Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Because @BGEBrent Said I Don’t Cook Anything

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
Putting Ol’ Mortimer to work feeding a small crowd of 40 people for a life celebration. Nice small warmup for the season. 2 Briskets, 12 racks of baby backs, a case of split breasts, pineapple chipotle beans, coleslaw, and ABTs. More pics to follow. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Great Cook, Awesome Cause!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    That all looks and sounds amazing, Mike!  But I have to say that it seems to me you have way more food than you realistically need for 40 people.  

BTW, nobody here pays attention to anything Brent says...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Deets on those pineapple beans please!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CTMike
    Options
    That all looks and sounds amazing, Mike!  But I have to say that it seems to me you have way more food than you realistically need for 40 people.  

BTW, nobody here pays attention to anything Brent says...
    The client wanted leftovers John to send home with his guests - I’m not going to argue with the man paying the bills. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Great looking cook right there.  Hopefully you had help feeding the sticks over-night. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Deets on those pineapple beans please!
    Two #10 cans of baked beans, drained. Bell pepper strips and onions, pineapple chunks, jalapeño slices. Ketchup, mustard powder, and chipotle powder. Brown sugar and pure maple syrup. I just kind of eyeball everything - chipotle and jalapeños to achieve desired heat. The brown sugar, pineapple, and maple syrup offset the heat pretty well. Everyone raves about them. I usually add in bacon also but forgot to buy enough this time. Rib tips or pulled pork if desired. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited May 2019
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great looking cook right there.  Hopefully you had help feeding the sticks over-night. 
    @lousubcap Got the fire started at 7 AM. Run Ol’ Mortimer between 275 - 325. Cook brisket and butts in pans till I like the color, then cover tightly with foil. Gets them done in about 5 - 6 hours. Bark is too soft for my personal liking, but none of my customers have complained so I just roll with it. I don’t typically accept gigs where they want the food ready before 4 PM, but as this party is for a client who lost his wife, I don’t mind a little earlier. 

I only do overnights now if doing a whole hog - getting too old for that. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @CTMike - I'm on the hook for 5 butts for a 3 PM deal in a couple of weeks.  I'm gonna steal your method and go hotter than I usually do on my meager stick burner, starting early AM.  Thanks for the nudge in that direction. 
    I'm sure the bark will suffer a bit but given the crowd it will be fine. 
    Edit: when do you pull the pork given you have 'em pan foil sealed?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    Options
    Frank,

I use my thermapen and probe through the foil and call ‘em done just like you would any other cook. Pull from the heat, vent the foil, and let rest till 170 or so and going down. Seal back up and put in the warmer until ready to pull, I usually aim for an hours rest in the warmer. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Everything looks amazing, thank you for sharing the bean details!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • CTMike
    Options

Not much of a smoke ring but moist and tender. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Amazing cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fantastic cook Mike!!  Who did it?🤣
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CTMike
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Fantastic cook Mike!!  Who did it?🤣
    Says the man who steals Nicole’s thunder. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Mike, looks great (as always) but don’t fall for his bait. If you need internet amo, hit me up. He has rock and roll history that’s priceless. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CTMike
    Options
    Mike, looks great (as always) but don’t fall for his bait. If you need internet amo, hit me up. He has rock and roll history that’s priceless. 
    Thanks, but it’s all good. I know he was just busting my chops, and I’d hate for you to embarrass him on a public forum.  B)

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No....he always need to have his chops busted. The right moment will circle around one day. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice work, Mike.  Brent was lost without you at this year's Butt Blast.  At least he had Nicole to handle the Pecan Pie.  @piney had to slow down on the Miller Lite's to help @brent out
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95