Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

do you smash your burgers?

do you smash your burgers fairly flat or do you cook thick burgers?

I am going to be cooking burgers soon for about 12 people. I have never smashed before, I always make big thick fat burgers. No reason other than it is just how I have done it. So I am looking to improve. I figure with smashing they'll cook faster.

If you do smash I assume you pre-smash before grilling? I saw one article where they put the patty meat between saran wrap and use a pan to smash. that seems to make sense, plus I can have them all smashed before hand

I will also be making these on the grill and not a griddle (unless a griddle is just that much better. I have one I use a few times a year for pancakes)

so: smash or no?
Boom

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I prefer 3 ounce balls smashed on the Blackstone (or equivalent) 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    I typically use 4oz balls. Sometimes 3oz.

I put them as a ball onto the hot griddle, let sit for 20-30 seconds, roll over and smash. I found by getting a little char on one side I seldom have any sticking to my spatula. Perhaps there is an easier way, but this works for me.

I try to smash them as quickly and thin as possible, season, and flip to a different section of the grill (not cooled off by meat=better sear).

EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    only went to smashing with the blackstone and its on a screaming hot DRY griddle surface smashing on the griddle. on a grill a thicker burger making sure to dimple the middle so its not shaped like a football after being cooked. either way, cheese goes under the burger as it comes off the grill and onto the bunn=)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2019
    I grill mine in a thick / plump form fashion....as I enjoy a nice mid rare burger.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2019
    I wouldn't suggest doing Smash Burgers for a group of people until you're comfortable with the process. 

Whether smashing is an improvement, it's not, it's just a different end result. Smash Burgers will be more like a really good fast food-style burger. 

Here's everything you need to know...

Article
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

Recipe
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited March 2019
    Smash our fav no doubt . . But 100% need griddle.  I am not sure it’s good for a crowd since a smashed burger takes up so much surface area.  Do you want everyone to eat at once?  If so I’d go thick normal burgers as you can cook all or majority at one time rather that batch by batch by batch.

Also do you have a large cast iron piece to use?  I use this big round one, and can smash 4 at a time (but I always do two pattys per burger).  If you only have normal cast iron skillet, you prob can only fit (2) balls at a time - not worth effort for crowd.

Look up the “serious eats” instructions for how & when to smash - maybe try it on your own before a group to test?

EDIT @SonVolt nailed it, see his response above, even has serious eats link I referenced.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    thanks everyone

sounds like I need to make some burgers this weekend for a test run
    Boom
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I buy gourmet burgers at my butcher and grill them on grill grates for 8 minutes at 400 dome. Best burgers I have ever had. I went to a Smashburger once and did not care for it.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited March 2019
    For me (don't have a Blackstone) it's not worth the effort.  I prefer the traditional "thick" burger.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SonVolt
    As stated above, you absolutely need a big-ass scorching hot FLAT griddle with minimal sides*. A cast iron skillet, even a big 17-incher is going to be frustrating unless you're only doing a few burgers.

Smashing takes up mores cooking space than you think...

You gotta have plenty of room to get in there with a stiff (steel) spatula to flip...

*The sides of a skillet can get in the way of smashing/flipping... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    My suggestion would be doubling up the beef patties for the guys in the group. One small smashed up patty doesn't go very far. With that being said, it's always nice to have an extra set of hands. One person smashing/seasoning and the other person flipping behind you. Works slick for big groups. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    something organized i would go with the big burger with great toppings. unorganized or last minute smashed, looking at cheese, ketchup, some jalepino spread, smashed.  smashed is for when i get off the boat after 8 hours, from lighting the blackstone to eating is 3 minutes. smashed is about crunchy exterior with the juice running out, its 3/4 exterior crust to 1/4 center juiciness/ grease
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Given the size of group and the real estate required for smashburgers, I’d just cook regular burgers and call it a day. 
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    I have been tempted to pick up a Kettle Q for smash burgers. https://tinyurl.com/yyvlk8p7 

Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Anyone else notice that a 1/4-lb burger sounds so much more substantial than a 4-oz burger?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Given the size of group and the real estate required for smashburgers, I’d just cook regular burgers and call it a day. 
    Good point.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Botch said:
    Anyone else notice that a 1/4-lb burger sounds so much more substantial than a 4-oz burger?  
    i make 2 ounce smash burgers =) 4 ounce would be huge.  i like them almost all crust
    fukahwee maine

