Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Thank you FedEx...no worries it was only Japanese A5 wagyu OT

Options
I have been planning a little ahead for my 50th bday later this year and decided to place a couple of orders from an online site that i view quite a bit. I had been drooling over some A5 rib caps but just couldn't pull the trigger. Finally, during the Memorial Day weekend they dropped their prices with a nice sale.  I jumped in and picked out a few extra items which ended up causing 2 different delivery days. (May 30,31)

The first package arrived flawlessly as scheduled with text messages during the day from the sender keeping me updated. Plenty of dry ice was leftover and the meat was frozen solid. Success...

Package #2
I received the same text from the sender that I had the day before. "Your package is on the truck and will be arriving today"

At 1pm  I received another text saying that my package had been delayed. Had been scanned "delivery exception" but would possibly arrive later that day. It didn't. So i attempted to look into the FedEx tracking of the package. And as i write this post on Sunday afternoon June 2 my package on the FedEx website still says pending. Unbelievable.

I was off this weekend so I drove to the FedEx facility in Montgomery that was now handling my package and was told that i would likely receive it on Saturday. The sender was still ok  and sending me regular text messages saying that they had plenty of dry ice packed and things would likely be just fine. I was starting to have my doubts. 

The package never arrived. I finally talked to FedEx last night asking them what the issue was...I actually got their call center and after about 10 minutes the guy gets back on the phone and tells me that unfortunately the package has been "disposed of." WTF. 

FedEx is right across the street from my office so i plan on speaking with a manager at some point this week. The sender has been great. They already have a replacement order lined up and shipping June 5th. And they have told me that they had a really bad week with orders not being delivered and that several claims have been filed. 

Obviously, I work in the delivery business and I see things everyday with my own group that make me cringe. I receive messages/calls from people on my route all the time with horror stories about the subs. But I just wanted to share my experience that I had this weekend.  Vent over. Still pissed...

Wetumpka, Alabama
LBGE and MM

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Sounds like you ordered with plenty of time before your bday, they’re taking care of it and resending and you got it on sale.  All good in my book and the meat vendor stepped up w/out hesitation, that earns repeat biz in my book.

Lesson, order with plenty of lead time, shjt happens.  Happy bday.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I think "disposed of" means they cooked that fawker in the parking lot of the distribution center 

Glad you're getting a replacement 
    There was a lot of good eats in that cooler. I almost hope that happened instead of it being trashed!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Happy Burfday coming. Glad the story will end well.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    check around back of the fedex building to see if there's a grill there   =)
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    I've had several SNAFUs on Fedex shipments recently. Never have problems with UPS or even USPS.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Hopefully they grilled it with respect.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I am pi$$ed about your shipment and a bit surprised your thread has lasted this long.  But while the suppliers are making good the crap-shoot is still the friggin company.  Good luck.
     I have had several issues with FedEx especially since SRF shifted to them from UPS around 18 months ago.  I did have one FedEx call-out thread that had a pulse for around only 90 minutes here.  Perhaps the moderators have since sold their stock.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    FedEx was awful for us at Christmas last year. It’s almost to the point that I’ll order from somewhere else if fedex is the only shipping option. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    78 T140E said:
    I've had several SNAFUs on Fedex shipments recently. Never have problems with UPS or even USPS.
    I've had plenty of problems with all 3 carriers.  Also, DHL.
    NOLA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    Yeah when DHL was still delivering they would literally drive through the grass at a apartment complex rather than walk the long sidewalk 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The only one that uses my sidewalk and delivers to the door is USPS.
    All others have waisted my lawn to get close enough to pitch.
    Very few (wine shipments only) actually make it to my doorstep.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2019
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    The only one that uses my sidewalk and delivers to the door is USPS.
    All others have waisted my lawn to get close enough to pitch.
    Very few (wine shipments only) actually make it to my doorstep.
    I had Fedex leave a case of wine (from Argentina) on the sidewalk in front of the building where I work, while we were closed, after misdelivering it the previous day.  Luckily, it was winter and the temperature was cool, and we managed to recover the package unscathed later that morning.

I'm told that driver was suspended and reassigned, but who knows.
    NOLA
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I absolutely hate FedEx. I won't do business with a company if that's the only shipping option they offer
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Federal Express can not find my house.

I live about 1 mile south on the same state highway as the local depot.

Literally, make a right turn out of their docks, drive a mile, and my driveway is on the righthand side. That's what Google, Mapquest, Garmin, and Apple Maps will all tell you. Oh! my house and driveway have been in the same spot for over 80 years.

Fed Ex is a third rate freight company with a customer service level of Comcast. They suck.

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I'm suddenly regretting my decision to choose Fed Ex to ship my Bollore Pizza Oven from Tuscany. Although the only other option was DHL so sounds like Im gonna get screwed either way. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'm suddenly regretting my decision to choose Fed Ex to ship my Bollore Pizza Oven from Tuscany. Although the only other option was DHL so sounds like Im gonna get screwed either way. 
    My Ardore was shipped DHL with zero problems (and no cracked Saputo stones). I've never had a problem with a DHL shipment.
    I've only had one problem with FedEx and that was twenty years ago. My Karubecue was shipped via FedEx with not even a scratch on either box.
    Guess I'm just blessed. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2019
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My Ardore was shipped DHL with zero problems (and no cracked Saputo stones). I've never had a problem with a DHL shipment.
    I've only had one problem with FedEx and that was twenty years ago. My Karubecue was shipped via FedEx with not even a scratch on either box.
    Guess I'm just blessed. :)

Well my Bollore with Saputo stones is shipping today via Fed Ex from the Giant European Boot. Fingers crossed it doesn't get "lost" or thrown off the back of the truck as the fed ex guy flips off my house. Given that it says it weighs 85kilos I think that would be quite a feat.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I had a similar experience with the USPS recently. I ordered a clutch for my lawnmower. When my package arrived I opened it up to find part of a cellphone holder that goes in a cup hold of a vehicle and a letter from the USPS basically stating that my package had been damaged and if I didn't receive what I was supposed to, to call a toll fee number.  Well after staying on hold for 57 minutes I was finally able to speak to someone that told me to go to my local post office. After going to the post office and waiting patiently and never hearing back from anyone at the USPS I contacted the company that I ordered the part from and they sent me a new one that same day.