Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber kettle grill- keep or sell

I currently have a large egg, built in Blaze 4 burner gas grill, and have recently received a new 22” Weber kettle charcoal grill.  

Not sure the kettle grill does anything that I can’t do between my egg and gasser.  Do you guys think this has a place in my grilling arsenal or should I just sell it?

if keep, what to use it for over my egg or gasser?

Comments

• Wisv1k
    Wisv1k Posts: 30
    edited May 2019
    I definitely say keep.  I sold mine when I got the egg and regret it.  The weber does two zone much better and is an excellent supplement to the egg.  It also heats up way faster for quicker cooks like brats or chicken breast.  For what you will get for it, not worth letting go.  Dump the gasser. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You should know your needs better than us.
    Is there anything you want to cook that you can't?
    Would the Weber fit this need?
    Give the Weber to a friend or family member.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    If you received it new in the box there is no real need to keep it unless you just like collecting grills. I would sell it on Craigslist or give it to someone that needs a new grill.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    A kettle is an uninsulated XL egg. It is very versatile. I say keep it. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I still have my Weber Kettle. Keep it. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I’ve always regretted giving my Weber charcoal grill away.  I still get to use it when I go to my BIL’s house, but it’s not the same.   I will probably end up with another one one of these days.  I’ll also probably end up buying the  gabby’s Grills attachment for it. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    One thing you can do with that kettle, is crank it up and sear a steak, then move it to the egg to finish... I do it all the time. No waiting for the temp of the egg to come down (or up if you reverse sear)... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I kept mine for about a year after purchasing my first egg. It went silent. Don’t rush getting rid of it, see for yourself if you need it. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    my kettle is an herb garden now.  the one thing it does better than the egg is getting the skin on chicken crisper with less work. i found i did not use it much after getting an egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    My Kettle which I got when I had a cheap Side Smoker has sat on the side of the garage except for once in the 5 years Ive had an egg.  In my mind I am keeping it around only to make a UDS using the lid.  Im sure it will sit on the side of the house for 6 more years without being built.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    I use my Kettle almost as much as the XL.  Mainly burgers, brats, hot dogs, and always for cooks at the park or lake.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I'd keep it.  Like @ryantt above, I regret giving mine away years ago. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Keep it.  It's great for searing.  Or for when you are cooking foods that need multiple cooking temps.  And once I learned to apply the airflow principles I learned on the egg it became an even better grill that allowed me to do appetizers, veggies, etc on it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    I currently have a large egg, built in Blaze 4 burner gas grill, and have recently received a new 22” Weber kettle charcoal grill.  

Not sure the kettle grill does anything that I can’t do between my egg and gasser.  Do you guys think this has a place in my grilling arsenal or should I just sell it?

if keep, what to use it for over my egg or gasser?
    My experience is that once you get your first BGE, your need to expand your grilling real estate grows quickly. Example, you are having friends over for dinner and you are smoking a butt on the Egg, but the kids want hamburgers. Easy solution is to fire up the Weber and grill burgers. 

I was given a small BGE as a present four years ago, and I liked it so much that I bought an LBGE a few months later. Thinking I didn’t need my small anymore, I gave it to my father in law. I regretted getting rid of it immediately. I’ve since added a mini-max and a Blackstone, and I see an XL in my near future. 

Keep the Weber. 
  • Cjtamu
    Cjtamu Posts: 22
    Keep it. I love mine. Great for steaks, burgers, dogs. Can smoke using Minion or snake method. For a big gathering I might have something on the egg, something in the Weber, and turn on the gasser for burgers and dogs for the short persons. Also a heckuva lot more portable then a LBGE. Though for camping etc. I like the 18” Jumbo Joe. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Wisv1k said:
    I definitely say keep.  I sold mine when I got the egg and regret it.  The weber does two zone much better and is an excellent supplement to the egg.  It also heats up way faster for quicker cooks like brats or chicken breast.  For what you will get for it, not worth letting go.  Dump the gasser. 
    My exact same situation. Do this...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I would most definitely keep it. But I'm a hoarder.

Made my bones on a kettle grill. Came to the BGE after figuring out how to cook/bbq somewhat decently on a Weber. I concede that i only use any of my kettles but a few times in a year, but I love having them around. Caliqueen knows that getting rid of any of them is grounds for divorce. 

Plus a kettle is fairly ubiquitous. Most people have one available. So when I'm travelling/visiting folks, I can usually rustle one up and cook on it. Makes me happy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    And resale on a 22” is only $40-50.  Worth keeping for sure.  I am going to buy a 26” for my next purchase.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    I sold my Weber kettle two days before I got my large egg.  I’ve never missed my Weber.   
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    no brainer - keep it, much better hot smoker and far easier to go indirect, big pile of Kingsford blue off to one corner & a whole lot of grid space for whatever you're cooking.  My kettle was here before the LBGE & will probably be around afterwards too, the mini sure didn't outlast the smoky joe
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Another vote for keep. I've had a 22" Weber kettle for 35 years and if I had to choose between it and my Egg I'd choose the Weber. Heresy I know. Thankfully I can have both. We use the Weber for fast grilling cooks (burgers, steak, brats, chicken) and the egg for low and slow. In short, we use the Weber as a Grille and the Egg as a cooker. I have the rotisserie attachment for the Weber as well and that just makes it that much more versatile. Don't get me wrong, I love my LBGE. It's just that the Weber is a damn nice grille too. Use the best tool for the job at hand.
    Michiana, South of the border.