Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nashville Hot Chicken. Grilled.

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
edited April 2019 in EggHead Forum

Apparently there's a place called "Hattie B's" in Nashville that's well-known; I've never been to Nashville but saw this recipe and wanted to try it, as it uses the "grill-fried" technique I posted about a couple weeks ago. Here's the recipe:

Grilled Nashville Hot Chicken

After a recent trip to Hattie B’s in Nashville, TN, I sought to reproduce their sweet and spicy flavors on the grill. Basically, I used our method of making (non) fried chicken on the grill, and after it was done, I “painted” it with the spicy oil.

The below recipe is adapted from our previous Nashville hot wings and Hattie B’s recipe available online. Be careful, it’s quite spicy. “Paint” with less oil to reduce the spice level.

Ingredients:

• Kosher salt: 1/2 teaspoon per lb of chicken (for dry brine) + 3/4 teaspoon for hot oil
  • Panko bread crumbs
  • All-purpose flour
  • Whole Chicken – preferably with skin on – cut into 8-10 pieces (wings, legs, thighs, breasts)
  • 2 eggs – whipped for egg wash
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • Spray oil
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup canola oil – warmed
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

1.) Dry brine the chicken: sprinkle chicken with salt (1/2 teaspoon per lb of chicken ( and cover in fridge for at least 4 hours, as long as 48 hrs. The dry brine will allow the salt to penetrate deep into the chicken.

2.) After 4-48 hours, remove chicken from the fridge and pat dry

3.) Prepare the dip and dredge. For the dip, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and hot sauce. For dredge, mix Panko and all-purpose flour in a 2:1 ratio.

4.) Dredge chicken in the Panko/flour mixture, then dip in the milk mixture, then in the flour mixture again.

5.) Grill indirect at 400 degrees (medium-high heat) until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. This may take 40-60 minutes. Half-way through, I usually spray with oil which adds a little fat to make sure crunchy external surface develops nicely. Be careful when handling the chicken, the crust has a tendency to fall off easily.

6.) Prepare the Nashville hot oil: into the warmed oil, whisk cayenne pepper, brown sugar, 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.

7.) Baste or “Paint” the mixture over the cooked (non) fried chicken and serve immediately.

Botch here: here's the wangs after dipping/breading/resting (and they weren't that blue):

Ready to come off (sorry, no sauced shots; green beans, tortillas, and a cold Klaussen Garlic pickle completed the meal)

Some notes:

1. The recipe stated that the coating falls off easily, but didn't include a couple hours in the frig to let it "set up"; I did that and didn't have an issue.
  2. I also didn't go bread/dip/bread, just dip/bread; I don't like really thick coatings on wangs.
  3. I raised my eyebrows at the amount of cayenne, the recipe does warn that its quite hot. I changed it to 2 Tblspns of cayenne and 1 Tblspn of paprika. I wouldn't want it any hotter.
  4. I wasn't impressed with the sauce, anyway. I don't think brown sugar dissolves in oil, and it was gritty, and more heat than flavor.
  5. The above recipe called for 1 hour at 400. I use a Smobot now and set it to 400, after one hour the bottoms of some wings were burned and temped at 190-200 (fortunately, that doesn't bother wangs like it does breasts).
  6. I may try these again, but will do something different with the sauce. The panko/flour crust was great!

Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Reading over my post, I see the recipe calls for 40-60 minutes cooking time, my bad!

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments