Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are we still in love with the MiniMax?

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    My Mini Max is my most used Egg.  Would buy it again if I needed to.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jp217p
    jp217p Posts: 11
    The Minimax is my first and only BGE right now. I really do like it. I bought my Minimax and ordered the Joe Jr the same day about a week ago. My Joe Jr will arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I've had the chance to play around with the Minimax and I really like it. My first cook was a 5lb pork butt. It maintained temperatures great. I did have to make three adjustments throughout the 10 hour cook but it turned out great. I think this cooker does need some understanding as small adjustments can really throw you off. I recommend a good pit thermometer to understand the cooker much quicker. Either way, as of now if I had to buy it again, I would. What I wouldn't buy again is the deflector and opt for the Woo with deflector instead.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    jp217p said:
    The Minimax is my first and only BGE right now. I really do like it. I bought my Minimax and ordered the Joe Jr the same day about a week ago. My Joe Jr will arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I've had the chance to play around with the Minimax and I really like it. My first cook was a 5lb pork butt. It maintained temperatures great. I did have to make three adjustments throughout the 10 hour cook but it turned out great. I think this cooker does need some understanding as small adjustments can really throw you off. I recommend a good pit thermometer to understand the cooker much quicker. Either way, as of now if I had to buy it again, I would. What I wouldn't buy again is the deflector and opt for the Woo with deflector instead.
    I bought a KJ Jr. rather than a MiniMax a few years ago. Great cooker.
    Why both?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?
    The jr is a small. Not comparable. kJ doesn’t offer anything comparable.

Like that the MM is compact and all in one type cooker. Fits easily in the back seat or under the tonneau cover etc. size matters 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?

Like that the MM is compact and all in one type cooker. Fits easily in the back seat or under the tonneau cover etc. size matters 
    Maybe fits under tonneau cover on full size trucks but will not on a Tacoma. This is one of the reasons I went with a mini other than it’s just cool.  

@mickey  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pgprescott
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?

Maybe fits under tonneau cover on full size trucks but will not on a Tacoma. This is one of the reasons I went with a mini other than it’s just cool.  

@mickey  
    It’s nice BGE has 7 sizes. Something for everyone. Yeah, mines a full size. Non issue. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I use my minimax more than any other BGE i own...2 xl and 1 large.   In fact ive just gotten base and fire ring replaced under warranty. And am looking forward to firing it up many times in the coming weeks.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Feel like the MM is more a day to day griller while my medium and large are more special occasion smokers...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    Also want one, just so I can bring it to the butt blast...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• jp217p
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?

I don't need neither one of these cookers. As a BBQ enthusiast, I just wanted them. I do find myself cooking on my smaller cookers more than any of the larger cookers. 

• jp217p
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?

Is the small BGE comparable to the Joe Jr?
  • jp217p
    Also want one, just so I can bring it to the butt blast...
    It's really heavy. Although it's portable, it's not convenient to take places. That's my personal taken on it. A good alternative is the Akorn Jr. If you don't mind not having a kamado, Weber makes a grill called the Jumbo Joe. It's 18.5" and has a pretty neat handle for carrying it. 
  • jp217p
    Feel like the MM is more a day to day griller while my medium and large are more special occasion smokers...
    Most family's of 4 would benefit from a 13"-14" cooker. With time you get really creative with space and can really maximise the cooker. My smaller cookers are my daily cookers. My bigger cookers are usually for entertaining. 
  • jp217p
    I use my minimax more than any other BGE i own...2 xl and 1 large.   In fact ive just gotten base and fire ring replaced under warranty. And am looking forward to firing it up many times in the coming weeks.
    It's a great size for day to day cooks. I like my BBQ fresh so I try not to cook more than I would eat fresh. The Minimax size is perfect for 5lb pork butts which my family usually finishes. Or a rack of ribs, chicken etc... 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    blasting said:
    Oh, and 500 cheaper.

You make a valid point there for us less fortunate  folks. However, 500 bucks won’t make the high rollers blink an eye. They don’t even consider price when buying.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    jp217p said:
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?

