Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Grocery Budget OT

Options
 We have been on a monthly budget for about 8 months simply because if we don't budget the end of the month rolls around and all the money is gone, I think this can be true no matter how much $ you make.

All in for the two of us, groceries, beer, spirits, total budget is $450. This does not include eating out which is capped at $250.  We actually enjoy budgeting, it can be a challenge, like a game where you are rewarded with real $$!

After seeing a bunch of posts on here with fancy groceries and shopping carts filled with bourbon I was curious if any of you track your monthly grocery bills or cared to share. 
 This will give me ammo for the monthly budget meeting if I blow it!  FYI charcoal goes into household.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    We spend about 350 a month on groceries, 100 eating out and 75 or so on booze. 

Just me, wife, and the 5 year old kiddo

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    My family of 4 (2 adults 2 kids under 10) we budget for all food around $1,000 a month. We eat well and we don’t drink any alcohol. We could cut it another $100 or $200 if we had to.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Just checked my AMEX.

Last month we spent $971 at Twin Liquors and $666 at HEB (grocery).

Make of that what you will.
    Sounds like you like good booze. I hear Costco has some good deals.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• CanadianAnvil
    CanadianAnvil Posts: 226
    edited March 2019
    Options
    We run $125 to $175 per week  here with my wife and I  plus 3 kids ages 7,5 and 3. 
    This includes  household cleaners and other things like pull ups and wipes for the the youngest  one at night...... but this doesn't include very much meat  and  what it does include  is only chicken  or fish as beef we target sales for things  we like and vacuum  seal,  pork is home butchered.

And food in canada  is more money  than the  usa
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Funny, I have just recently been keeping track. I spend about 150-200 weekly on food alone. Theres only 3 of us and we dont eat anything fancy during the week, i dont even eat lunch. If i head to camp for the weekend that adds another $150-200. Ive been trying but i dont think i can cut any back. This is canadian as well
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We don't budget. We used to have to budget, now we don't have to, we don't bother.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Just left Aldi. Stopping at Wally World for some spices, and than Sams Club for a couple pork butts. I'll probably even stop for a slice of pizza when leaving. I'm a cheap a$$ most of the time. I'm perfectly fine with off brand labels and average cooks. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looking back over the last 6 months run about 750-1200/month on groceries and another 150-200 eating out. Family of 5 but the bigger months were November and December.  The Costco trips are killer :)
    Greensboro, NC
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Just checked my AMEX.

....or a lot of bad booze.  ;)
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Just checked my AMEX.

....or a lot of bad booze.  ;)
    Yeah, no.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Just two of us and we don't have a grocery budget, but here's a monthly average
    Butcher $200, grocery store $300, alcohol varies greatly $100-400, eating out is rare $50

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    What are these "budgets" you speak of?  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    sounds like we are in line, $450 sure does not seem to go very far. Some of you are apparently way more thrifty!
     @Eoin we don't have to budget either, we are dinks with 0 debt.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No comment. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Ya we don’t all have tenure John  =)

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    We hit Aldi's and HT ever other week.  We try to buy sale items and it runs around 250-300 bi-weekly.  Now that doesn't cover the times during the week when I run to food lion for baking potatoes or tomatoes, onions, salad stuff and the like.  I/we cook one day and eat the leftovers the next.  Thursday is date night and anytime we can go out to lunch we do. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't want to know what we spend.

But we rarely eat out.

Crawfish boil last Sat cost me $400 for crawfish and another 300 on spices, veggies drinks, etc.

After easter the crawfish prices will be almost half of what they are and that's when I do it more frequently. 
    Options
    I’m afraid to keep track anymore, the ends meet and we eat. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    It is just me and the dog so I don’t keep track. The Egg fodder is usually the daily special at Rouses unless I am cooking for friends and family. I took Dad for a follow up eye doctor appt then Mom grocery shopping. She wanted a beef roast for the crockpot but I pointed out that the whole pork loin was on sale and they would divide and repack it for us. I grew the Jewel sweet potatoes last summer. Eating out is my budget killer but my booze budget is next to nothing.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited March 2019
    Options
     We have been on a monthly budget for about 8 months simply because if we don't budget the end of the month rolls around and all the money is gone, I think this can be true no matter how much $ you make.

All in for the two of us, groceries, beer, spirits, total budget is $450. This does not include eating out which is capped at $250.  We actually enjoy budgeting, it can be a challenge, like a game where you are rewarded with real $$!

After seeing a bunch of posts on here with fancy groceries and shopping carts filled with bourbon I was curious if any of you track your monthly grocery bills or cared to share. 
     This will give me ammo for the monthly budget meeting if I blow it!  FYI charcoal goes into household.

This is the closest I’ve ever come to flagging a post - I don’t want to even think about it  :o:o
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Tenure doesn’t make you wealthy, you half-wit.  All it does is let you tell students that if they can’t handle the calculus in engineering, they can always switch to accounting.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited March 2019
    Options

Tenure doesn’t make you wealthy, you half-wit.  All it does is let you tell students that if they can’t handle the calculus in engineering, they can always switch to accounting.  
    And make about $175k while your doing it.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

And make about $175k while your doing it.
    That’s the funny thing about money, make as much as you can, it still won’t make you any smarter.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

This is the closest I’ve ever come to flagging a post - I don’t want to even think about it  :o:o
    Ya pretty much everybody probably spends way more than they realize. Once I started actually tracking it I was shocked. We used to spend more.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Household of One here.  I've never budgeted, but my once-a-decade meeting with my Fidelity Investments counselor, and retirement coming up soon, has me thinking about things.  
    I eat at the local ethnic restaurants for lunch on workdays, cook my own breakfasts, and don't eat in the evenings.  Splurge on some ribs, or a brisket, on occasion, and eat leftovers until I'm sick of them.  
    I'll be okay in retirement, although no Ferraris or French chalets.  

If I could just keep from breaking my damn teeth, at >$3,000 a pop!  :anguished:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Botch said:
    Household of One here.  I've never budgeted, but my once-a-decade meeting with my Fidelity Investments counselor, and retirement coming up soon, has me thinking about things.  
    I eat at the local ethnic restaurants for lunch on workdays, cook my own breakfasts, and don't eat in the evenings.  Splurge on some ribs, or a brisket, on occasion, and eat leftovers until I'm sick of them.  
    I'll be okay in retirement, although no Ferraris or French chalets.  

If I could just keep from breaking my damn teeth, at >$3,000 a pop!  :anguished:
    The dentist is charging me 4 K for one lower molar implant.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Gulfcoastguy said:
    The dentist is charging me 4 K for one lower molar implant.
    :facepalm:  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...