Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEER CAN CHICKEN

Options
Last week I attempted my first beer can chicken on the BGE (actually first ever). I cooked the chicken around 300 for approximately 2 hours. the inside of the chicken was really moist and flavorful. However, the shin was really tough. I flavored the skin with an olive oil and poultry rub. Thoughts?

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Here is a really good article on beer can chicken: https://amazingribs.com/beer-can-chicken.

I suggest that you spatchcock the chicken and bump the temps up to 375-400 to crisp the skin. 

Have Fun!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• SmokinBob629
    Options
    Just bursted my bubble of the beer can chicken. 1 beer wasted, How do I spatchcock it?

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Just bursted my bubble of the beer can chicken. 1 beer wasted, How do I spatchcock it?

https://www.saveur.com/how-spatchcock-chicken
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited May 2019
    Options

Should you ever go sideways and decide to mess around with a beer can chix in the future-drink the beer and use water in the now empty can.  B) FWIW-
    Edit:  Here's a link to spatchcock chix and even a half-cocked chix.  BTW- his main site contains a wealth of ceramic cooking information. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • newEGGlandah
    Options
    You placed it in the hottest part of the egg and probably didn’t have a PS leg shielding the “12 o’clock.”  
    Large&Mini BGEs:  HeaterMeter w/Roto Damper, Thermapen, ET-733, CI Woo&Spider
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Beer can chicken is for show, not for culinary excellence. Any reason for coating the skin with oil, especially olive oil?  I prefer crispy skin and oiling hurts that. Also the low temp you cooked at leads to tougher skin. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokinBob629
    Options
    You placed it in the hottest part of the egg and probably didn’t have a PS leg shielding the “12 o’clock.”  
    PS leg? Shielding 12?
  • SmokinBob629
    Options
    Beer can chicken is for show, not for culinary excellence. Any reason for coating the skin with oil, especially olive oil?  I prefer crispy skin and oiling hurts that. Also the low temp you cooked at leads to tougher skin. 
    I only used garlic olive to enhance othe flavor.
     Thank you for the advise, skip the oil, Increase to 400 and spatchcock
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Getting the perfect chicken is a tough balancing act.  Getting the meat cooked evenly without dry edges is best done at lower temps.  Getting crispy skin is best done at higher temps.  The spatchcock, predrying the skin, and cooking around 400º seems to be a good starting balancing point.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• talltales
    talltales Posts: 4
    Options
    I tried cooking a whole chicken on the tower and the breast was at 166 but the legs 
    and thighs were bloody. Cooking it longer would have over cooked breast. Never again!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    If you’re seeing some pink or red in the legs or thighs at temps around 165, it may be not be blood. They are harvesting chickens very young (around 6 weeks old) and the bones haven’t matured, and they leak marrow.  https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-chicken-ready-when-juices-run-clear-and-why

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Don’t be discouraged by this cook.  Yes the beer can is a waste of beer and you don’t need any liquid in the can because all it does is let off a bit of steam but not much.  

Try this next time.  Put the platesetter in legs up with an elevated drip pan then put your chicken on the can upside down.  Legs up and cook at 400-425° till it’s done.  The juicy fat from the the thighs baste the breast meat.   

Search for inverted bird by Little Steven.   He is the one I learned this from.  All credit goes to him 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    The chicken does look great.   Maybe the skin problem is from what looks like putting the foil on the grill, preventing dry air to circulate around the chicken.

Crispy skin is always a battle,  some say pat with paper towel, leave in fridge overnight uncoverred.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    ...Yes the beer can is a waste of beer and you don’t need any liquid in the can because all it does is let off a bit of steam but not much.  ...
    By the time the can gives off any steam, the chicken is over cooked.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• SmokinBob629
    Options
    I made another chicken for Mother's Day, this time without the beer can.  I let the chicken sit overnight in the fridge uncovered, spatcocked it, seasoned it with Montreal Chicken seasons and some AP. I cooked the chicken raised and indirect at 375 degrees till it reached 165. My wife said it was the best chicken.  The skin was was crispy and the inside was moist. Thank you all for the feedback.

• OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    The chicken does look great.   Maybe the skin problem is from what looks like putting the foil on the grill, preventing dry air to circulate around the chicken.

Crispy skin is always a battle,  some say pat with paper towel, leave in fridge overnight uncoverred.
    That's what I was thinking too.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Canadianegger2020
    Options
    Aww man I love beer can chicken on my Egg.....hmmm...but love spatcocked also ...both work great . 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I love beer can chicken. Got a great recipe for Chicken vegetable soup, with egg noodles, and a white bean chicken chili that makes that cook shine. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canadianegger2020
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I love beer can chicken. Got a great recipe for Chicken vegetable soup, with egg noodles, and a white bean chicken chili that makes that cook shine. 
       Would you mind sharing the recipes Ron? They sound good !