Yes
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    jp217p said:
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?

Yes
    It’s exactly the same, except the lower vent is larger. 
  • HeavyG
    jp217p said:
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?

Yes
    Except that it's got a larger grid, weighs less than either the Small or MiniMax, and costs significantly less than either the Small or MiniMax.
    Oh... and it's red, some people hate that. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cookingdude555
    edited March 2019
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?

Yes
    Except that it's got a larger grid, weighs less than either the Small or MiniMax, and costs significantly less than either the Small or MiniMax.
    The cooking grate is the same size as a small.  Dimension wise, the small and KJ jr are the same cooker, but yes, the KJ does weigh a few lbs less.  I like my KJ jr, and my mini max, and the small that I sold.  There is something different about the KJ ceramic, it is less dense, and that is probably how its lighter.  I am not sure if it is better because of it.  I do know it cooks exactly the same as a small egg.  Even fits real nice in a small nest :)

but not so good in a mini max one, a little wobbly ...

• HeavyG
    Technically the KJ Jr cooking grate is larger - 13.5" diameter vs the S/MMx 13" diameter which equates to about 10 square inches of extra grid real estate. Enough room for a couple more wings! :)
    I consider the Jr. and MMx comparable cuz the grate is basically the same and they are both sold with a carry stand meant to aid in their portability unlike the Small. To me the Jr being 2.5" taller than the MMx was of no significance but for some folks it apparently is. Wasn't my intent to stir up some folks emotions by making that comparison.

• jp217p
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    HeavyG said:
    jp217p said:
    Why both?

Yes
    The cooking grate is the same size as a small.  Dimension wise, the small and KJ jr are the same cooker, but yes, the KJ does weigh a few lbs less.  I like my KJ jr, and my mini max, and the small that I sold.  There is something different about the KJ ceramic, it is less dense, and that is probably how its lighter.  I am not sure if it is better because of it.  I do know it cooks exactly the same as a small egg.  Even fits real nice in a small nest :)

but not so good in a mini max one, a little wobbly ...

Your KJ looks so cool in that small Nest. 
  • cookingdude555
    HeavyG said:
    Technically the KJ Jr cooking grate is larger - 13.5" diameter vs the S/MMx 13" diameter which equates to about 10 square inches of extra grid real estate. Enough room for a couple more wings! :)
    I consider the Jr. and MMx comparable cuz the grate is basically the same and they are both sold with a carry stand meant to aid in their portability unlike the Small. To me the Jr being 2.5" taller than the MMx was of no significance but for some folks it apparently is. Wasn't my intent to stir up some folks emotions by making that comparison.
    No emotions stirred here, I enjoy the discussion.  Thanks for your input/experiences, it makes this fun.
  • cookingdude555
    jp217p said:

Your KJ looks so cool in that small Nest. 
    I really like it.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited March 2019
    Looks like the dome on the KJ will give you a bit more room. 
  • jp217p
    HeavyG said:
    I feel you make some valid points. I cannot wait to have my KJ and Minimax tackle some BBQ together. Thanks for your input. 
  • HeavyG
    I once did a 9lb pork butt (bone out) on my Jr. Thought the dome thermo might poke into the butt but it didn't.

• MaskedMarvel
    HeavyG said:
    I once did a 9lb pork butt (bone out) on my Jr. Thought the dome thermo might poke into the butt but it didn't.
    What’s the rule for pulling the thermos out a bit? I get a lot of poking on my dual grate...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• cookingdude555
    HeavyG said:
    What’s the rule for pulling the thermos out a bit? I get a lot of poking on my dual grate...
    This is on my work mini, put the therm clip on the outside of the dome.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    HeavyG said:

A wine cork works too 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    HeavyG said:

A wine cork works too 
    Wine corks are what I use.  Access issue.  Be sure to use real cork wine corks because the fake ones(must have been gifted  :D) will melt on the dome.  Heard that from a friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga