Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day baby backs help

I am currently rubbing 3 racks of baby back ribs for tomorrow afternoon’s pool party with family and I realized I haven’t cooked ribs on my BGE. Please help, not looking for a 321 but rather a straight through cook (i.e. 225’ for 6 hours until thermapen reads X). Any and all help would be appreciated. I will be smoking on my large. Thank you, and Happy Memorial Day to everyone!

Myrtle Beach, SC

Large BGE, platesetter, cast iron grate, ivation meat thermometer

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Baby backs of average thickness take about 5 hours at 230, 4 hours at 275, and 1 hr 40 minutes at 350 (turbo ribs).  They are done when they pass the toothpick test (toothpick or temp probe passes through the meat between the ribs like "buttah") and/or the bend test (they'll bend 90 degrees when you pick them up on one end).  In my experience the meat temp when this happens can be anywhere from 180 to 200 or so.  Some other issues are discussed in this parallel thread here.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1219548/3-racks-of-st-louis-ribs-i-m-scared#latest

Good luck.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Google “car wash mike rib recipe”.  
  • wocotiger7
    wocotiger7 Posts: 27
    edited May 2019
    Thank you @Foghorn and @smokintiger81

Myrtle Beach, SC

Large BGE, platesetter, cast iron grate, ivation meat thermometer

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2019

Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)

350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 

Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 

Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 

Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 

If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 

Be sure your temp gauge is correct.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Toothpick test for the win every time.  No need to mess around with tongs and bend angle IMO.  It's all about the feel as noted above.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited May 2019
    most old timers here will say this is some of the best they have had

car wash mike babybacks

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I like turbo, takes 2 hours max. 

Look for a thread I did called "habanero death dust ribs"

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Mickey said:

Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)

350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 

Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 

Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 

Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 

If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 

Be sure your temp gauge is correct.

@Mickey that is a beautiful picture.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    I have a question on the bend test......I usually cut my slabs in half for a better fit on the egg. I don't suppose the bend test would work on half slabs...correct?
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    run53 said:
    I have a question on the bend test......I usually cut my slabs in half for a better fit on the egg. I don't suppose the bend test would work on half slabs...correct?
    Correct.  Use the toothpick test a few places.