Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Way to Smoke Butt

So I’m getting ready to smoke 2 8# pork butts for Easter. I figure I’ll be getting up really early tomorrow to start the cook. Stabilize Egg at 250. But some really obvious question that my mind won’t let me answer. Smoke it with fat cap down OR facing up? I figure it should be up so that fat juices will run down the butt however I also can see that it can protect the butt by being on the bottom. Help

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814

Many of us will say it doesn't matter. Some will say up, some will say down. There is no consensus on this issue. I have never seen anyone provide a compelling case for either. I tend to think that the fat cap should face towards the mothership!!!

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited April 2019

I like down so it sticks to the grate and I get better bark all the way around. Some people trim it off and flip the butt a few times during the cook.

No matter which way you put the fat cap, it will be good!

The fat fat that flavors the meat is inside the pork not in a cap.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

Not sure when you’ plan to serve, but you may want to consider cooking a little hotter, like closer to 300 and give them some rest time.

• Thanks for the comments. Planning to go fat down then because I love some good bark. Plan to eat around 630 pm so I’m thinking it needs to be on about 5 am at 250 or so.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Sounds like a plan, but I agree with @Legume that you still may want to consider cooking hotter. If you hold 250 then they can take 2 hours per lb so you are looking at a potential 16 hour cook. I would rather them finish a couple of hours early and FTC or hold in the oven on keep warm.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ok @SmokeyPitt and @Legume let me give it a whirl. Going to go up a little warmer. I have to remind myself that I’m cooking 2 butts and not one. I’ll share pictures of the process. Thanks!!

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310

1 butt or 4 does not matter. It may take a wee bit longer to recover once you put the butts on but the cook will be what you expect from 1. They may finish at different times but FTC if so. Enjoy the ride

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• balamaci
    balamaci Posts: 15

I agree with @SmokeyPitt and @Legume to cook at a higher temperature. I like to cook my butts at about 1 hour per lb. So I cook between 290 and 300 until the the stall at 180 degrees and then increase to 325 until the end (203 degrees). As you can see everyone has their own method.

LBGE, CGS Adjustable Rig & Spider,  Weber Kettle, Weber Summit,Thermoworks Smoke, Smokeware Cap
    Johns Island, SC, Fairfax, VA

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

Fat Down

350 Indirect (Turbo)

Approx 45 minutes/lb. (to approx 190-200 Internal). Rest for an hour.

Hickory and Apple

New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125

Agree with the others. Take the stress out of the equation. Cook hotter and rest longer.

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399

Cooking 8-9 pound butts at 275 will result in a total cook time of around 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours.

i were eating at 6pm I would lit those butts on at 275 instead of 250 at around 8am (thus getting more sleep), and they should be done around 2-3pm providing 3-4 hours of rest prior to serving.

gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039

I used to do low and slow. I would start my egg at about 10 PM and put the butts on around 11 PM and cook them way up into the next day. I cooked at 225 and it took about 14-18 hour to cook.

i don’t do that anymore. In fact I cooked two 7 pounders today. Started the egg at 7 AM and put the butts on around 8. Started at 290 and worked the temperature up to about 315. They hit the stall around 11 AM and were done at 1 PM. I wrapped them for the last hour. They were perfect at least in my book.

PS, fat cap down.

Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900

I am completely unable to tell the difference between low & slow and turbo butt, so turbo is the only way I do it any more.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • The butts are on! Have been for about 25 minutes on their way to 275°. Here they are before their sacrifice!

• jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248

You can also try smoking it at 250 for the first 3 to 4 hours and then crank the temp up to bring it to your desired temperature. Once you take it off, FTC for 30 mins or more till you are ready to pull it for dinner.

Good luck!

XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231

I have switched to turbo only now - (350 for about 45 minutes/lbs). It is just too easy, I can put a butt on about 9am and it be ready for dinner. No waking up early and no long nights.

I like fat side down, for bark like others of stated.

The only thing I do not like about turbo all the way is it sometimes dries out about 1/8"-1/4" of the outer meat, just under the bark. To avoid this, about 3 hours into the cook when I have a nice bark, I put the but in a pan, pour about 1/2" of apple juice and some apple cider vinegar. I wrap the pan tight in foil and let it braise until it finishes.

Let it rest, pour off most of the juice, then shred it in the pan in the remaining juice. Since switching to this method, I get even more complements and requests. Hardly anyone add BBQ sauce, even too pulled pork sandwhiches. As the meat sits a little and dries out, just stir it, plenty of juice in the bottom to re-moisten the meat.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984

Bone in only. Indirect low and slow. Peach glazed, peach smoked.

Brine 48 hours, set in rub 12 -16 hours

Coat the butt with peach preserves.

No pans necessary, no spray, no injection needed. The bark keeps ALL the moisture inside.

Pull when the bone is easily removed from the roast.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141

Turbo is the only way to go!

Carrollton, Va
  • Ok so feedback on the butts were....fantastic. It was a cook that was about 9 1/2 hours from start to finish with a 1 hour rest before pulling. Tremendously moist with a good bark. Best feedback of all was in actions...as all adults went back for more! Thanks for all your ideas here. Turned out so well!

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060

Did you crank the temp up? Usually at 250 I'm nearly 2 hours per pound, so 9.5 hours seems quick if it wasn't 325+

Looks great though!

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Moved it up to about 280-300. This is the end result.

• Cooked a butt this past weekend at 300 with a flameboss and it turned out amazing. 1 hour per pound cook time. fat side down, did not wrap. I find if I cook below 275 the meat has a strange burnt charcoal taste. Therefore, I dont cook below 275