saw some incredible tomahawks at Costco today.  I went with prime beef tenderloin instead.  Wish I would’ve got both now.  
  • WeberWho
    Holy cow!  I saw some incredible tomahawks at Costco today.  I went with prime beef tenderloin instead.  Wish I would’ve got both now.  
    Thanks RockyTopDW! You're going to be eating good with that prime beef tenderloin you picked up. 

Minnesota
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Looks delicious!!!!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Glad the tomahawk is getting the recognition.  The cut and techniques (whatever method you use) have been around here at least seven years or so.  I found a good looking one Friday at Costco and it is gonna get cooked/inhaled Monday night.  Dry brining now.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    msloan said:
    Looks delicious!!!!
    Hey thanks msloan!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho

Ive joined the bandwagon as well and loving it 
    @unoriginalusername You crushed it! Those look spectacular. That last pic needs to be your new wallpaper on your phone. Awesome!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    lousubcap said:
    Glad the tomahawk is getting the recognition.  The cut and techniques (whatever method you use) have been around here at least seven years or so.  I found a good looking one Friday at Costco and it is gonna get cooked/inhaled Monday night.  Dry brining now.  FWIW-
    Right on. I wish I didn't have the offset taken apart when doing this cook. Would have loved to gone with sticks for the low/slow. Next time...

Minnesota
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Mighty fine brother... I need to try one as well 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • WeberWho
    Mighty fine brother... I need to try one as well 
    Thanks Johnny! A fun cook if you're a ribeye fan. 

Minnesota
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Beautiful cook! And strong use of the leftovers. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM