Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mongolian Lamb Chops

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I don't usually like to "cover up" the flavor of lamb with a sweet sauce, but once in a while I really love this recipe.  It's perfectly ordinary grilled lamb chops, but then dipped in a sauce of apricot preserves, white wine, lemon juice, teriyaki sauce and cayenne.  It came from an Atlanta restaurant from 1983 (don't know if it's still there or not) called "Midnight Sun," printed in Gourmet magazine, which I loved for decades.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    That sounds and looks delicious.. I have just bought a whole lamb and will definitely try this on some of the chops. What sides did you serve ?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Theophan
    Options
    That sounds and looks delicious.. I have just bought a whole lamb and will definitely try this on some of the chops. What sides did you serve ?
    Thanks for the kind words!  I'm afraid that it was a "quick and dirty" meal for me alone (my wife hates lamb), so I didn't really make sides.  I made a quick salad of artichoke hearts and had some toast.  If I were serving it to others, I surely would have rice, maybe a green vegetable with a little tamari on it or something.  If you're asking, you're probably better at sides than I am!  :)
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    This is why I don't post my cooks: mine are so mundane and you folks are killing it! I've made wonderful lamb chops with rosemary, thyme, butter, S&P....but who hasn't? These are amazing and will encourage me to up my game. Thanks for sharing!
  • Theophan
    Options
    This is why I don't post my cooks: mine are so mundane ... I've made wonderful lamb chops with rosemary, thyme, butter, S&P....but who hasn't?...
    What's better than lamb with rosemary, thyme, butter and S&P?  Post away!  I've posted a few things that were more exotic than my usual cooks, but I've also posted lots of things that are "mundane," and even some FAILS!  It's just nice to feel like we all share an interest with each other, get a little feedback.  Thanks for yours!
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Great looking Lamb @Theophan
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    Outstanding! I'm doing this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The lamb recipies I have cooked from this forum are unbelievably delicious every time.
    I think for me, who likes cooking lamb for our son, this will definitely ring the bell.
    Your post looks awesome as always. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options
    That is about as perfect as perfect gets!!!
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Theophan
    Options
    I don't always make it the recipe's way--this time, for example, I added more teriyaki.  But for those who are interested in making it and would like the original recipe, here it is:

Mongolian Lamb Chops, The Midnight Sun

INGREDIENTS

8 4 oz. lamb chops 1" thick 

Sauce:

2 cups apricot preserves 

1/2 cup dry white wine 

4 Tb fresh lemon juice 

2 tsp bottled teriyaki sauce 

1/8 tsp cayenne (or to taste)

DIRECTIONS

In a small stainless steel or enameled saucepan combine the preserves, wine, lemon juice, teriyaki sauce and cayenne, reduce the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, to about 3/4 cup, and add salt and pepper to taste.

Season the lamb chops with salt and pepper and broil them under a preheated broiler about 4" from the heat for 3 minutes on each side for medium rare, or until they're done to taste.

With tongs, dip the lamb chops in the sauce and transfer them to a heated platter. Serve the remaining sauce in a small serving bowl.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent!  Looks fantastic .
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga