Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kirkland rack of lamb

Options
Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901

Plan is to Olive oil and season with cavenders thinking a forward sear on the kettle and pulling when IT hits 130-135.

ive never cooked these before but always been curious. I don’t have any mint sauce. Is that a mistake should I pick some up before grilling in a few hrs?

if if anyone has any advice or a better game plan please chime in :-)

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options

If you can swing it, fresh rosemary, garlic & lemon with the olive oil. Don’t be shy with them.

• Legume
    Options

One more thing, lamb fat tends to flare quite a bit so don’t go too far away.

• Hans61
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Legume
    Options

I’m not familiar with cavenders, but it looks like a seasoning blend with s&p, garlic and oregano, I always salt and pepper the chops anyway, so go for it.. Chop some rosemary and fresh garlic and add that too. Squeeze a little lemon over the meat when you pull it off.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

I do a reverse sear. Low, slow and indirect to about 105 or 110, then remove roast and get egg to about 500F and stay indirect. Put egg back in and go to target temp.

i to use salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. OR I use a light hand with dizzypig red eye express.

I never use mint jelly because I do not like it.

With that being said, I do also have cavenders but have not used it on meat. I use it on snowpeas and other veggies.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options

Cavenders Seasoning is my go to for Greek Lamb chops. You may want to consider cutting the roast into individual chops or even double cut chops.

I usually cook them direct like a steak and squeeze some lemon on the prior to pulling then off the Egg.

• Hans61
    Options

Is the meat supposed to have a strong and pungent funkiness?

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options

Wife smelled and said hell no, so we’re returning it I guess. Hopefully try again later in the week.

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

That is odd. It will have a mild smell, which once you know what it is, you will associate it with lamb. But normally it is not a strong smell.

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options

Always listen to your wife in these situations. I’ve never found raw lamb to have a funky smell. Sounds spoiled to me.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Legume
    Options

As @dstearn says, cut into double chops before you grill when you get a fresh rack. Every chop gets an end sear that way. I also reverse sear them.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Great advice with the rosemary and garlic. Hopefully you get another try soon. I don't care for mint jelly either. I really like horseradish sauce like you would use with prime rib.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

I've had to return one of those before due to the same reason.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options

It will have a lamb meat smell but I never thought it was that strong.

I cook them about once, maybe twice a month. Season them with a variety of different rubs, different one each cook. There is a really good rosemary Panko breaded recipe. I'll have to find it. It's an oven recipe but Works great indirect on the egg.

I always trim the silver skin, thin out half the fat, peel the membrane if there is one, oil, season, sear on a cast iron, then indirect on the egg at 325 until there's an internal temp of 125-128 then pull and rest 5 mins. I never cut it smaller like the others suggested. I'm not after end pieces. Don't go over 135 or you start to get the gamey taste that turns people off from lamb. The more done, the worse it tastes. I never use any jelly or lemon or anything when done. I like it rubbed, cooked and served.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options

I just sprinkle with kosher salt, and half way through the cook smear the top side with country dijon mustard and crushed garlic. There is a lot of fat on these, but it's the good fat (flavor) and should be eaten.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

It is a good thing that you do not have any mint sauce.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

I made the mistake of throwing one out due to vac package smell. Don’t let the wife smell it, give it a rinse and roll on. Good advice above.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options

I have cooked lots of lamb racks from Costco, but always the ones in the 'specials' butcher case. I have never bought a cryovace package. Never had a problem. We did buy a cryo pack of spareribs once, and they stunk to high heaven. Ynette just about yorked when we opened the package. They went back to the store, and since then we have been buying all our pork at a Mexican grocery store in the neighborhood. They have great pork: ribs, butts, loins, whatever. Pretty decent beef ribs and roasts, but not so much of a selection on steaks.

Lamb does smell different from beef or pork, but even from a cryovac bag it shouldn't smell nasty.

XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options

And also, that radioactive green jelly is an abomination. Rosemary and a little mint on the lamb is better. Or get a good mint sauce made with real mint, not mint flavoring.

XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

How was it!?!?? I need to see pictures of this cook!!!

😀

LBGE/Maryland
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

@Photo Egg does some really good chops!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Thanks, and I think he is on track with his above ideas. Love that rub!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hans61
    Options

I had to scrap the project because wife smelled and it was too strong for her out of the package. I generally lean towards thinking things are fine and I was even questioning it , Going to try and get another to do later this week

Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options

cover the gameness with sweet, try lamb Lolly pops. I saw on tv they looked mouth watering. Google it

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

Bummer. I open some pork and lamb and question the strong smell. It's usually just a strong smelling meat but I don't cook lamb often enough to really know. Ahh well, if the next one smells the same, just roll with it!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Legume
    Options

Fwiw, I usually get lamb racks at Sam’s, same quality but they come in a two pack and are a bit cheaper.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2019
    Options

Pull them out of the cryo pack and rinse them off in the sink.

Pat/rub dry with paper towels. If you don't rinse at least pat them real dry. Trim away nearly all the fat. Lamb fat is acquired taste and I don't have it. Way different than beef.

Very light coat of Olive oil. I like your spay idea. Season as above.

I have had some smell stronger than others but always more than beef.

This was a larger rack, top are lamb pops.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options

I cook these Kirkland Lamb racks all the time. When opening the package, I have noticed sometimes the smell is excessive. Still, once cooked they came out delicious.

I've been using Spiceology KQ2, which has activated charcoal and makes a wonderful crust/bark. I also reverse sear as others have mentioned...usually to medium, but my Middle Eastern friend once encouraged me to cook to well-done. I was surprised it still came out delicious without any gamey flavor.