Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutting boards: you’ve been doing it wrong

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,334
    Whoever racks crap into a bowl like that is an idiot. Just saying ... And why are they racking the edge of their knife across the board like that. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Don’t put your meat in the hole
  • @ColtsFan: Right. I’ll look far less idiotic slopping my diced tomatoes onto the counter and floor.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Glad I only mince pearl onions....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Why can't they just do it in sections on the other side like they have to do with the hole? And, use the blount end of the knife when moving food on a board, never the sharpened end.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited March 2019
    Scraping the sharpened edge of your knife across the board is rediculously stupid.  I do use one of these yo move food when cutting large quantities 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    That must be the "liberal" method... Over-think it and do it in a stupid way. Seriously, moving things on the board (or off it) edge down is crazy, stupid, and unsafe. They didn't give their thoughts any credit when moving the diced tom's like a caveman when NOT going through the handle.
    I use the small boards for things that usually won't get pushed by anything (slicing sammich meat so that it's easier to clean the board when done). I also have a couple of pushers. One from Restaurant Depot just like the one my father got back in the early 80's White handle, nice stainless blade that's very thin (also works well to cut dough). For 99% of what I cut/chop I use my large (18" diameter, ~3" thick) butcher block. No stinking holes in that. I put some silicone feet on the block so it won't move around on me.
    If anyone (here) ever sees me moving something I chopped up through the cutting board's handle like that, feel free to give me a nut punch.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    1911Man said:
    That must be the "liberal" method... Over-think it and do it in a stupid way. Seriously, moving things on the board (or off it) edge down is crazy, stupid, and unsafe. They didn't give their thoughts any credit when moving the diced tom's like a caveman when NOT going through the handle.
    I use the small boards for things that usually won't get pushed by anything (slicing sammich meat so that it's easier to clean the board when done). I also have a couple of pushers. One from Restaurant Depot just like the one my father got back in the early 80's White handle, nice stainless blade that's very thin (also works well to cut dough). For 99% of what I cut/chop I use my large (18" diameter, ~3" thick) butcher block. No stinking holes in that. I put some silicone feet on the block so it won't move around on me.
    If anyone (here) ever sees me moving something I chopped up through the cutting board's handle like that, feel free to give me a nut punch.
    You seem like a rational person, well reasoned and not tended to irrational actions such as "nut punching".
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd be happy kicking you in the nuts for using partisan connotations. 

I would however be willing to remind you and then watch you jam something into your own nuts(fully clothed of course)  ;)

• nolaegghead
    I second the not fooling around with men's nuts thing.  Steel toed boot would be acceptable in some cases, though.
    Scraping the sharpened edge of your knife across the board is rediculously stupid.  
    I don't see it so much anymore, but in the early days of cooking shows, and in cookbooks, they're recommend chopping garlic, sprinkling it with salt, and then dragging the sharp edge of the knife over the mass to really pulverize it (the garlic).  Dumb!!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    Botch said:
    Scraping the sharpened edge of your knife across the board is rediculously stupid.  
    I don't see it so much anymore, but in the early days of cooking shows, and in cookbooks, they're recommend chopping garlic, sprinkling it with salt, and then dragging the sharp edge of the knife over the mass to really pulverize it (the garlic).  Dumb!!  
    Sure, if you keep the knife perpendicular to the board.

But if you keep the knife parallel to the board, technically at an angle smaller to the angle sharpened on the cutting edge - I sharpen mine at 17.5 degrees, so between 0 and 17.5, you can scoop up all your stuff and, using your hand, move it around and there's no need to get nut-punched or kicked because you'll never dull your blade.
    edited March 2019
    Botch said:

But if you keep the knife parallel to the board, technically at an angle smaller to the angle sharpened on the cutting edge - I sharpen mine at 17.5 degrees, so between 0 and 17.5, you can scoop up all your stuff and, using your hand, move it around and there's no need to get nut-punched or kicked because you'll never dull your blade.
    And...if you dull your blade you can not split hairs which is after all our mission here, I think.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    Botch said:

And...if you dull your blade you can not split hairs which is after all our mission here, I think.
    Truth.

I just sharpened a bunch of knives so I'm going to be a little more careful with the hair splitting, at least for a little while.
    Now if you sharpen and can split a "RCH" then you have truly refined the art.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch

I don't see it so much anymore, but in the early days of cooking shows, and in cookbooks, they're recommend chopping garlic, sprinkling it with salt, and then dragging the sharp edge of the knife over the mass to really pulverize it (the garlic). Dumb!! 

Okay, my original quote at top, Nola's reply in bold. My brilliant retort (peppered with my rapier-like wit) follows:

Wrong! The demos I remember seeing scraped across the garlic/salt pile, with the blade relatively (even fully) parallel to the cutting surface. That's fine, until the edge of the knife reaches the end of the pile. The edge finally reaches the final salt crystals, and fall off the edge of the crystals (this would be so much easier to draw, or even wave my hands, than to describe verbally).

Think about a pingpong ball on top of a table, and then placing a book on it, flat, and rolling it around; eventually the edge of the book slips off the ball. Now think of the edge of the book as your knife's edge, and the pingpong ball as a salt crystal, roughly 50-grit, and MUCH harder than your steel, and I hope this paints the picture.

Tomorrow I'll try to post a pic of what I'm thinking; right now, it's bedtime, I caught that virus going around and have been coughing my head off.

• nolaegghead

i was talking about pickin stuff off the board or moving it around on the board. Generically. Probably shouldn't have quoted you. Your garlic move totally Fs knife edges

If you need a pic of balls on a table I have both.

• Botch

HA!

I typed "garlic paste salt knife" into EweTube, and the very first video shows exactly what makes me cringe:

It's essentially like dragging the sharp edge of your knife across a 50-grit sanding block.

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited March 2019

So now I got to cut a big hole in my new board builds? Going to make them even more expensive!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

Y’all are way too up tight. My German knives pick up chopped/minced food as do my Japanese knives. Sharpening exists for a reason..

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607

JFC Brent, I actually agree with you.

• Legume

But full disclosure, I have shi tty kitchen knives and cut my prime rib with a pocket knife.

• bgebrent

Never scrape your pocket knife across your cutting board!

• Legume

It’s ok, I only buy glass cutting boards because of all of the germs that hide in the little cut spaces.

• bgebrent

My glass cutting boards are my favorite.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617

@lousubcap lol. We may be among experts

Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

I'm with Brent on this one. I'm performing these tasks on a cutting board not my front sidewalk. The knives will be OK.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch

@littlerascal56 said:

So now I got to cut a big hole in my new board builds? Going to make them even more expensive!

You can't cut the hole inside your "moat", or the grease will run onto the counter. You'll have to extend the wood on one end, outside the moat, and cut the hole there. Of course, you'll also have to install a small drawbridge across the moat to scrape your onions across.

Better Tools Through Science! 😃