Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roll

Options
Tak
Tak Posts: 145
Hi guys....going to Restaurant Depot to pick up Chuck Roll that is on sale....has anyone cooked with it or cut it up?....trying to get some ideas on how to use it....thanks!!!!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I do them all the time...20- 30 pounders makes great pulled beef....Inject with beef broth butter and seasonings...i typically rub with SPG or Montreol Steak ...225 dome , wrap 160 to 170 remove around 200..i do put it in a pan after I wrap, there is a ton of juice in there ...only trimming I do is silverskin here is 300 pounds I did a while back

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Tak
    Options
    wow....looks great!!!....is it not worth breaking it down for some steaks and roasts?.....

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Tak said:
    wow....looks great!!!....is it not worth breaking it down for some steaks and roasts?.....

You certainly can, and save some coin anytime you break down your own primal you save ....I do a lot of cooks for groups and this is ideal for me--I can serve 60 with 1 and do it on a large
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Tak
    Options
    Great!!....thanks for the info....gonna give it a try and see how it works out....thanks for the info!!!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    One of my favorite cuts.  I generally cutout the Chuck Eye portion (There are a lot of videos on Youtube to help you) for use as steaks or a roast and then cut the rest roughly in half.  I generally freeze one of the halves and cook the other like a brisket.  Around here, you can get them at Costco (have to ask the meat people for them) or BJs.  I've also bought them at Restaurant Depot.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA