Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked chicken

Topperz
Topperz Posts: 27
edited January 2018 in Cookbook
hey guys, looking to do a smoked chicken.  Any recommendations?  I’ve done them before but looking for something different...I can inject, smoke, beer can etc.  Looking forward to recipes and ideas. 

Great White North eh
Lg & Xl BGEggs...Camp Chef Flat Top Grill / Griddle

Comments

• Bge is a good chicken rig. I like the smoke better when it runs hot- especially on chicken. I spatchcock and Cook indirect at around 400 as high up in the dome as I can. Will get plenty of good smoke and crispy skin like that. Takes 45 min to an hour. My favorite rub is basically salt and pepper with a little granulated garlic 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    Bge is a good chicken rig. I like the smoke better when it runs hot- especially on chicken. I spatchcock and Cook indirect at around 400 as high up in the dome as I can. Will get plenty of good smoke and crispy skin like that. Takes 45 min to an hour. My favorite rub is basically salt and pepper with a little granulated garlic 
    Agree. I prefer raised direct though. 

Mickey’s Coffee Rub is good on yardbird. 

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Go low n slow raised direct.  Damn good chicken.  Here’s how I do it. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194056/slow-cooked-bbq-chicken-smoked-potato-salad-and-baked-beans/p1

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Give "pulled chix" a look thru the search function.  You can run for hours L&S.  Really a different outcome for the yard-bird.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Topperz
    Ok, so I tried something different and it really turned out great.  I normally do a spatchcock chicken indirect at about 400,  this time I did a spatchcock chicken at 235 for 7 hours.

put chunks of peach wood in with the lump and on the lump.  Had fire stabilized at 235 deg for about 2 hours and then put the chicken on.

cooked it until an internal tempo of 165 and took it off.  Put on at 10:30 and took off at 5:30.

did a rub of salt, pepper and garlic.  Basted twice during the cook with a vinegar, butter, water and salt mixture and then reapplied some rub

skin was crispy, meat fell off the bone and was not dry at all with a nice smoke flavour.
    Great White North eh
  • Topperz
    @Mattman3969, thanks for the link...I will definitely try that next!!
    Great White North eh
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @Topperz - great cook and result.  Sounds like a pulled chix cook right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    @Topperz use this to upload your pics 
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Great results on that cook. Nice plump bird too.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Nice 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    I like a raised-direct (link) spatchcocked with Simon and Garfunkel rub, which I can do after work any night of the week. I have this probably twice a month, at least.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • allenguo
    allenguo Posts: 5
    Want to have an egg to survive, egg tray can solve this problem perfectly.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 

Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited June 2019
    Nice bookmark thread growing here  . . Chankin  =)
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”