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Slippy said:
    I have been tempted to pick up a Kettle Q for smash burgers. https://tinyurl.com/yyvlk8p7 

I have one, it works well, although it's not great for crowds or large batches of things.  You also need to pay attention to how much fat is getting thrown off too, that trough isn't huge.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 41
    The idea is to maximise contact with the cooking surface and so you really need to smash on the surface.  Personally I think very high temp smash burgers, stacked if needs be, is better than a traditional thick burger but they take more effort if done in volume so at a minimum practice 
    London, UK

New LBGE Owner
  • SonVolt
    Slippy said:

I think a 14" Lodge Pizza "stone" would work better than that flimsy thing. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Slippy said:

I found this a couple year back at TJ Maxx for $20.  Fits perfectly in a large.
    https://shop.lodgemfg.com/griddles-and-grill-pans/double-play-reversible-grill-griddle.asp
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    @FanOfFanboys, I imagine you have the idea, now, but just in case, your original post treated smash burgers as thinner, and cooking faster, and wondered about "smashing" before grilling.  Nope.  If you form a thin patty first, and then grill it over an open fire, or even fry it in a skillet, it's not a smash burger.  The whole point of smash burgers is that by putting a ball of meat on a very hot metal surface and then smashing it down onto the hot metal till it's flat and thin, you are forcing more of the meat to stick onto the metal and get brown.  It increases the amount of meat surface that gets really brown compared to otherwise similar burgers that didn't get smashed down onto a very hot metal surface.  Especially if you put two in a bun, as others above said they do, you wind up with TONS of browned meat flavor, because (a) they're smashed down onto the hot griddle and (b) you have 4 surfaces rather than just 2.

I like smash burgers, probably make them more often than regular burgers, but they're not my favorite.  My favorite is a thick burger seared briefly over a very hot direct fire, not on cast iron or any kind of griddle or skillet, and very pink inside.  That's dangerous to do with regular store bought ground meat because of scary bacteria that are around, these days.  But if you grind your own beef, it's less dangerous.  For me, those are way better than smash burgers because it's more like a steak -- you get both the seared beef flavor from the outside and the medium-rare beef flavor from the inside, and they are super juicy.

I agree with some others above, if the meal will be soon, I'd make the burgers the way you have been, and experiment with smash burgers when you're not cooking for guests.

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Slippy said:

I found this a couple year back at TJ Maxx for $20.  Fits perfectly in a large.
    https://shop.lodgemfg.com/griddles-and-grill-pans/double-play-reversible-grill-griddle.asp
    I have considered that as well. 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Smash vs grill is 50 / 50 for me - love both methods.

Smash is a very quick cook. I'd say too quick if you haven't practiced first.  Everything (toppings, buns, plates) needs to be ready before you even put the meat on. 

Phoenix 
  • SonVolt
    blasting said:

Smash vs grill is 50 / 50 for me - love both methods.

Smash is a very quick cook. I'd say too quick if you haven't practiced first.  Everything (toppings, buns, plates) needs to be ready before you even put the meat on. 

Yep! Even tho it's quicker I find it more stressful b/c of the pre-prep that needs to be done. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    I cook both, some like smash, some don't.  Smash on the Mini Max while regular cooking on the Large.  Always with meat I grind at home.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    If you have the 36 or 28 inch blackstone then smash away.... but if just a large egg or the like, I’d go traditional. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Shurdaddy
    Shurdaddy Posts: 25
    Since buying a Blackstone, I have not thrown a burger on my Egg. 
    Lewiston, MN  LBGE
  • fishlessman
    not sure how the prep is more for smash burgers other than rolling it into little balls which i do friday night before the weekend, for me its light the blackstone, two trips to the kitchen, smash and flip the burger, put cheese on lower bunn and add burger, serve. maybe a prep cook is needed to slice the tomato =)  im eating in four minutes, the burgers are cooked from lighting the griddle til done, 3 minutes.  with egged burgers theres 45 minutes from light the grill, then theres descisions, sauted onions, guacamole, mushrooms and swiss, heat up some leftover chili.....
    fukahwee maine