Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AUSTIN TX - pre-order full Franklins brisket ?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited April 2019 in Off Topic

Heading to Austin for bach party - unrealistic for us to wait for FRANKLINS - but trying to talk guys into pre-order full Brisket & some fixings. We jumping on a boat Saturday . . so thought is to order early (with some fixings) and have world class boat snack.

Anybody pre-order and have a good experience?

Quality and experience of full FRANKLN brisket worth the trouble? Or should I stop pushing these guys and just grab other great BBQ (I have others noted like LA BBQ, Valentines, Smittys, etc) during the 3 day trip?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited April 2019
    Options

Never pre ordered but Franklins is worth a wait. Probably not 3+ hours but its definitely a must have. Im pretty sure every time I have been the pre orders are just as fresh and hot as the rest of the stuff.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2019
    Options

Brisket is a pretty heavy snack for a boat ride. That'll surely put everyone to sleep.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options

If its this weekend, it is probably too late to put in an order. Valentina's is pretty easy to get food from. You can probably pre-order using their website.

Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

@Photo Egg - has a great response. Don't get cross-threaded with trying to focus on Austin eats to the exclusion of the main event. Austin and the surroundings can always be a brisket destination event-bachelor parties likely not as frequent. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NDG
    Options

Yall are wise !! Thanks & never thought you have to preorder so early - damn. This bachelor party group is not food obsessed (but drinkers) so I’m pitching it without enthusiastic responses. Also yes brisket bbq on boat might be a little heavy. Well looks like I’ll just blackout with the crew & eat truck nachos.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited April 2019
    Options

Yup @NDG plenty of good food in Austin. Get whatever is easy and focus on the fun.

As a younger man I used to be amused at how my older friends were particularly more enthused about bachelor parties than us "bachelors" who could throw down any time we wanted! So trust me on this, focus on the throw-down. A couple buckets of smoked wings and other fun finger food would go well on a boat with whatever fine craft beer you guys are likely putting down. 😉

LBGE/Maryland
  • HoustonEgger
    Options

My wife pre-ordered brisket for me about 2 years ago from Franklins for my birthday - she had to do it a few weeks in advance I recall. Pickup was super easy and simple - brisket was great as always. Worth it if that's what you want. They'll give you all the fixins' you'd need for a party if your order enough. I took some of mine, vac sealed it and ate it almost a year later and it was still great.

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • NDG
    Options

@Hook_emHornsfan_74 your right, tried to order now and earliest its ready is 4/30 - I will be back home by then with a headache & slight depression

Columbus, OH

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

If you’ll be on lake Travis, see you out there.

Be be careful with drinking and boating.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options

If youre on Lake Travis there are a few easy options for BBQ on the way from the Airport. If youre going farther up the lake chain there are still plenty of options out there on 71W or 183N.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options

When I was at Franklin's 3 years ago we were the 2nd and 3rd in line. There was a lady already set up at 5:45 AM that had placed an order 32 months prior.

If you really feel the need for Brisket, Valentina's is where Aaron sends customers when they run out. I have had their breakfast tacos and they were excellent.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I'll be out there too- and like DM says- do not eff around drinking and boating on Lake Travis. If you don't have a chartered boat w/captain, you had better have a DD. those lake cops do not screw around. And if you are a boat full of young dudes, you will get pulled over. Unlike on the road, they don't have to have probable cause- they just ask to see if you have all your life jackets and you are off to the races...

I sold my last boat due to harassment by the fuzz out there. Stupidly I just bought another one.

you guys just go thte Gnarly Gar and grab some burgers and a few drinks. there are 5-6 restaurants you can get to by boat. That's more fun than eating brisket on a boat full of dudes.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

+1 on the Gnarly Gar.

Better than it has to be considering the scarcity of boatable restos.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options

My brother was in Austin on Sat, Apr 13th. He an his son got in line at Franklin's BBQ at about 2:30 pm. They got inside at 3:30 and sat down to eat their Q at 3:45. Total time was about 1 hr 15 min! 🙂

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

This is usually what I do. I've never waited longer than an hour or so. Plus ill fill you in on a little secret. Depending on your spot in line. If you are towards the end. They will give you your food half off sometimes.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• NDG
    edited April 2019
    Options

Welp Austin was amazing, but did not eat a bite of BBQ . . LOL. Our pontoon boat on Lake Travis was nuts, parked in waste deep water at 10:30 and the bachelorette party boats came rolling in steady for hours. Crazy. Detox today hurts. EDIT we had a captain, he was nuts too, captain didnt drink, but rolled the fatest joint I have ever seen about 30 mins into our trip, haha.

Columbus, OH

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2019
    Options

ha ha. Welcome to Austin. We were out there Thursday then went out to the Hill Country with some friends for the weekend.

BTW- were you guys at the lakeway HEB on Thursday? I saw a group of young (edit- bachelor party aged) guys with all their bags who looked like they were stocking up for a fun weekend on the lake. I thought it might have been your group just based on location and timing.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options

I was out by the Lake this Friday evening and saw a party bus at the gas station that was trashed inside. I talked to the driver and he said Bachelor Party... he did say good group of guys just having fun.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • NDG
    Options

@The Cen-Tex Smoker we did visit HEB near lake, but on sat! All we did thurs & fri was cabanas at our hotel called Fairmont Austin. Did Rainey st, Etc, which was 2 mins on a bird scooter. I am sure locals hate those things! Fun city for sure . . next time I want to visit with wife and focus on the food, etc.

Columbus, OH

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Sounds like an awesome weekend! You guys hit the hot spots for sure. Glad you had a good time. If you make it back with the wife hit me up and we will show you guys around.

• NDG
    Options

sounds good - gotta love this forum !

Columbus, OH

• fiber_induced_deuce
    Options

stranger danger, just sayin

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Save the $$$ on brisket and bring some stripper out on the boat with you....

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Strippers love brisket. It’s a well known fact.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options

I'm definitely not a fan of parking in waste deep water, anywhere.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options

I thought they loved the sausage.   or was it the wad of cash wrapped around it.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options

Just make sure you wrap it. Preferably not with peach butcher paper... :)

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options

+1 on that. If only the lady sitting next to me on the plane knew what I was reading.

There’s only been a handful of times I’ve laughed out loud when reading this forum. This one and there was a thread back when I joined about getting stains out of yeti...priceless.