Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dimples' Jamaican BBQ Chicken -- only pretty good

Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654

I was really looking forward to this, but it was only pretty good. In Steve Raichlen's Barbecue Bible, there was a recipe for "Dimples' Barbecued Chicken," and it was Jamaican, but NOT jerk! Very mild, only one scotch bonnet (all we have is habaneros), scallions, garlic, soy, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper. I spatchcocked it, cooked it low and slow with a little apple wood, and it was tender, juicy, and delicious, but somehow less interesting than I had hoped. There was a BBQ sauce in the recipe that I didn't try, just wasn't in the mood, somehow. I'll make it for the leftovers, and if it pushes it over the top, I'll let you know.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749

Great Color and Skin

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

Looks good brother. SR’s stuff for me is hit/miss. His photography however reminds me of the quality seen in @Dyal_SC stuff .

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314

That color looks great. You said it was just good and not great, wonder if it would have tuned out better going direct. For chicken I get the best results/flavor cooking over the coals.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    edited May 2019

that is one BBW Chicken

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188

Your chicken looks great. This is the one I use:

I lived in Jamaica for a few years back in the 90’s and this is a pretty good one. I put in about 8 habaneros tho instead of his recommended 1-4. Real jerk is hot. But I don’t get too caught up on it having to be exactly like I remember. I really like this butterflied tenderloin method. I would never thought of doing this.

• Theophan

Thanks to all for the kind and helpful comments!

@SonVolt, I do think I'm going to try direct on a spatched bird, one of these days. I was actually thinking of doing sort of a "reverse sear" on this one, taking it out when it was done, firing up the Egg, and giving it a bit of char direct. But I thought it looked so good when it was done that I just brought it inside. I also think I should have tried the BBQ sauce that was part of the recipe. I'll try it with the leftovers and see.

@cookingdude555, I LOVE jerk, and have a bunch of jerk recipes. (Well, I just counted them: 24 jerk recipes! <laughing>) The point of this particular recipe, though, what caught my interest, was that it was Jamaican but NOT jerk! I was intrigued by a Jamaican-style grilled chicken that was NOT jerk. I wish I'd tried the BBQ sauce. Usually I do things the way the recipe has it, the first time. I am hoping that when I make the sauce and try it with the leftovers, it'll be a lot more interesting. We'll see.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188

Man @Theophan , I need to read closer next time :). Regardless, that chicken you cooked looks really good. I bet was tasty even if you didn't hit your goals exactly.

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025

Gorgeous color on that bird.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Theophan
    edited May 2019

Well, I'm an idiot! :)

I made the BBQ sauce that was part of the recipe, tonight, had it with the leftovers, and it was actually completely delicious, after all! I almost always make things the recipe's way the first time, and only then start modifying it, but this time I didn't make the sauce when I made it the first time, and it turns out that the sauce was good! Tart, tangy, gingery, delicious. I'll definitely make this again, and do it right next time.