Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are we still in love with the MiniMax?

Comments

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    finished product on the MM tonight. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Damn you @bgebrent   You're right

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    SaltySam said:
    Damn you @bgebrent   You're right
    I’ve been called worse. One day I’ll get to Texas and school @Centex
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Pretty sure I was one of the first to get a mm, behind Blake. Never did really love it. Grilling/searing we’re good, but longer cooks ran out of lump, or had to refill. Traded for a small, and love it. Still too heavy for my **** back, but doable. Thanks @unoriginalusername for the shout out. The modified mm carrier does fit our current needs. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    Probably true @Jeremiah. MM is our mainstay. Love it. 
  • The current carrier that comes with the MM is ok then? No pavers needed, etc?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's a heavy, expensive hibachi.   Harder to steal than a lighter grill so inherent security.  Fragile, because owning a durable grill is just too easy.  Expensive, well, you can't take it with you.  Also smokes?  Yep, just keep it under 6 hours.
    Love my heavy, expensive, hard to steal Hibachi.  Buy it.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    The current carrier that comes with the MM is ok then? No pavers needed, etc?
    Mine sits in the nest on a piece of apple tree trunk, no sign of scorching underneath.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yes.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eoin said:
    The current carrier that comes with the MM is ok then? No pavers needed, etc?
    Mine sits in the nest on a piece of apple tree trunk, no sign of scorching underneath.
    I was fine until I went for 700 degrees. Chared a table it was on slightly, then added a ceramic tile which I exploded the next time only to notice some
    charing underneath that 

imo the MM carrier isn’t tall enough for an air gap like on my large egg and I would suggest a pager or at least a tile if high heat is in your future 
  • I have an XL that I do bigger or longer cooks on but when I'm just cooking for my wife and I, I go for the Kamado Joe Jr every time.  I find some flare up problems around the heat deflector from time to time when using it to smoke, but they usually go down when choking off the flow a little bit.  I went with the Joe Jr because it came with everything and was a couple hundred cheaper.  save a ton of coal this way when cooking for just the two of us.  I've had it running for 5-6 hours for dinner and dessert cooks and had plenty of burn time.
    -1 XL BGE
    -1 Kamado Joe "Joe Jr"
    -1 Traeger Scout 
    -cast iron grate and pans
    -pizza stone
    -XL Adjustable Rig 2 Grid Combo from Ceramic Grill Store
    -A-MAZE-N smoker pellet tray
    -Teken Wireless 4 Probe Thermometer
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Its a searing machine here at my house. Don't take it many places....but when I do, my good friend @Dyal_SC unloads it for me. =);)
    @northGAcock , I’m always happy to help out old folks and lady folks. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Besides the color, I can't think of a reason I'd choose a MM over a Jumbo Joe for portability.  I'm open to being convinced, but the Joe is larger, quicker to get going, quicker to shut down, not fragile, not a theft concern, and way lighter.

Oh, and 500 cheaper.

Phoenix 
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    blasting said:

Besides the color, I can't think of a reason I'd choose a MM over a Jumbo Joe for portability.  I'm open to being convinced, but the Joe is larger, quicker to get going, quicker to shut down, not fragile, not a theft concern, and way lighter.

Oh, and 500 cheaper.

I love my jumbo Joe. Bought it on accident bad has been my favorite every day grill since. Pair it with one of the small Weber chimney starters and you'll never look back.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Might I Mention that the Small Egg is amazing. And doesn’t weigh much more than a mini max and doesn’t have the lump issues.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    Got a small and a jumbo joe. Love them both. My Dad and one of my brothers have mini max’s And both kinda wish they had a small now that I’ve got one. I debated for a while between the two but went with the small and have been very happy with it. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    I have an opportunity to by a mini max still in the box from someone for $450. Is this a good deal?
  • bgebrent
    I have an opportunity to by a mini max still in the box from someone for $450. Is this a good deal?
    That’s a good deal.  Normally 499 in ATL.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I love my MM...wait a minute I've had it 2 years and never had a fire in it. Oh well, I still like it I have a lot of sh!t I don't use.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    piney said:
    I love my MM...wait a minute I've had it 2 years and never had a fire in it. Oh well, I still like it I have a lot of sh!t I don't use.
    Im in the same spot... have had mine in the garage since Christmas two years ago and is still as new as day I got it...  I did buy the portable stand to set in on a few months ago though so I must be planning on using at some point.
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    I have a large and MM.I use the large for crowds and for rotisserie (Joetisserie) and the MM for just me and my wife. I wouldn't trade either of them
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Grader07 said:
    piney said:
    Im in the same spot... have had mine in the garage since Christmas two years ago and is still as new as day I got it...  I did buy the portable stand to set in on a few months ago though so I must be planning on using at some point.
    What does the stand cost? I’ve got mine in a medium nest right now. It works, but it’s not a perfect fit. One of the medium arms is in there a little weird. 
  • blasting said:

Oh, and 500 cheaper.

That’s what I use when going mobile. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Grader07 said:
    piney said:
    What does the stand cost? I’ve got mine in a medium nest right now. It works, but it’s not a perfect fit. One of the medium arms is in there a little weird. 
    I think I got it for 140$ with 15% off.  It’s pretty sturdy too
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Grader07 said:
    Grader07 said:
    piney said:
    Yep 140. It’s great. Raises the unit up to cook level as well. It’s a nice addition IMO. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I got a jumbo Joe in lieu of a MM. Works good, I even smoked a rack of baby backs in it one day to see how it worked. Not too shabby

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    And it was like 40 bucks. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• cookingdude555
    I always recommend the jumbo joe to people wanting portability. I have two and they travel great. No chance of cracking.
  • cookingdude555
    Grader07 said:
    Grader07 said:
    piney said:
    Yep 140. It’s great. Raises the unit up to cook level as well. It’s a nice addition IMO. 
    Thanks!