Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite charcoal?

TKoot
TKoot Posts: 15
In my local city i can buy BGE and kamado Joe charcoal. I recently ordered some Fogo from a Canadian supplier. But I was wondering what people prefer and brands that are available to bought or ordered online in Canada. 

I have nothing against BGE and kamado but just really wanted to try other brands to see what's different and what I prefer

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,063
    edited March 2019
    I occasionally go over to the US to get Rockwood but if I am buying locally Basques sugar maple from Costco or the maple leaf brand from Lowes or Rona is pretty comparable 

I haven’t gone back to the egg brand since I burned the first few bags I bought when it was new 
  • I tried most of the majors.  Cowboy was the worst seemed to add some strong flavors not wanted.  BGE/Royal Oak were ok.  I tried Rockwood and so long as they sell lump that is what I will buy.  I find there product burns well and is very consistent.  I need to order some more soon :-)

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Hands down. Rockwood
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,184
    edited March 2019
    Couldn’t this wait for a Friday?  ;)

Basques or Maple Leaf are my go-to. Both pretty neutral. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Rolling in well south of the border- If you have access to any Maple Leaf lump as mentioned by @GrateEggspectations, jump on it.  I used to be able to source some at reasonable prices but since gone dry.  Perhaps my enthusiasm is measured by the challenge of getting any in hand but you will definitely enjoy.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Costco had Joe lump for 21$ for 30lbs.  am I going to regret it?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Good stuff egg on!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited March 2019
    Couldn’t this wait for a Friday?  ;)

Basques or Maple Leaf are my go-to. Both pretty neutral. 

This ^^.  

Being in Canada, you've got a couple great lumps at very reasonable prices.  I use Rockwood, but if I were in Canada, I'd be using Basques or Sugar Maple.  No need to import lump at a premium.

Phoenix 
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    TKoot said:
    In my local city i can buy BGE and kamado Joe charcoal. I recently ordered some Fogo from a Canadian supplier. But I was wondering what people prefer and brands that are available to bought or ordered online in Canada. 

I have nothing against BGE and kamado but just really wanted to try other brands to see what's different and what I prefer
    BGE is Royal Oak rebranded. I’ve tried all of the others but I use Royal Oak exclusively now. Rockwood (and some others) are superior, but the difference in quality isn’t worth the price difference in my opinion.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    I occasionally go over to the US to get Rockwood but if I am buying locally Basques sugar maple from Costco or the maple leaf brand from Lowes or Rona is pretty comparable 

I haven’t gone back to the egg brand since I burned the first few bags I bought when it was new 

I usually buy RO or Basques from Costco as well $13.99/ 20 lb. bag.

I may be going to the States in June and if so, I'll be buying a few bags of Rockwood to try.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65

Just out of curiosity, you folks who say you will sometimes buy Rockwood when you come to the US, or make the trip to get it, are any of you near the WNY/Buffalo border? I live in WNY and have not found it in any store I have tried, and I've tried a lot. I'm on vacation in southern North Carolina, and found some in an ACE Hardware so I bought 2 big bags...hope it fits in the car when we leave....I've never used it, and if I like it, I'd like to find a convenient place near home to buy it. Right now, my go to brand is Royal Oak. Thanks for any replies 😊

Franklinville, Western NY
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2019

Any Ace Hardware, or hardware store stocked by Emery-Jensen, in NY can order RW with SKU# 8400772. I don't know which stores have it on the E-J side, but with Ace, you can just search their site for the stores that have it in stock. And if they don't, just order it and it ships to the store free from their distribution center in Gansevoort NY (they usually have 10-15% off online coupons on Mondays on acehardware.com.)

Use this link: https://rockwoodcharcoal.com/ace-hardware/

We try to keep our site up to date with the store listings, but it's tough when some stores cycle out charcoal over the winter.

