Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Sunday Skillet Deep Dish Pie

2»

Comments

• byrne092byrne092 Posts: 746
    Image result for very nice meme
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,456
    Damn right!! That’s awesome.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Eggs, KJ III, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s
  • steel_eggsteel_egg Posts: 295
    Willing to reveal the dough recipe?   Sorry if I missed it. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 40,429
    Looks great B-rent-dawg
    JacksDad said:

@bgebrent that is absolutely beautiful! 

Can you tell us more about the dough you used? 

That was Publix dough!  Works great for this and I was being lazy.  I appreciate all the kind words.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • LesMoLesMo Posts: 71
    Temperature and approximate cook time?  My apologies if I missed it.
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • LesMo said:
    Nice to see one of @bgebrent’s threads active. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Brent sadly passed away since posting this. Perhaps another egghead can chime in with some instruction. 
  • Langner91Langner91 Posts: 1,181
    edited January 2021
    bgebrent said:
    Fabulous!!! Would love to have the recipe for the sauce... Super thick!!!
    It’s a great sauce I’ve tweaked over the years.  Simmering it for 30-40 minutes yields the thickness.  Important especially for deep dish as you know.

Heat skillet over medium with 2T olive oil.

Add:
    28 oz good tomato purée 
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2t Marjoram
    2t dried oregano
    2T fresh chopped basil
    S & P to taste (2t & 1t)

I hope you like it.
    Here it is.  Sorry, I thought the ask was for the sauce, but you probably meant for the pizza.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fence0407fence0407 Posts: 2,215
    LesMo said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Brent sadly passed away since posting this. Perhaps another egghead can chime in with some instruction. 
    Thank you for bringing this one back up. Can't believe I didn't bookmark it the first time. RIP "Brother" Brent.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28"
    Cumming, GA  

• LesMo said:

I don't cook pan pizzas, but if this was store-bought dough, my guess is that Brent was cooking it around 500F.  For timing I'd expect 8-10 minutes, or until the crust is sufficiently brown.  Does that sound about right, @CarolinaQ ?
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• LitLit Posts: 9,053
    LesMo said:

I don't cook pan pizzas, but if this was store-bought dough, my guess is that Brent was cooking it around 500F.  For timing I'd expect 8-10 minutes, or until the crust is sufficiently brown.  Does that sound about right, @CarolinaQ ?
    I always run pan pizzas at 350 and usually take close to a half hour.
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't know what dough recipe/time/temp Brent used. It is not a pan pizza, but a Chicago style deep dish as he made this comment above..."So N lived in Chicago for a number of years.  We’ve ordered Lou malnati’s pies on occasion.  She said “that’s the best deep dish I’ve ever had, no more ordering it”."

When I do a Chicago Deep Dish, I bake at 450°F for about 35-40 minutes. Quite thick and with raw sausage takes a while. Mine (9" pie) looks like this...

I sent these pics to the guy who developed the dough recipe. He said the bottom of the pie looked a bit overdone. I thought it was fine, but you may want to check it before 35 minutes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• @CarolinaQ - thanks.  I don't think this is quite deep dish, but rather pan from the looks of it.  Here's a popular recipe that I think people here have used:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

It calls for 550F for 12-15 minutes.  @LesMo, I hope this helps.  
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @CarolinaQ - thanks.  I don't think this is quite deep dish, but rather pan from the looks of it.  Here's a popular recipe that I think people here have used:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

It calls for 550F for 12-15 minutes.  @LesMo, I hope this helps.  
    Yep, I've used Kenji's recipe.

But as for Brent's pie, if Nicole says it's a deep dish, and it sounds like she's had her share while living there, well... =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut