Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

do you smash your burgers?

Options
2»

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:
    I have been tempted to pick up a Kettle Q for smash burgers. https://tinyurl.com/yyvlk8p7 

I found this a couple year back at TJ Maxx for $20.  Fits perfectly in a large.
    https://shop.lodgemfg.com/griddles-and-grill-pans/double-play-reversible-grill-griddle.asp
    I have considered that as well. 
    It works fine for doing a few smash burgers, but I use it more for blackening fish.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    not sure how the prep is more for smash burgers other than rolling it into little balls which i do friday night before the weekend, 

I'm just more finicky in how I prep for my smash burgers than I am for my thick bugers. For smash, I have to the make the required "big mac" sauce before hand, thinly shred the lettuce and and onions... have the buns toasted and laid out where I can drop the patties on as soon as they come off the griddle.  For thick burgers I just grill them and set them on a tray... then people grab their own buns and condiments. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    not sure how the prep is more for smash burgers other than rolling it into little balls which i do friday night before the weekend, 

I'm just more finicky in how I prep for my smash burgers than I am for my thick bugers. For smash, I have to the make the required "big mac" sauce before hand, thinly shred the lettuce and and onions... have the buns toasted and laid out where I can drop the patties on as soon as they come off the griddle.  For thick burgers I just grill them and set them on a tray... then people grab their own buns and condiments. 
    i cant eat lettuce so the bigmac wouldnt cross my mind, going just for the cheese burger, so smash burger, drop buns on side, flip burger, remove lower bunn, add cheese, remove burger and slip hot side down on cheese, add second burger, add top bunn. condiments on table
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SonVolt said:

i cant eat lettuce so the bigmac wouldnt cross my mind, going just for the cheese burger, so smash burger, drop buns on side, flip burger, remove lower bunn, add cheese, remove burger and slip hot side down on cheese, add second burger, add top bunn. condiments on table
    I agree, for me a smashburger is pretty minimal - meat, cheese, bun, and done.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    SonVolt said:

@SonVolt you and I are the same exact here !! 

Another reason we moved to SMASH BURGERS, lost taste for any "pink" in a burger.  Just consider all that surface area . . you really trust your beef source that much?   If you buy quality beef & grind fresh at home, pink is ok.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Not to start a war or anything, but unseasoned pink ground beef is really bland. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Not to start a war or anything, but unseasoned pink ground beef is really bland. 
    It is good off blackstone if you get the right crust..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I did smash burgers for 40 people once.  Not too bad with a helper on the large Blackstone.

I prefer thicker burgers on the rare side made with meat I select and grind.  Rare factory ground meat is a recipe for a frequent dose of Angry Birds on the throne the next day.
    blasting said:

Smash vs grill is 50 / 50 for me - love both methods.

Smash is a very quick cook. I'd say too quick if you haven't practiced first.  Everything (toppings, buns, plates) needs to be ready before you even put the meat on. 

I agree with this.  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We've been stuck on smash burgers since I got the blackstone. I do love a thick burger though so maybe it's about time to revisit. I wouldn't smash for a crowd. Too much work. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    We've been stuck on smash burgers since I got the blackstone. I do love a thick burger though so maybe it's about time to revisit. I wouldn't smash for a crowd. Too much work. 
    Speaking of Blackstone... Are those meant to stay outside, exposed to the elements? or do you have to lug it in and out of storage? 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    JFC.  Smash burgers are a specific type of burger.  Alter forming your favored mixture into a BALL, you sear one edge for 60-90s before smashing the meat.  Then you flip it for 90s and serve.  You can do this on any cooker.  I use a blackstone.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,661
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    JFC.  Smash burgers are a specific type of burger.  Alter forming your favored mixture into a BALL, you sear one edge for 60-90s before smashing the meat.  Then you flip it for 90s and serve.  You can do this on any cooker.  I use a blackstone.
    So at what point do you smash?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    So at what point do you smash?
    After your smashed.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Slippy, please let us know your method that must be superior since you disagree.
  • Slippy
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @Slippy, please let us know your method that must be superior since you disagree.
    I don’t disagree, I just wanted to know if the Blackstine is meant to stay outdoors. 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Slippy said:
    bgebrent said:
    I don’t disagree, I just wanted to know if the Blackstine is meant to stay outdoors. 
    Then why did you disagree?  The blackstone is an outdoor cooker and built to tolerate being outdoors.
    So you can remove your disagree
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Slippy said:
    bgebrent said:
    Then why did you disagree?  The blackstone is an outdoor cooker and built to tolerate being outdoors.
    Twas probably just a slip of the thumb - it happens, and they probably didn't even notice.
    Just like I'm sure your "disagree" was just a slip of the thumb and you didn't even notice. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Slippy
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Slippy said:
    bgebrent said:
    Obviously it was an accident. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Slippy said:
    bgebrent said:
    Slippy said:
    bgebrent said:
    I seem to get frequent "disagrees" from people that aren't even active posters. I have one in this thread. Just a by-product of scrolling on their phone.... I've done it too. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nicole doesn't like seeing the "disagree" button engaged.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Slippy said:
    bgebrent said:
    Slippy said:
    bgebrent said:
    I seem to get frequent "disagrees" from people that aren't even active posters. I have one in this thread. Just a by-product of scrolling on their phone.... I've done it too. 
    You're all azzholes... :) 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    hahaha