Per Ace's site, these stores show it in stock (probably best to call first):

Schuele Ace Hardware

920 Abbott Rd 

Buffalo, NY 14220-2424

(716) 331-3142

Spalding Ace Hardware

215 Davison Rd 

Lockport, NY 14094-3330

(716) 433-8155

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653

@Duuane - following up on @stlcharcoal‘s post - join the ACE rewards program. You will get frequent coupons. I have purchased a lot of Rockwood in the last several years from ACE and the only time I paid full retail was the first bag I purchased.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited March 2019

Fully agree. Just got a $5 card in mailbox (birthday), and had another 20% off coupon from last week. I use the ACE discounts for Rockwood and lawn fertilizer.

• Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65

Thank you, I have checked several ACE stores in the area with no luck, however I never asked if they would order it for me. I guess I dropped the ball on my search.

Franklinville, Western NY
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

Cowboy Lump if you can find it.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

@bgebrent - I thought you switched to railroad tie chunks?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited April 2019

😎

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535

Costco near me in Gueph is selling this new http://xylocarbone.com/index_english.html lump. 12.99 a bag. I got one bag, used it today and it seems very good, nice pieces and looked very 'clean'. Made in Canada is a seller for me.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597

I ordered online for in store pick up several times and finally they just started keeping a bag or two in stock.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

The best 2 ever. In no particular order.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927

I know I'm BIG-TIME in the minority here, but I've tried various brands of lump over the years and pretty much find them all to be the same.

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284

I agree with you. I tried what most consider the best, Rockwood, and what most consider the worst, Cowboy. I really can’t tell a major difference between them. I use royal oak for most of my cooks. I’ve never had any issues with it. I pretty much get what’s on sale. That is usually Royal Oak and sometimes cowboy.

Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited April 2019

The absolute best is the Char-Broil Center Cut. Nothing comes close to it as far as quality. It is by far the best lump out there. It's only downside is price. It burns clean in a matter of a couple of minutes. Don't look here on this forum for good reviews because very, very few have the balls to admit it is hands down superior to Rockwood.

• MNEggerandStuff
    MNEggerandStuff Posts: 239
    edited April 2019

Calling people out like that is silly.  Can't say I have ever seen the center cut you speak of but Rockwood doesn't get the reviews it does because people don't try others and give fair opinions.

Heck, most even say royal oak is good charcoal.

• DS_14
    DS_14 Posts: 9

I recently purchased a bag of komado joe lump from Lowes. I've used it on two of my recent cooks boston butt and again steaks On Saturday. My question is has anyone experienced an off taste with this particular brand. The only other time I have experienced this was w/ a bag of B&B a few years ago. I've used royal oak and Rockwood exclusively other than this however wasn't pleased with the size of Royal Oak over the last several bags. Rockwood is usually pretty consistent , however I was amazed at the size of the chunks in KJ, but obviously do not want to sacrifice taste. Any advice or similar experience you could share?

I'm hoping a couple of quick replys will save me an hour or two of searching similar topics in the endless "What charcoal... threads"

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284

My 5ish bag experience with KJ was all very good. As far as off taste, that could be many things. Did you let the fire stabilize before putting everything on? The bad smoke can cause bad tastes.

Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

I guess we’re just lucky he didn’t say he knows what the best lump is but can’t tell anyone because it’s a secret. I’ve seen that game before too. That chargrill lump is good, but my XL eats it up. I only buy it when it’s clearance priced end of season.

@DS_14 I’ve burned a few bags of the KJ. It was fine until about a year ago and then bags started getting heavier and it turned smokier. Last bag I opened a few weeks ago was still smoky 2 hours in and that was 350-375. I have 2-3 bags in garage that I’ll probably use to get the fire pit going and that’s about it.

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711

@DS_14 I have had a similar experience with the KJ lump and i always allow for ample stabilization. I picked up an off taste on a couple of cooks and haven't gone back. I'll use the leftovers for a clean burn one of these days. RO/RW for me depending on the cook...

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM