Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first crawfish boil of 2019

124»

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I was absolutely loving this thread until the latest news. Congrats on the wonderful party and best of luck with the really important stuff.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Thoughts and prayers to you and your family NOLA. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thanks, y'all.

In a nutshell, had a great crawfish boil on Sat.  Sunday we all got up late and I said I had some breakfast steaks and stuff to cook up, but I was dragging.  My brother, SIL and niece decided to go out to the French Quarter/CBD area and hit a restaurant for brunch.

The went to Luke ( https://www.lukeneworleans.com/ ). 

My SIL, Jen, had a seizure there, my brother caught her as she was falling to the ground and injured his knee (can't put weight on it). 

There was a doctor eating there as a customer, he checked her out.  She was groggy but could move all extremities, eyes responsive, could remember her name.  Said she had some kind of seizure, had a name for it.

Ambulance came, they decided to take her to Tulane Medical Center's ER.

At the ER, they gave her a CT Scan, found something in/on her brain.  Decided to do an MRI.  She had another seizure about an hour after the first before the MRI. 

Weird thing on scan - they consulted a neurologist, said it looked like a meningioma and they said it really needs to come out and they were ready to schedule surgery.

The tumor was probably not cancerous based on the imagery, but was 3 cm in diameter and must go.

SWMBO asked them to see if she could travel, this kind of invasive surgery would be more manageable from a logistics standpoint if they could do it where they lived, in San Antonio.
    Thoughts and prayers to the whole family.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Best wishes and good vibes to your SIL and entire family.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Sorry to hear man.  Sending good vibes your way.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    So sorry to hear Nola.  Hang in there.  
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Prayers to Your SIL You and Your Family 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Best wishes and prayers brother
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Boy....life can sure change quickly. All the best Carey and family with this journey.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    All the best for your SIL Nola (and brother's knee).  Thoughts and prayers sent from Memphis.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    SIL was fortunate to have this happen close to good medical care. Happy vibes and thoughts sent her (and your) way, for her surgery and recovery.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @nolaegghead
    Im certainly sorry to hear about your SIL. Hope all goes well my friend. 
    On a separate note, the grub looks excellent. More especially those oysters👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    I worked from home in the morning, made everyone a big breakfast of Gordon Ramsay style scrambled eggs, thick sliced bacon and toast, then dropped them off at the airport on my way to the laboratory, where I am working on the vascular latticework for artificial meats.
    Artificial meats huh?  I thought Arby’s already had the patent on that.  =)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    If I may ask Carey, how much to you pay/lb of bugs in LA?
    Reason I ask, we just had a new Cajun/Seafood restaurant open south of the base, and I tried it for lunch today.  They had a blackboard with current fresh prices, and "Live 'bugs" were $14.99/lb (I'm sure they're cheeper in LA, just wondering how much)
    The restaurant?  Looked to me like a first effort.  Large, lots of white tablecloths, which were very cheep plastic and clung to everything.  Weird décor.  Got the "Gumbo and Half-Sammich" special for less than $10, the seafood gumbo was great, lotsa okra, shrimp, oyster and crab but the 1/2 crawdad po'-boy had a weird sauce on it (good bugs and bread, though).  Everything came out in plastic, the soup bowl and plasticware included.  Tasty and a lot of food for the price, but I don't expect them to be here long... :( 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Botch said:
    If I may ask Carey, how much to you pay/lb of bugs in LA?
    Reason I ask, we just had a new Cajun/Seafood restaurant open south of the base, and I tried it for lunch today.  They had a blackboard with current fresh prices, and "Live 'bugs" were $14.99/lb (I'm sure they're cheeper in LA, just wondering how much)
    The restaurant?  Looked to me like a first effort.  Large, lots of white tablecloths, which were very cheep plastic and clung to everything.  Weird décor.  Got the "Gumbo and Half-Sammich" special for less than $10, the seafood gumbo was great, lotsa okra, shrimp, oyster and crab but the 1/2 crawdad po'-boy had a weird sauce on it (good bugs and bread, though).  Everything came out in plastic, the soup bowl and plasticware included.  Tasty and a lot of food for the price, but I don't expect them to be here long... :( 
    Damn, $15 a pound for uncooked. How much by the pound for cooked?
    Around here, about $3.50 for live and $7 for nice cooked per pound.
    location is everything...I would rather have cheap fresh salmon than mud bugs.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    @Botch I paid around $3.10.  Got them directly from a wholesaler that works with one farm and the quality is excellent.   He supplies 20,000 pounds in one day to the boil competition I do.

Prices are ranging around $3 - 4 for live right now.  Because Lent, and the bugs don't come out and get trapped unless it's a sunny.  Plus temp, etc.

After Easter, the prices will drop below $2. 
    Thanks guys.  That was actually a bit larger difference than I was expecting.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Wow!  Just incredible!  
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited March 2019
    My buddy JD came from Louisiana, and works in Kansas City now.  He does a yearly “boil” for friends and customers.  It’s a fairly large Utility crowd, and it’s in May.  He still has family and connections down south, so he normally pays $1.50/lb after Easter.  Might make the trip this spring to check it out.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Holy hell that looks incredible!

LBGE/Maryland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    Hang in there brother Nola, I am glad you all were there to help. We are thinking good thoughts about you guys 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    edited March 2019
    Hang in there brother Nola, I am glad you all were there to help. We are thinking good thoughts about you guys 
    They forgot the medical records so I took pics of all the paper documents and burned the MRI and CT image disk to an ISO image and sent via Google Drive, then FedEx'd everything to them.  argh.
    You da man. Family.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Hopefully the Dr's can get her back on the mend, good of you to help out. :)