Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook - Spatch Chicken

maviso5
maviso5 Posts: 5
Hi All,

New UK BGE Owner. Just got myself a Large BGE, more than happy with it and pleased I bought one. First cook was a spatch chicken (didn't have a vertical roaster on day 1), have since done; pork ribs, burnt ends and beef short ribs - all of which have tasted amazing.

Pic from first cook below.

Comments

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538

Nice start! 

That nice clean interior won't last long! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Tasty looking bird.  Welcome.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • maviso5
    maviso5 Posts: 5
    JacksDad said:

Nice start! 

That nice clean interior won't last long! 

Nope, already starting to wear :) 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Nice to see some more eggers from across the pond here on the forum. Welcome 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    pretty skin!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice cook, bird looks great

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    maviso5 said:
    Hi All,

New UK BGE Owner. Just got myself a Large BGE, more than happy with it and pleased I bought one. First cook was a spatch chicken (didn't have a vertical roaster on day 1), have since done; pork ribs, burnt ends and beef short ribs - all of which have tasted amazing.

Pic from first cook below.

Welcome! There are a few of us Brits on here, good to see another.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Welcome to the forum.  It's great to see more folks chime in from the UK.  All the others seem to be really good guys.  That's a plump little bird and looks mighty tasty!  Thanks for sharing!!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice looking bird. That was my first cook many years ago. You don't need a vertical roaster. Spatchcock is preferred over vertical (or beer can chicken) by most. That, however, does not look like a spatched chicken. When you spatchcock a chicken, you cut out the backbone and lay it flat. Yours appears to still have the backbone. Still looks good, though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    looks great! Nice for first cook. Welcome aboard.
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    CONGRATULATIONS!  And welcome!  I think you're going to have a BALL grilling and smoking on your new Egg.  I've used open charcoal grills, kettle grills, gas grills, and it was all good, but I never really LOVED it till my wife bought me a Big Green Egg.  It's been years, now, and I just love, love, love the food I cook.  I think they're just wonderful.  ENJOY!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. Above all, have fun.
    And, echoing the above, great bird right there.  Congrats on the acquisition and cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Great 'colour' on that bird.  Welcome aboard.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet