Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paternity Leave Pulled Pork

ARoehr11
ARoehr11 Posts: 41
Decided while I'm off on paternity leave I might as well be doing some long over night smokes while I'm sitting up all night with the newborn.  Watched some Aaron Franklin videos and while he didn't do any pulled pork in the videos that I saw he mentioned multiple times that good meat doesn't need anything more than salt and pepper so I decided to do this pork with just salt and pepper.  Used yellow mustard to get em to stick. Its 10:45 local time now and the pork is seasoned and waiting in the fridge.  Going to post pics of the cook through out the night to help keep myself awake. 

-1 XL BGE
-1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
-1 Traeger Scout 
-cast iron grate and pans
-pizza stone
-XL Adjustable Rig 2 Grid Combo from Ceramic Grill Store
-A-MAZE-N smoker pellet tray
-Teken Wireless 4 Probe Thermometer

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Man, just seeing that drying “acreage” makes me feel for you. Babies are fun. Just not when ya gotta wash all them bottle parts!
  • ARoehr11
    @colbylang haha, yea lots of cleaning bottles and diapers and not a lot of sleep! At least I have my egg to keep me busy through these long nights
    -1 XL BGE
    -1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
    -1 Traeger Scout 
    -pizza stone
  • ARoehr11
    4:30, time to put the pork butt on

-1 XL BGE
    -1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
    -1 Traeger Scout 
    -pizza stone
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Looks like a good one..:: enjoy 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ColbyLang said:
    Man, just seeing that drying “acreage” makes me feel for you. Babies are fun. Just not when ya gotta wash all them bottle parts!
    Congrats on the new one @ARoehr11. And @ColbyLang if that stupid green thing is the acerage thing I second. I trashed that thing after kid #2. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    ColbyLang said:
    Congrats on the new one @ARoehr11. And @ColbyLang if that stupid green thing is the acerage thing I second. I trashed that thing after kid #2. 
    Indeed it is. My buddy came over after my son was born. Told me he bought me an acre as a baby gift. Bastard. Ended up with two acres by the time it was all said and done
  • ARoehr11
    11 am update.  got the meat up to 180 after about 7 hours, wrapped in peach paper and put back on.

-1 XL BGE
    -1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
    -1 Traeger Scout 
    -pizza stone
  • nothing like getting little ones the smell of smoke!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Nice work!  My egg was used a lot during the first couple weeks after my kids were born.  

Do yourself a favor and save some paternity time for later in the year if you can.  My company gives me 3 weeks automatically and encourages taking an additional 4 weeks using state benefits but I only took 2 weeks off for each kid after birth and was ready to go back after that.  That gave me 5 more weeks which was subsidized with my vacation/sick time and state EDD but I had the use it all in the first year after birth.

People may say say paternity leave is weak but I pay into the system so I’ll take my turn at using for what it’s there for.   
  • ARoehr11
    final product was delicious.  made some bbq sauce too

-1 XL BGE
    -1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
    -1 Traeger Scout 
    -pizza stone
  • Cornholio said:
    Nice work!  My egg was used a lot during the first couple weeks after my kids were born.  

Do yourself a favor and save some paternity time for later in the year if you can.  My company gives me 3 weeks automatically and encourages taking an additional 4 weeks using state benefits but I only took 2 weeks off for each kid after birth and was ready to go back after that.  That gave me 5 more weeks which was subsidized with my vacation/sick time and state EDD but I had the use it all in the first year after birth.

People may say say paternity leave is weak but I pay into the system so I’ll take my turn at using for what it’s there for.   
    Man, you guys have it tough. Not trying to rub it in, but I understand that parental leave is fairly restrictive in the U.S., at least relative to Canada. Between my wife and I, we get 12 months, with the mother having to take at least four of those. For my portion (up to 8 months), I make 95% of my salary. The province in which I reside also gives me another 5 weeks, albeit at only 70% of my salary.
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Killer looking Pulled Pork and congrats on the little one! 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited March 2019
    Cornholio said:

Man, you guys have it tough. Not trying to rub it in, but I understand that parental leave is fairly restrictive in the U.S., at least relative to Canada. Between my wife and I, we get 12 months, with the mother having to take at least four of those. For my portion (up to 8 months), I make 95% of my salary. The province in which I reside also gives me another 5 weeks, albeit at only 70% of my salary.
    My company offering 7 weeks off is on the very high end of the spectrum for father parental leave here in the US so I agree with you.  I feel lucky compared to others here.  Luckily I also get 5 weeks paid vacation and 10 sick days per year.  I work for a private company too, most people don’t get nearly that in the private sector.