Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Question

Hey was planning on trying a reverse sear for the first time tonight. Had a few questions as a first timer. 

1. What temp do you run at? Hoping not to go much longer than an hourish for the smoke. Would something like 275 work?

It seems like the consensus is to pull it when it gets to a IT of 125. Pull it. Let it rest. Get the grill up to screaming hot and then sear for a minute or two on each side. So my question for these steps are:

2. Won't the steak continue to cook during the sear period and push the temp past med rare?
3. It doesn't seem to get mentioned often but, I'm assuming you should let it rest for another 10 mins or so after the sear? 

Looking forward to some steak later! Thanks in advance for any advice!

MED - Manhattan

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Slow roast at low temp helps keep a uniform internal temp. You should not get much carryover temp rise.  Sear at searing hot temps. Minute or two per side in short increments (30 secs).  Idea is to expose the one side to high heat without adding too much of a heat load.  Yes it will rise some, but that is offset by the rest which makes sure the temp has stopped rising.  No need for a second rest.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Rick - Random points from me:

1.  When you finish with the low temp part, the steak is technically done and you could eat it then.  The sear is just for taste and appearance, although I would consider that critical.  Long way of saying that no final rest is necessary.

2.  No, the searing portion won't add much heat internally.  If you're concerned, leave the dome open while you sear to your desired surface appearance.

3.  I think 275 is a bit high.  I do the low portion on a rack in my oven at 225-250 until about 120, then rest a few minutes followed by the sear.  Don't do it directly on the pan as the metal will transfer too much heat to the steak and cook beyond the edge.

4.  The principle of the low portion is that there is evaporative cooling going on at the surface as you bring it up to temperature.  That keeps the interior from doing much other than warming up and keeps the grayness at the surface.

5.  The time depends on the thickness and temp of the oven/egg.  My 2" steaks take about an hour.  Start checking at about 30 minutes to see how it's going.

Overall, this is stupid simple and once you realize you have a cooked piece of meat after the low portion, it becomes easy.  You're just coloring it up for taste and appearance.  Make it hot and flip often is the way I do it.  I don't check temps once I start searing because there is no need.  It was already cooked.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • slick_rick
    slick_rick Posts: 55
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you cssmd27 and jtcBoynton!
    MED - Manhattan
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Essentially, this is a non-bag, dry sous vide technique.  For me, I think it gives superior results compared to SV and I use my SV machines a lot.

I believe the dehydration of the surface with the low portion allows for a better and quicker crust to form with the sear.

The only downsides are that it requires a bit more attention with the temp in the oven (or egg), a little more effort and more items to clean.  But, it's pretty fool proof overall.

I prefer to pull mine from the low portion a few degrees short of my end desired temperature because you will have a little temp creep after the you pull it and you'll get a couple more degrees from the sear.  I pull around 118, but I like mine rare.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @cssmd27 has offered some great insights.  Once you get through this first run, next time give the caveman finish a go.   As above, all you want is the crust and that is the ideal way to nail it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I agree with most of the above, but I strongly disagree with doing the low-and-slow part in the oven.  I had thought that very little smoke flavor would happen with a steak, so I never added wood.  But just recently I've been doing the low-and-slow portion of the cook (at 250°-275°) with just a couple of wood chunks, and MAN -- that flavor very much did stay with the steak!  It was fantastic!  It was a tender, juicy, medium-rare steak, nothing like smoked BBQ, but there was still a fantastic woody flavor.  Made me think of cooking a steak over a campfire or something.  Never going to do it another way!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Indirect low temp, my medium is very comfy at about 265ºF dome works for me. As termed above a dry sous vide almost. At 115-125ºF IT as preferred, pull the steak, put it on a rack, tent it and hold it till your egg has gone nuclear. I leave a CI grid under the setter, I find it makes it easier to pull the setter and once the egg has gone nuclear the grid is good to go. To get the best crust, I dry the tented steak with a paper towel, toss it on the grid and after 30 seconds flip it, brush with herb butter/ghee/your favourite, then flip again after 30 seconds, baste, flip again until you get the colour you like. 
    Still SWMBO’s choice as she likes steak ruined so I can leave hers on the low cook until about 120ºF, then put mine on. Once mine hits 120ºF hers is at God knows what, but she likes it. Well done without being burnt to crisp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387

I go about 250 till an IT of ~115. I also reverse sear in a CI pan when I do.

Pull at ~115, open vent, remove DW, put the CI on and wait till its screaming hot.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310

On! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    All good advice, I go @250 degrees until 110-115 then sear. I like my steaks medium rare. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    The only bad advice I've seen above was that it wasn't necessary to let the steak rest "again". Always let a "thick" cut steak rest before cutting. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• slick_rick
    slick_rick Posts: 55
    Thanks all the good advice everyone. Had an interesting experience. So went 250 and after about 40 minutes I went to check with my thermopop. It was reading 135 and even 140 at some spots. I was pretty disappointed. Took it off. Checked again and it still seemed like it was over cooked. 

So I got the egg hot and gave it a really quick sear. When giving it the “touch” test it didn’t feel super overcooked. So I was pleasantly surprised when I cut it open and I wasn’t totally cooked to hell. It still tastes pretty good. A learning experience for sure. Looking forward to trying again.

Anyone else have temp problems like that with a thermopop?

MED - Manhattan
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    ColtsFan said:

On! 
    Fred Flinstone would be proud! After cook pictures?
    I saw some like that in Costco yesterday and wimped out, went for the 1-1/2" thick ribeyes without the bone for a cookout with the neighbors. Also scored some ribeye caps, not sure the neighbors are going to get those.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    The only bad advice I've seen above was that it wasn't necessary to let the steak rest "again". Always let a "thick" cut steak rest before cutting. 
    It really isn't necessary. It is not bad advice. I know some will never believe this, but if you don't hammer the steak (temperature-wise) the second rest doesn't really get you anything.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    @BigreenGreg best I got. Vultures were swarming 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!