Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How hot is too hot....

Options
So doing lots of pork butt and pork belly lately I've needed to burn off more than usual.  I typically just open the bottom hatch all the way and leave everything off the top and let her rip until she burns out. Sadly I've had a cracked fire ring AND a cracked conveggtor as well.  Last burn I removed the conveggtor but I'd rather leave it in to clean also.  I'm thinking it got TOO hot? Is that a thing? What leads to cracked internals? How do you guys do it?

PS I run two XL eggs, and during the burn see about 1000 degrees or hotter sometimes... 

Open to your thoughts, especially XL owners 
Dallas Texas.
2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I've never topped 750* on my eggs. My "clean" burns are in the 600* range... And those were when doing pizza 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I would not do that. 700F will ignite all of the lump and you’ll burn everything off. No need to run the egg over 1000F. Casting imperfections, trapped moisture and application of high heat is generally the culpit. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I’ve seen a lot of busted XLs on here...they same to have a tendency to crack so I would discourage going nuclear. 

I’ve personally run Larges hotter than Salma Hayek in Desperado. Work it if ya got it  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    600° for a couple of hrs will cure you blues.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I don't know anything about clean burns. I've never needed to do one.
    I would suggest, if you aren't using one already, use a drip pan under the pork butts. This will go a long way to reducing the need to do a clean burn.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I've sent my large more than nuclear several times. No problems. None. Other than the gasket, that problem our brother @RRP can help you with. I can't attest to the XL.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    dharley said:
    I've sent my large more than nuclear several times. No problems. None. Other than the gasket, that problem our brother @RRP can help you with. I can't attest to the XL.
    Ovens self clean at 550° why go crazy ?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    dharley said:
    Yep.  Celcius. 
    Options
    Well, 500 Celcius.   (looks it up)
    edited March 2019
    Options
    600-700 seems to be the sweet spot for clean burns.  I have gone 1200, but that was when I was given a couple smokeware thermos to try.

I have hit 1000+ on both my XL and medium.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TexasisBestest
    Options
    It's good to hear the perspective of you guys. It sounds like I've just been letting it go a little too crazy for no reason. I've always worried about the super high heat. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    dharley said:
    Ovens usually have a maximum baking temp of 550*F. But they take the t-stat system out of the equation for self clean and most go above 900*f for the bulk of the clean cycle.

My Egg(Large) cleans fine at 650-700*f for three hous or so. I see no need to go hotter.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    It's good to hear the perspective of you guys. It sounds like I've just been letting it go a little too crazy for no reason. I've always worried about the super high heat. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    Most of us have gone nuclear with the temps a lot of times by accident. It’s like running your car past the red line. You might not blow it up this time, but it’s coming. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    Salma Hayek's husband.  I already checked, he is worth $30billion.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Salma Hayek's husband.  I already checked, he is worth $30billion.

Amazing how that works isn’t it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I’ve personally run Larges hotter than Salma Hayek in Desperado. 
    I know we all have different preferences, but I thought she was her hottest here. 

Perfection personified. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Never mind she is a vampire in that picture...
    Options
    Never mind she is a vampire in that picture...
    Best looking vampire I’ve ever seen =)

Status- Standing by.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Clean burn??? when my egg cracks again I am going to devil it and eat it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    dharley said:
    It wasn't on purpose. I have, when I first began with the egg, lit the fire and got distracted with food prep and when I returned the thermometer had done a full rotation and read 200, for the second time. I was just saying that it hadn't caused any serious damage, which I thought was the question.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH