Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BMW Owners OT

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options

get a second hand rover with a jaguar engine, 147 mph in a rover is fast enough. knocking on wood, ill probably crash it before it breaks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options

Agree. I’ve had 3 - 1990, 2007, and 2013 - all good.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options

Your wife gets it from my perspective. SWMBO drives a Lexus and my sentiments are right in line with your wife's. But then again, I'm not a fan of slush box transmissions either 😎

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited April 2019
    Options

I used to like how the lexus look, but the new grill over the past few years turns me off. I don't like the pinch in the middle like a dang bowtie. I had an es350 and liked it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

We lease our two Mercedes but we recently had to replace my tires at around 24000 mile on my GLE 350 plus rear brakes and replace the two rear tires on my wife's little convertible...can't remember what its called.

My biggest beef with my Mercedes is the horrible smell from the AC system which is a known problem with Mercedes. They won't do anything about it and when I asked my salesperson about it he suggested that I cut the AC off 2 minutes before turning the car off. I told him I didn't pay XXXXX $ to override their sh!tty AC defect and that after leasing 3 cars from him in 4 years, I'll look elsewhere when the leases are up.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options

We have owned five BMWs. We bought them new and had all service done by the dealer, even after the warranty had expired. The first three were fantastic. No problem going well over 100K miles.

The last two (keyword - LAST) BMWs were disasters after about 50K miles. On our 7 series, the security alarm would blast away for no reason. Even while in our garage when the car was unlocked. Occasionally, the turn signal wouldn't reset after turning. The last straw was after leaving the beast at the dealer or over a week, the verdict was "we can't find the problem". Various silly problems with the 328i but the worst would be when the engine would shut off while driving.

Switched to Mercedes and have been delighted. Haven't had an issue with bad smell from AC system.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

agreed- a $50,000 truck is cheaper to own than a $30,000 German sedan. period.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options

All the German bashing is making me worried about wife’s new Q7. We tend to keep cars for 10 years so will see how it goes. Great driving car so far.

Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2019
    Options

Edit- I've had it longer than I originally thought:

I have loved the E550 but I just did the math. We have spent $350 a month in maintenance and tires in the 60 months we have had it. 3/4 of that was covered under the $4000 extended warranty and I didn't roll that cost in to the total. so it would really be more like $410 a month. Yikes.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2019
    Options

It has been all the fancy stuff that has been the issue. Air ride suspension, active air bag bolsters in the seats (totally unnecessary but i still love these- they squeeze you tight when you hit the gas and they hug you in on the direction you turn. Faster the turn, the more the support) , $300 tires, $300 batteries that go out every year because of all the electronics on board (and there are 2 of them). It's never ending but the motor and tranny have 110,000 miles and runs like a bat out of hell. Never touched either for maintenance.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

Wow!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited April 2019
    Options

Have owned lots of cars and trucks over past 50 years, many of which were muscle cars (I was mechanic in 70’s) with big engines. Now we have tiny engines with twin turbos and computers to manage them. My F150 King Ranch has a tiny 3.5 Ecoboost, but I put another 5 years of extended warranty on it. So many expensive things that can fail!

i still have always wanted a Porsch!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

I have that engine in my 2011 F150. It’s been great, but will be selling it before I have any major issues. Mileage keeps drifting downward too.

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options

"A cheap German car is the most expensive car to own." There's a reason this saying exists and a used 7 series is case in point.

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • lousubcap
    Options

And German steel as well. Lokks like there was a slight knee adjustment just before impact to get closer to a center-line point of impact. Tragic.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    edited April 2019
    Options

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options

huh? It is a 1999 300E turbo charged diesel that runs like a top and is a helluva open road machine! At under 66K miles that diesel is a mere puppy. I have kept it up quite nicely and in spite of being 20 years old you wouldn't know it. At my age I really doubt I will sell it as it has little trade-in value.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options

Go for a Pontiac. They make grate cars.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options

Wow, I was a heavy tobacco user and when I quit the only thing I could afford was a MM. 😜

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    edited April 2019
    Options

Had a 2019 BMW430i for 5 months. Traded it for a 2019 4Runner. Could not be happier. 4Runner has no bells or whistles. Only safety device is back up camera. Little nav screen, old school LCD clock, tiny info icons on dash. I love it.

The BMW nav screen and infotainment was outstanding, car looked nice, but at the end of the day not for me.

Then again I also drive a Jeep Wrangler that I love, so take my judgement with a grain a salt.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

Mrs 3969s last car was a 2009 C300 4Matic. Not a bad car but got to be costly about the 90,000 mark. We test drove a new Mercedes and it rode like a road wagon and the cabin noise was horrible enough to cross it off the list. We then drioce a Lexus. Drive was good, road noise good but the room in the cabin sucked. She ended up with a Kia Stinger. This car is crazy quick, quiet cabin and roomy with a crazy amount of electronic features.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Maybe it’s just my style, but I don’t want my car to have too many bells and whistles. The more high tech you put into a vehicle, the faster it looks dated and obsolete, to my eyes. And as other have rightly noted, the more to go wrong.

I like cars the way I like some of the other finer things in life: fun and stripped bare.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

This thread has given me a strong stomachache.... 😯

I miss my Saabs. '86 900 Turbo, 210,000 miles, destroyed by someone running a red light (not me). '88 900 Turbo Convertible, 165,000 miles (a few problems with this girl). '01 9-3 Convertible, 147,000 miles, running like a top but sold Her as parts were getting scarce.

My '92 Toyota pickup (purchased new) got 215,000 miles, destroyed by someone running a stop sign (again, not me), no major maintenance. My current '09 Tacoma just turned over 60,000 miles, and the only expensive bill was my recent 60K Scheduled maintenance, $1,100 (with a 15% coupon, which for once, they sent me right before the maintenance, not right after!)

Oh, one other interesting tidbit about my '09 Taco: summer of '17, the dealership I bought it from offered to buy it back for $4,000 less than I paid for it, 8 years prior!! And this wasn't a "trade-in-for-a-new-model", they wanted to buy it from me straight up! Plus, my mailman has asked me about buying it, twice now. No fancy software or screens here, either....

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lousubcap
    Options

@GrateEggspectations

The below may be one of the finest quotes I have read in recent times;

"I like cars the way I like some of the other finer things in life: fun and stripped bare."

I only hope to have the opportunity to recycle that down-stream. ⚓️

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options

Well said by you and the same in principle by others. Besides my forementioned '99 MB I also have a cherry '95 Corvette with only 16k miles. Every time I get a wild hair up my *ss about trading or selling that vet I recall the horrible stories by some neighors who bought a 2016 and a 2017. Both gave over $70k and had nothing but many expensive "computer" driven real and false issues. One neighor coined the term "raped twice by GM and then by *******.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

I had an 09 Taco that I drove till 2017. Had 92000 miles. Traded for a ‘17 for $5grand less than I paid. Tacos hold their value.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.