Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean Fried Chicken Wings... and a ribeye

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731

Things get dangerous when I take a few days off 😁

Decided to work on KFC wings. Marinated some wings in soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, gochugaru, ginger, garlic. Wanted to try 3 versions - dredged in dry cornstarch alone, a batter made with AP flour + corn starch, and a batter made with APF + rice flour, expecting that the rice flour would give it extra crunch.

Double-fried (350°F x 3 mins, then 400° x 1 min).

Things were looking promising after the first fry. Crumbs from the APF + RF battered wings were indeed crunchier.

Made the sauce with ginger, garlic, teriyaki, honey, ketchup, gochujang, gochugaru, and rice wine. Simmered for a bit to thicken, then tossed each batch of wings in the sauce.

Starting top left, clockwise = APF + RF batter, cornstarch only, and APF + cornstarch batter.

These did not suck! The cornstarch only version held up the best after being sauced. Couldn't tell much of a difference between the APF + CS batter vs. APF + RF batter after being spun in the sauce, so I'll likely stick with the cornstarch only version in the (near) future. It helps that its also the easiest method. Somehow, I managed to save a few for caliqueen. Since I don't want to sleep on the couch tonight.

And because I had a frying operation already set up, and a prime ribeye in the fridge, I dredged half of it in cornstarch then dropped it in some leftover batter. It founds its way into some conveniently hot oil.

Topped with a dollop of leftover sauce.

Not bad, but not better than a steak done the caveman way.

Now I'm stuffed. Time to take my pants off and drink some whiskey. cali out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments