Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holding 225 overnight

Options

Twice now I've kicked off long slow smokes at 10ish, stabilized the temp on my BGE at 225, gone to bed at 1:00 or 2:00 with the temp still holding steady, and awakened at 8:00 or so to find the temp drifted too low or too high (once it was at about 150 for a giant pork butt, the other it was at 275 for a 14 pound brisket). Both times I put fruit juice and water in my drip pan on top of the convEGGtor, and both times, it was evaporated when I checked it in the morning, and both times I suspect I put too much charcoal and/or too many chunks of whatever was my smoking medium (i.e. hickory or cherry). Any ideas to keep the temp between 225 and 250 for several hours? Is it the liquid in the drip pan that evaporates, causing the temp to increase? Too much charcoal? Or am I destined to wake up and check it every couple of hours?

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited April 2019
    Options

Welcome aboard - and yes, once the liquids evaporate, you will get a temp spike. No need to put liquids in a drip pan in the egg - it retains enough moisture naturally. Also, you could consider a temp controller (I love the Smobot. But others here are big fans of the Flameboss and a few others out there)?

edit - I doubt the amount of lump has anything to do with your issues, unless you don’t put enough in and your fire dies.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options

Welcome to the forum. I have been in your shoes many times. I’d suggest losing the water/juice in the drip pan. Not needed in an egg as it is in other cookers. You aren’t using too much lump. I have had the same issue with losing the temp overnight. Mine always goes south. I started trying to stabilize between 250-275° Instead of 225° and have not had any issues. Stabilize for at least 1 hour before putting protein on overnight. Temp will drop but should bounce back where it was. Also, make sure you aren’t using all large pieces of lump. But I’d say start with losing the drip pan with liquid in it and you should see improvement.

Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options

Looks like I was too slow. Ditto the above comments. Looking forward to seeing the future briskets and other cooks!

Snellville, GA

• hhicks
    hhicks Posts: 3
    Options

Y'all are awesome, thanks! I'll ditch the liquid/drip pan and leave it a little hotter before getting some zzz's and we'll see what we get.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options

Like you I've never been able to achieve a full, overnight cook at 225 (I now have a Smobot but haven't tried it with that yet). 250-275 work fine, and you might get to have brisket at lunch along with dinner the next day!

For many years I lit my lump with a single paraffin square in the middle of the pile. One night, true to form, my Maverick woke me up at 0400 telling me the IT was below 200. I stumbled out onto the back patio (during that surreal period between happy drunk and hangover), pulled the grate/briskie out, and saw that the lump had burned almost a perfect cylinder, straight down, about the diameter of a V-8 can! Would've been an unbelievable photo, but again I was surreal and just stirred the lump, it took off again, I replaced the briskie, swatted a few mosquitoes and went back to bed. The beef was fine, next day.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

You are getting the right advice from a lot of pros. My egg likes 260 for low and slow cooks. It will sit there for 36 hours on a full load of lump so I let it do what it likes.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hhicks
    hhicks Posts: 3
    Options

That's great, Botch! I failed to mention that my true intention is to enjoy that surreal period between happy drunk and hangover in peaceful slumber without worrying about what's happening on my BGE!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Lo n slo not needed. I do my butts at ±320°. Start at 9-10AM, finish by dinner time. No overnight cooks, tastes the same.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options

I agree with @Carolina Q , run your butts and ribs turbo. Look for a habanero death dust rib thread I did a bit ago, they were done in two hours. If i need to do an overnight i set it to 275ish and start around 10pm. Then i can sleep and know my temp is going to be close to that in the morning. 225 my fire snuffs out.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options

Welcome Aboard!! Always Low and Slow here and using a Flame Boss has made it way easier!! No drip pan, never foil, just low and slow here at 225 for the Boston Butts. With the Flame Boss I sleep like a baby without a care in the world or maybe that's the alcohol, who knows???

Have fun and the people on this forum have been there done that and have so much knowledge, use them! I always do!!

Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited April 2019
    Options

I remember a time when lots of people were complaining about not being able to keep a fire going overnight at 225. Seemed like the consensus was 225 was too small a fire and not enough airflow. Most people's Eggs, at least mine, like to hang out around 250. Try running 250 next time and like everybody else has mentioned ditch the water pan. And go ahead and start your fire earlier. Maybe right after dinner. You won't burn that much charcoal and you'll be more confident that its stable after its been going a few hours before you go to bed.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options

i used to do alot of cooks at 225 overnight, bought a maverick temp alarm. realized after a while that setting the low alarm at 170 and high alarm at 270 that the cook worked just fine if i made adjustments in the morning cooking higher if the overnight was too low or cooking lower if the overnight temps were to high. the maverick just sits in the drawer now and i dont worry about it.......get rid of the water in the pan, it adds to this problem

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options

Agree with all the above, get rid of the water pan.

Disagree about being able to hold 225 at grate level. Remember that the dome temp is higher than the grate.

The reason I purchased a DigiQ with my XL was for low and slow cooks.

Since then I have moved to the FB 300 and I can hold overnight cooks at 225 consistently. The temp may vary a few degrees but 225 is possible provided you have a decent controller.

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options

And then a sole dissenting voice whispered, “get a bigger drip pan”. Fond of my drippin’s.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

Drippins are great but a water-pan is not needed which I think is the general flavor of posts. 😎

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited April 2019
    Options
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options

Good advice all around here.

I'll just add that the reason many recipes call for 225 is because that's an easy temp for traditional offset smokers to maintain. Kamados, not so much. And going with whatever temp your BGE is comfortable at won't ruin anything. It takes a fair amount of practice to learn the best vent settings for different temperatures, but the Egg is really good at keeping a stable temperature if used as it's designed.

Or you can just hook up a FlameBoss fan controller and it will do a good job of maintaining any temperature you want.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options

I never USED to have problems with water pans and 225...

then i read this thread and the egg has been going haywire.

Cleaning out the ash from the bottom and using a high-q fire grate helps me out there, I think. The water makes me think I’m getting better mike flavor and a deeper ring.

Thats just me...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

Should you go down the water pan route the key to success is to make sure you keep water in the pan so you don't get the runaway temp spike. And yes, the more moist the meat surface the better adherence for the smoke particles. Whatever works for you to deliver the goods you are aiming for is all that matters. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

I'll echo what @The Cen-Tex Smoker says.....my large's sweet spot is at 260.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options

I've only had a problem holding temp of 225 or better when I used cheap charcoal. Here'e a couple of things that I haven't seen in the suggestions that you have gotten thus far.

1. ensure you are using quality lump charcoal. Cheap stuff can have a tendancy to not burn well.
    2. make sure your egg is thoroughly cleaned before doing low and slows. Airflow!
    3. usually people are reading the dome thermo which can be 20 plus degrees higher than the temperature at the grid level.

Keep these things and the other suggestions in mind and they all should help. Good Luck.

XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

My egg won't hold anything under 250 without fan assist. I will run until the charcoal is gone at 250 but the fire will go out at 225.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options

I don't cook at 225 for that very reason. I cook at 250 at least, usually 275.

War Damn Eagle!
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options

@hhicks As already stated, ditch the water pan, I use this just to keep the crap off the placesetter :

And everyone has there favorite temperature controller but I prefer Flame Boss, I would suggest contacting @stlcharcoal as he give discounts for members of our forums... Not only that he is a great guy... FWIW Also... you can set alarms with the Flame Boss, if the grate temp or meat temp gets too hot it will text you if that will wake you up to address the situation...

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

As others have said, ditch the water pan.

The other thing that can screw with low and slows is wind. Also, check for gasket leaks and cracks in the base. If you see smoke coming out anywhere on startup, that's a place that can suck air as you really limit the intake / draft door.....especially with a wind change.

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited April 2019
    Options

If you want temperature stability while you sleep at night, get a temp controller. Otherwise there’s is no guarantee. Period. Even with a water pan.

Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic