Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Dry Ice for shipment

Options
Anyone have experience with shipping BBQ using dry ice?  Heading up to Michigan in June for a guys golf trip and i'd like to ship a couple of Boston Butts to the event.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks in advance!
Retired Navy, LBGE
Pinehurst, NC

Comments

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Call the shipping company first and ask if you can pack in dry ice. 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Anyone have experience with shipping BBQ using dry ice?  Heading up to Michigan in June for a guys golf trip and i'd like to ship a couple of Boston Butts to the event.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks in advance!
    Are you wanting to take a couple frozen, cryo packed butts to cook up there?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I do it all the time, 5# per container is the max and container has to be ventable

also buy a cheap ice chest VS a styrofoam container-
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    I do this daily for work. You'll have to declare the dry ice if shipping via air, 5# max is correct - you can usually get that amount at any grocery store. Determine the # of days in transit to see how you need to ship - NC to MI should be 3 days via Ground. Freeze your meats prior to shipping, pack in a polystyrene cooler (in a box), label perishable, add your dry ice and gel packs if you wish and send it on it's way. Make sure someone is there to receive and open it straight away
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Thanks in advance!

That's the plan.  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Thanks in advance!

That's the plan.  
    Buy a cheap soft cooler. Freeze the pork butts solid.
    You can carry it on the plane as carry-on with small amount of dry ice. You can not use freezer packs because as the thaw it turns liquid and liquids are not permitted over a few ounces.
    We took 2 soft coolers of frozen meat from Houston-Miami-Turks and Caicos. Through several check points and Customs. No issues, just strange looks. Even if they start to thaw a little it's ok because you need them to thaw to cook anyway. No wasted money on shipping.
    But I bet it would not be hard to find Pork Butts in Michigan at any Sams or Costco?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I’ve always bought my meat locally when I get there. What makes you feel like you won’t be able to find a couple pork butts where you are going?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    I’ve always bought my meat locally when I get there. What makes you feel like you won’t be able to find a couple pork butts where you are going?
    Only thing they have are gas grills which isn't a big deal it's more about the time factor.  We are playing 36 holes a day and just have no time to smoke a couple of butts.  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Only thing they have are gas grills which isn't a big deal it's more about the time factor.  We are playing 36 holes a day and just have no time to smoke a couple of butts.  
    That cleared things up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Wouldn’t shipping from someone who sells them be a better and more economical idea?

Maybe not the cheapest (send an Uber to Walmart to pickup would be what I’d do), but here’s a next day solution:

https://www.debragga.com/pork/free-range-pork/free-range-iowa-pork-boneless-butt.html
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!