Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is everyone cooking for Cinco de Mayo

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532

my pitmaster’s wheels have been spinning! she wants to make a feast, but isn’t sure what yet. We are coming to you guys for ideas and advice.

Happy cooking everyone, ant thanks in advance for the ideas.

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

So far, I have purchased avocados, cilantro, flour tortilla shells (taco size) and vidalia onions. I don’t no yet where this is headed yet but there are some chix brestest thawing in the frig. I am leaning towards Green Chili chicken enchiladas with chips and guacamole....subject to change though. Fajitas are a possible as well. I also have breakfast burritos as a possibility to start the day. So much to think about today.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ryantt

@northGAcock all of the options you listed sound perfect...how to choose. Norah and my wife ate at the store and she is thinking tacos and street corn. She really wants to get the tortilla making process down.

So far she has pork belly, red onions, cilantro, and some stuff to make guacamole. She loves to put goat cheese in the guac with roasted red peppers and pickles onions. We will see what she comes up with....it should be a blast.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

My Cinco de Mayo will be directly influenced by today's Kentucky Derby. Easy last year as both were on the same day-this year... Given what I am expecting to happen this PM tomorrow will be a rally in the AM followed by a few margaritas. Food-wise I will be following this thread for inspiration. Enjoy the planning and execution.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676

All this great food makes me kinda sad to have only bought Tequila and limes.

• ryantt

@GregW that’s a fine celebratory meal.

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109

Going to a Cinco de Mayo brunch tomorrow at the in-laws. I’m making a chorizo/tater tot casserole of sorts

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

We are cheating, but making Tacos al Pastor and borracho beans, probably some Mexican rice. Cheating? the local Piggly Wiggly has quite a few employees of Mexican decent, and they make some awesome pre seasoned taco and fajita meats, so we are going with that. I will probably add in some grilled pineapple. Tonight we are having brisket tacos with borracho beans, what can I say? I'm the only Gringo in the house, so we eat alot of tacos!

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265

Going for Carne Asada using the Serious Eats recipe and ABTs. I just realized I have a shortage of meat to stuff into the ABTs, so I'm thinking hot Italian sausage might do the trick.

Mountain View, CA
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204

We’ve narrowed it down to a mammal. We’ll get it nailed down tomorrow.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • CigarCityEgger

Had brunch, breakfast enchiladas, quesadillas, my chorizo/tater tot casserole, street corn salad, churro French toast, among other things. Was a great time with the family. Got home not too long ago, going to make some shrimp tacos for dinner

• CigarCityEgger

Shrimp tacos for dinner

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153

My Cinco de Mayo meal was corn tortillas covered with pulled pork soaked in Habanero Mango hot sauce! No Picts... I ate them ALL!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131

I did fajitas chicken breast and ribeye on the black stone.

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265

Carne Asda.

Mountain View, CA
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204

Michiana, South of the border.