Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg 3 ways

Options

I don't post cooks too often, but @alaskanassasin called out the lurkers, so here goes . . . Yesterday was a lovely, cool spring day, and I did three cooks on the LBGE.

First up were cold smoked cashews, using apple pellets in the A-Maze-N pellet tray -

Next was meatloaf (50/50 beef and turkey, with some mushrooms mixed in for good measure) cooked @ 300* with some peach and pecan chunks -

The day ended with a pair of pizzas (thanks for the reminder last week about Jim Lahey's no-knead recipe), first one olives and goat cheese, the second just cheese. The gasket actually burning was a new experience in my 11+ years with the BGE -

All in all a tasty day. Thanks for looking.

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options

Great groceries!

Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

Meatloaf looks incredible. Nice cooks.

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options

Good comeback from the 'callout'. All good cooks right there.

Unfortunate with the gasket ignition but I think you got maximum life expectancy from it.

Sudbury, Ontario
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

there you go. nice cooks all around.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Very nice. Those cashews would make a wonderful gift for say a guy in Illinois. 😜

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

Very nice. I never thought of doing that with cashews before. I'm not sure why. I've cold smoked cheese on my lg BGE before.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options

Great looking vittles!

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options

Two part congrats here. First to @MO_Eggin for showing us how it's done on a variety of cook (cashews and pizzas for the wins) and nailing every one and second for @alaskanassasin for opening the forum to those who should be here on a routine basis.

Thanks @MO_Eggin for the post. You have this sorted out and could offer much to the forum.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options

Nicely done! After seeing this hope you share more often.

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options

Well done! Thanks for sharing those awesome cooks, you could bag those cashews and give them for gifts!

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options

Nice all the way around...

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options

@MO_Eggin Does the Frank’s do a good job keeping the seasoning stick to the cashews? I’ve tried a few different “binders” for smoked nuts and found that egg whites seem to be the best, but I don’t love the texture they leave.

Nailed those coins btw!

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options

I have used honey in the past if you like sweet and spicy

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options

@CornfedMA - I've found the Frank's works pretty well as a binder, but I need to shake the seasoning onto the nuts after they're spread out on the pizza screen rather than toss the nuts in the seasoning first; after smoking and roasting, the rub continues to adhere pretty well, but some will flake off depending on handling. I also tried the egg method and was not a fan of the texture.

• SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options

@MO_Eggin Thanks for the inspiration to smoke some cashews. I bought the Amaz'n smoker and am prepared to follow your recipe, but have begun to wonder if I could skip a step and smoke the nuts at 175-200° on the egg. Naturally, I want to use my new toy, but wonder if you have any experience with this and/or can point out the drawbacks to what I suggest.

• MO_Eggin
    Options

@SmokeyLopey I've done it both ways - low n slow and cold smoke. With low n slow, I have trouble keeping temps below 225-250*, and found that going more than an hour the nuts would start to burn (they turn too dark and taste bitter), and after only an hour on the egg they'd often still need some time roasting in the oven at 200* to get to the crispiness I prefer. So I decided to try cold smoking and found I got a more consistent result with much less / no loss due to burning. If you can maintain <200* on the BGE, I'd give that a shot. Let us know how it works out!

• SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options

Thanks, @MO_Eggin; I may fire up the egg in the morning and see how low I can go. I have so small of an opening, top and bottom, at 250°, I'm not sure I can get below 200°. I appreciate your input and will let you know how it goes. Is it okay to store in plastic bags after they cool? Or, is there something better?

• MO_Eggin
    Options

Once cooled, bagging the nuts should be fine, although I usually keep them in bowls as they get eaten pretty steadily.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• MO_Eggin
    Options

@billt01 , I go 2-3 hours when cold smoking (amazen pellet tray). For hot smoking, I try to keep it under 250* but usually only go for an hour on the BGE to reduce the risk of burning the nuts.