Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WOW! Two NC Barbecue Restaurants Have Closed

Came across two articles in the Raleigh News & Observer. It seems that, in December, Allen & Son in Chapel Hill closed. A month later, Bill Ellis Barbecue in Wilson did the same. I've never eaten at either place, but they were both on my list. They'd been there for ±50 years! Guess I'd better hit B's and the Skylight Inn before it's too late!

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/article222718535.html
https://www.newsobserver.com/living/article224674545.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Came across two articles in the Raleigh News & Observer. It seems that, in December, Allen & Son in Chapel Hill closed. A month later, Bill Ellis Barbecue in Wilson did the same. I've never eaten at either place, but they were both on my list. They'd been there for ±50 years! Guess I'd better hit B's and the Skylight Inn before it's too late!

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/article222718535.html
    https://www.newsobserver.com/living/article224674545.html
    Twas a sad day in the Tarheel state for sure. One of my staff is a relative of the Allen and Sons folks. She said that it was just time to slow down and retire. Pretty much the same with the Ellis folks after big Bill passed.  
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    I have been to Bill’s many times.  Sad to see it closed.  Was classic eastern BBQ and so good!!  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • frazzdaddy
    edited March 2019
    I have been to Bill’s many times.  Sad to see it closed.  Was classic eastern BBQ and so good!!  
    Me too and It was. Sounds like the remaining family members had their own business ventures and no one wanted to carry on the tradition. Sadly , over my 58 years in this amazing state I have seen too many fall by the wayside.

Bill Murray's, on Capitol blv. in Raleigh. "Corn Sticks!"
    Murry's BBQ on Poole road in Raleigh, and amazing fried shrimp.
    Holden's in Wake Forest.  Awesome breakfast, last really good 'redeye" gravy I've had.
    to name a few.

Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,938
    I'd been to Allen and Son many times.  Sad to see it go.  That was a cool place.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Michael:   prob time for a road trip, eh?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • frazzdaddy
    I'd been to Allen and Son many times.  Sad to see it go.  That was a cool place.  
    the one on 15/501 is still open
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Michael:   prob time for a road trip, eh?
    Yeah, but 1300 miles is a LONG way to go for some 'que!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Check out Marty's BBQ in Wilson.  Run by the son of Bill Ellis, and is very good.  A worthy competitor to Parker's now that Bill Ellis BBQ is gone.
    http://www.martysbbq.com/
    LSG 20x42 offset, LBGE, 36" BS griddle, and more.  Piedmont Triad, North Carolina.
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Guess I'd better hit B's and the Skylight Inn before it's too late!

When my daughter was at ECU, I would try to time the drives to Greenville to be able to stop by B's before they ran out of food.

Sam Jones is opening a place in Raleigh.  We will have to see how it compares to the Skylight Inn.

Raleigh, NC
  • Carolina Q
    rekameohs said:
    Guess I'd better hit B's and the Skylight Inn before it's too late!

When my daughter was at ECU, I would try to time the drives to Greenville to be able to stop by B's before they ran out of food.

Sam Jones is opening a place in Raleigh.  We will have to see how it compares to the Skylight Inn.
    Sam has a place in Winterville too. Right down the road from Skylight. Much more varied menu.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Well damn!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    I ate at Allen & Sons countless times while in school at UNC.  It was outstanding, eastern NC BBQ.  We've lost a good one, to be sure