Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: robot vacuum

2»

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    NDG said:
    Buy a roomba at Costco, that way when I craps out you can get a new one.  I'm on my third.  
    @stlcharcoal  Can you explain this?  What crapped out and what is Costcos Warranty compared to buying from Amazon or BBB?
    Costco is a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.  So, years later if it dies, you take it back and they give you a refund.

The first Roomba stopped working after a year or so.....dead.  So I took it back, they credited $300-something to my credit card, and I walked back and bought a brand new one for $300-something.

Two years later, that one didn't have enough battery to last 5 minutes, so I took it back, got $300-something credited to my credit card, walked back and bought a brand new one for $300-something.  

If/when this one dies, see above.

Amazon, BBB, etc don't offer that.  I think it's 60-90 to return.  The manufacturer or your credit card may give you more coverage, but Sam's and Costco are lifetime unless it's a TV or computer (then it's double the manufacturer's.)
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    #8yearoldchristmastree

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I seem to remember a video somewhere where a family had a Roomba in addition to dogs. One day the dog did its bidness all over the floor. The Roomba spread that literal S all over the house. For that reason above any other I would never own one.
    perhaps this is a dog problem? poor robot just doing his job.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    NDG said:
    Buy a roomba at Costco, that way when I craps out you can get a new one.  I'm on my third.  
    @stlcharcoal  Can you explain this?  What crapped out and what is Costcos Warranty compared to buying from Amazon or BBB?
    Costco is a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.  So, years later if it dies, you take it back and they give you a refund.

The first Roomba stopped working after a year or so.....dead.  So I took it back, they credited $300-something to my credit card, and I walked back and bought a brand new one for $300-something.

Two years later, that one didn't have enough battery to last 5 minutes, so I took it back, got $300-something credited to my credit card, walked back and bought a brand new one for $300-something.  

If/when this one dies, see above.

Amazon, BBB, etc don't offer that.  I think it's 60-90 to return.  The manufacturer or your credit card may give you more coverage, but Sam's and Costco are lifetime unless it's a TV or computer (then it's double the manufacturer's.)
    BBB also has a satisfaction gaurantee. We have returned things years later with no issues. My wife recently returned a powered hair curler that broke that was a year or 2 old with no receipt even and they let her get the new one.
  • stlcharcoal
    @lit Cool....didn't know that.
  • NDG
    Thanks @stlcharcoal & @Lit
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Just a comment, not directed at anybody:  REI used to have a lifetime guarantee return policy, but after replacing too much shoes, hiking gear, clothing, etc, that had been worn out and threadbare, they had to stop this policy.  
    I think if you got your money's worth out of something, well....   :|

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    I have had several Roomba's then switched to a Neato. Not sure of today's Roomba's but they used a random method to cover a room. They go over and over some spots and miss others. The Neato leaves it's base and scans/maps the room. It then cleans the room and never goes over nor miss an inch. Has a good cliff sensor and will not fall down stairs. If you have it doing multiple rooms and the battery gets low, it will return to it's base, recharge and then return to the exact spot where it left off and finish up.  

Also like for any topic or item there is a forum for robotic vac's where you might do some research. 
    http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/

--
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • stlcharcoal
    Botch said:
    Just a comment, not directed at anybody:  REI used to have a lifetime guarantee return policy, but after replacing too much shoes, hiking gear, clothing, etc, that had been worn out and threadbare, they had to stop this policy.  

LL Bean has to do the same thing when they found people buying their stuff at goodwill and the salvation army store just to return it.  The returns department got one of the owners old shirts with his initials embroidered in it.....along with a garbage bag full of other random sized shirts somebody bought at a thrift store.  Then they tracked the merchandise credit and found out that person just took it and sold it on Ebay.

There are some crooked mofos out there.  We deal with our share on Amazon and Ebay.  And those platforms dont give a crap about the seller no matter how obvious it is.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    ^^^ Thanks, it may have been LL Bean, too many brain cells ago.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited June 2019
    I have a Roomba 960 and a Deebot (forget the model number, but not the cheap one). Both are good. The 960 will map each time it starts and doesn't save the map. So you can't make it clean a single room. Easy to schedule. Newer models will do it but Roomba won't update the software for older models. Gets stuck sometimes. 

The Deebot does everything the Roomba does and more. Saves the map. You can set no vacuum areas. You can tell it to vacuum single rooms. Simple to schedule. Much quieter and cheaper than the Roomba. You can switch it to vacuum only, without the agitator. Gets stuck often. The room laser makes it taller so it gets stuck on that part a lot. Stops for no reason sometimes. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• NDG
    Thanks @Toxarch - I ordered the Roborock S5 from Newegg on some deal for $408 - the deeper I got the more confused I got . . rabbit hole of robot vacuums Uggh !!   We will see.
    Columbus, OH

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    I have one made my Shark.  It's great - I highly recommend.
    https://www.amazon.com/WiFi-Connected-Control-Dual-Action-Robotic-RV750/dp/B075JRB2Z9
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    NDG said:
    Thanks @Toxarch - I ordered the Roborock S5 from Newegg on some deal for $408 - the deeper I got the more confused I got . . rabbit hole of robot vacuums Uggh !!   We will see.
    Glad you decided on one. There are tons of them available now. I say, just make sure it maps as it cleans otherwise it runs around random and bumps everything all the time.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Botch said:

LL Bean has to do the same thing when they found people buying their stuff at goodwill and the salvation army store just to return it.  The returns department got one of the owners old shirts with his initials embroidered in it.....along with a garbage bag full of other random sized shirts somebody bought at a thrift store.  Then they tracked the merchandise credit and found out that person just took it and sold it on Ebay.

There are some crooked mofos out there.  We deal with our share on Amazon and Ebay.  And those platforms dont give a crap about the seller no matter how obvious it is.
    That's why Costco changed the policy on electronics. People would exchange their TVs/computers every year or two so that they always had the latest model.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com