Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella for Good Friday

Options

A little late posting but when I go visit the in-laws I am basically off the grid. I made seafood paella for the family for Good Friday. It has become an annual thing. It’s a smaller crowd than Thanksgiving so I use the 22” inch pan. The paella was shrimp, cod, and mussels. I used seafood broth and Bomba rice, smoked paprika, onion, grated tomato, S&P, and good saffron. I’m always amazed how good paella tastes with such simple seasonings.

Cooking the soffrito.

Rice and broth (and saffron) go in.

After about 10 minutes I add the fish and shrimp.

When it gets close to done I add the mussels. Then it’s just a matter of waiting for the rice to toast on the bottom.

This is after a 10 minute rest under a towel and added garnish.

This paella turned out really well and the crowd enjoyed it. Thanks for looking y’all.

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options

I can see why it became an annual thing. That looks fantastic

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

I love Paella. Beautiful cook and presentation. The lemon garnish is cool.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options

Saw the title and the poster, clicked on the thread.... did not disappoint. Looks great!

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

I knew what I was gonna find when I opened this given @SciAggie and paella. Another great cook and presentation. Screen eater right there! Congrats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2019
    Options

That... is beautiful. It seems like its been a while since you posted a paella cook. Thanks for showing us again how it should be be done.

And your spectators better know you mean business when you show up with your own, custom fabbed, paella cooker/table !!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options

Love Paella... I tried cooking it myself many times, it was OK at best and never looked that good. Nice cook my friend.

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options

Thanks y’all. I really enjoy cooking paella over a wood fire. You can really control the heat and it’s just - fun.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Looking good!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited April 2019
    Options

There's been some activity on the tube about Easter Island recently, and your lemons, and the mussels, remind me of the stone heads!

Sadly I've only had paella once in my life, and its not a practical dish to cook when you live alone; I absolutely loved it when I did have it (somewhere in Jersey, ~1985). I need to live differently, somehow.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options

Always impressive.

Snellville, GA

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

I opened this thinkin Aggie done gine and done it again. I read it and I was correct.

Nice cook @sciaggie You need to visit us more often. I miss your cooks

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    Options

@Mattman3969 I’ve been lurking. The weather so far this year has been lousy for involved outdoor cooks. I’m cooking a lot as always - just nothing out of the ordinary. I’m anxious to cook a few things and post more soon.

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I have never had paella, ever. Bought a paella pan at least 5-6 years ago because of the cooks I saw on this forum (actually, the old one) and I STILL have never tried it! Don't know why, but the cook intimidates me - always has. One of these days...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options

Beautiful cool as always, bet it was delicious

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Very nicely done

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options

That looks phenomenal. I can see why it has become a tradition.

Stillwater, MN
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Awesome.

Little Rock, AR

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options

Mouth watering

Jacksonville FL
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options

Way to go, SciAggie, it looks awesome.

Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Yea...what @caliking said!

Mouth watering good just looking at the pictures.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options

Absolutely great looking cook.

Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options

Certainly looks like a Great Friday if you ask me ;)

DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options

Nicely done and nice write-up, thanks. I need a better paella pan, I have pan-envy.

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

Love seeing your posts. Time to get that pan hanging out in the garage and give Paella a try again! Love the open pit fire!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Yeah @YEMTrey beat me to it. I thought Tiger had a good week but man you are a true champion in your own right. I’m in awe.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

Got a link to that pan?

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SciAggie
    Options

The Pata Negra pans are better in my opinion if you are cooking over wood and maybe subjecting the pan to higher or uneven heat. I’ve found them worth the expense.

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

Is the Pata Negra pan as thick a gauge as a typical carbon steel pan, or is it on thinner/flimsier side with rolled edges like most paella pans?

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

Without a doubt, one of the greatest posts, ever. This IS how it is done, and should be done, a true master of this art form called paella.

@SciAggie makes it look simple, and this cook is anything but.

If I could cook like that I would never set foot in a lab again.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    edited April 2019
    Options

They are sturdy. Not as thick as my deBuyer CS skillet, but I wouldn’t want it to be at 22”. They are certainly not flimsy.

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon