Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin question

wocotiger7
wocotiger7 Posts: 27
edited June 2019 in EggHead Forum
Looking at doing two whole tenderloins Friday evening for my supper club. How do you do yours? I marinade mine in olive oil, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper. I typically sear all sides at 400’, then put on a vrack for 30-40 minutes until I get in internal temp of 130. Pull and rest. Thoughts, or ways you have done differently in the past that have tasted better.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Large BGE, platesetter, cast iron grate, ivation meat thermometer

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2019
    I have made mine similar to above many times and they are always great/
    Making one this weekend as well.
    Going to cook with just salt and pepper and top with a basic Gremolata after I slice for something different.
    Have an Uncle in Law that make a fantastic Christmas Eve Dinner every year. He always uses a coffee rub with hard sear. Not a big fan.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    For normal cooks I like a reverse sear - 225 until 120, rest, and sear at however high I can get the temp before I starve! Never used oil, generally use my favorite rub du jour.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Looking at doing two whole tenderloins Friday evening for my supper club. How do you do yours? I marinade mine in olive oil, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper. I typically sear all sides at 400’, then put on a vrack for 30-40 minutes until I get in internal temp of 130. Pull and rest. Thoughts, or ways you have done differently in the past that have tasted better.
    I'm a big fan of APL's tenderloin recipe.  Worth a try if you've never had it
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Looking at doing two whole tenderloins Friday evening for my supper club. How do you do yours? I marinade mine in olive oil, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper. I typically sear all sides at 400’, then put on a vrack for 30-40 minutes until I get in internal temp of 130. Pull and rest. Thoughts, or ways you have done differently in the past that have tasted better.
    I know the meat drives the cook but how long on average do these normally take?
  • wocotiger7
    wocotiger7 Posts: 27
    @Lowcountrygamecock, give yourself under an hour typically.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Large BGE, platesetter, cast iron grate, ivation meat thermometer

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    johnnyp said:
    Yep, this is can't miss.  Flavor profile on the crust is incredible if you do even half the steps, and for this one, there aren't actually all that many.  Just the Worcestershire and honey alone with the rub works really well.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    What they said....but i pull mine at 120 max. And don't forget the horseradish sauce. Don't try and use the horseradish that has been in your frig since Christmas holidays. Purchase some fresh stuff.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Yno said:
    For normal cooks I like a reverse sear - 225 until 120, rest, and sear at however high I can get the temp before I starve! Never used oil, generally use my favorite rub du jour.
    This is what I do.  Often only salt and pepper.  I usually serve with a horseradish or red wine based sauce.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Yno said:
    This is what I do.  Often only salt and pepper.  I usually serve with a horseradish or red wine based sauce.
    +1 for the reverse sear. S&P with a touch of my favorite rub.  Fresh Horseradish as well.  I use oak for some smoke. Oak and beef are made for each other. Turns out great. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    johnnyp said:
    I used APL’s recipe for the past 2 Christmas dinners and it is always a huge hit! 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    I've done the APL with a reverse sear.  Lots of steps, but spectacular result.  Here's the thread and recipe (I think), with lots of pix.  

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2246386#Comment_2246386

Be sure to keep us posted!  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I did one in a salt crust one Christmas, and I don't recommend it.  Crust was table salt and a bunch of egg whites, and its the only thing I've seen bog down my Kitchenaid mixer to a stop.  I had to finish the kneading by hand, and was pretty damn sweaty by the time it was finished (so much for the dress shirt/tie).  
    I used a probe thermometer and nailed the temp okay, and had to admit the presentation is kinda cool; you have to shatter the crust with a hammer and lift the tenderloin out.  It was swimming in its own juices (thought it'd be too salty but it was seasoned perfectly).  Very tender, very juicy, but no crust on the meat!  Tenderloin doesn't have a huge "beefy" taste in the first place, so it was kinda bland without any crust; won't be doing it that way again.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Botch said:
    I did one in a salt crust one Christmas, and I don't recommend it.  Crust was table salt and a bunch of egg whites, and its the only thing I've seen bog down my Kitchenaid mixer to a stop.  I had to finish the kneading by hand, and was pretty damn sweaty by the time it was finished (so much for the dress shirt/tie).  
    I used a probe thermometer and nailed the temp okay, and had to admit the presentation is kinda cool; you have to shatter the crust with a hammer and lift the tenderloin out.  It was swimming in its own juices (thought it'd be too salty but it was seasoned perfectly).  Very tender, very juicy, but no crust on the meat!  Tenderloin doesn't have a huge "beefy" taste in the first place, so it was kinda bland without any crust; won't be doing it that way again.  
    Great summary!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    I season with Stubbs Beef Rub and cook direct at 400 at the felt line. Simple and tastes great!
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • Srf_in_Dfw
    Srf_in_Dfw Posts: 42
    Sous Vide does the trick for me. Then sear on cast Iron. 
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX