Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Betel leaf wrapped bison balls...

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
More fully, Cambodian-style bison meatballs wrapped in betel leaf. 

Picked up "The Slanted Door: Modern Vietnamese Food" cookbook by Charles Phan from the library a couple of weeks ago. Some interesting recipes, but one in particular caught my eye, since I've never known of betel leaves used for cooking. Betel leaves are a sort of mouth freshener in South Asia and other parts, and since the leaves are available at my local Indian store, I figured this was doable.

Started with some fried rice on the blackstone  - ginger, black garlic, onion, veg, sesame oil, egg, a little Slap Ya Mama, and a little DP Tsunami Spin. 

The Cambodian bison meatball mix was discovered while freezer diving last week, so that made things easier :) Wrapped the meat in the betel leaves and grilled direct at 400°F.

Plated shot with anchovy pineapple dipping sauce and steamed broccolini. The grilled betel leaves had a woodsy, peppery aroma that complemented the meat well. A spoonful of meat and rice, with a dab of the sauce made for a perfect little morsel. And yes, I could have composed a better shot, but these weren't particularly photogenic. 

The weather was gorgeous today, too. I feel like I'm winning :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Great post and cook.. Love your plated pic.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    very cool
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Nicely done sir! 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    @caliking That is one mighty fine meal and gorgeous plate up.  If you've tried perilla leaves before, how would you compare the taste to these betel leaves?
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • caliking
    Thanks for the kind words. It was something different, and fun as well. 

@smokingal - I haven't tried perilla leaves, but after reading a bit about them, they sound like they would do well in a cook like this.

We have a few Korean supermarkets here (99 Ranch, H-mart) and a huge Asian part of town, so I bet they have them. I'll keep an eye out for them the next time we are shopping there.

Thanks for the tip!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Outstanding Caliking!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    What a great idea! Maybe I'll try stuffed grape leaves in the egg!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great job!  I have to say, when I saw the title, I was happy to see you post that and not @SGH.  Would've been a completely different thread.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    zahulio said:
    What a great idea! Maybe I'll try stuffed grape leaves in the egg!
    Those should be great, as well.

I can't take credit for the idea., though. This is a Vietnamese dish - bo la lot. I forgot to include that in the title, and was too late to edit it when I remembered. 

• caliking
    thetrim said:
    Great job!  I have to say, when I saw the title, I was happy to see you post that and not @SGH.  Would've been a completely different thread.
    I figured some would be thinking that :smiley:

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Super cool. Looks amazing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    See...even the swirl in the sauce bowl...over the TOP!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I’m going to be a little honest here, I was somewhat disappointed that the title deceived me. However, it’s still a spectacular cook nonetheless. Just wish that it would of been bison testicles =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    SGH said:
    I’m going to be a little honest here, I was somewhat disappointed that the title deceived me. However, it’s still a spectacular cook nonetheless. Just wish that it would of been bison testicles =)
    I knew I would be disappointing a few with the title. 

• caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    See...even the swirl in the sauce bowl...over the TOP!
    You’re too kind, Darian :)

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    That looks amazing, I commend your creativity sir 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.