Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baltimore things to do?

Options
May possibly have to make a business trip up there; curious as to some good eats? I'm drooling over some crab cakes. Would appreciate recommendations of great local hole in the wall restaurants vs chains.

Planning to catch an orioles game and visit the national aquarium. Any other must do's?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    Chap's Pit Beef!  I always stop swing by when heading down 95 south through Baltimore

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Crabcake? Hole in the wall? Look no further than Koko's Pub out there on Harford road, hon. While you're over this way you can grab some tasty 'que at Big Bad Wolfs House of Barbecue, and snag some tasty joe at Zeke's Coffee

If you want the real deal Baltimore experience, grab a crabcake platter from Faidley's in Lexington Market before an Orioles game. I've been to Lexington a million times and I've never felt unsafe but others are completely scared away so you may want to research first. If you do make it up that way there is a tiny little hole in the wall Italian deli that is worth checking out - Trinacria

If you are going to be downtownish (orioles/aquarium), Brewers Art is not to be missed, be sure to check out both the upstairs and downstairs. If you feel like spending some dough, you can't do much better than Woodberry Kitchen. If you feel like spending even more dough and love whole fresh fish, try Ouzo Bay (it's pretty hip/trendy/upscale but I used to work there and can vouch for the food quality).

I could go on and on... I lived in Baltimore for over a decade and love the city to pieces, I'm happy to give more pointed recs if you give some more specifics.

Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Crab Cakes- for work I always stop at Timbuktu out by BWI if I stay out there.  If im staying towards Inner Harbor I go to Mo's Seafood.

Ive walked around every part of downtown for one reason or another and while some areas seem sketchy I wasnt uncomfortable- but it was in the day.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Next time you are in the BWI area, check out Crab Towne for some vintage arcade.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I second Chaps Pit Beef.  Was in Baltimore last September.  Chaps was very good.  Had Maryland crab cakes at the wedding reception, so I'm no help on where to get them, but they were mighty tasty.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Take the nickel ride courtesy of the Baltimore PD. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Visit Hamsterdam.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Pioneer Pit Beef on the West side of town(Catonsville) is very good too. Great recs here. Faidley’s at Lexington for crab cakes, raw bar too. Sadly, Obrycki's is just at BWI, but that was another Bawlmer institution on the East side.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Break CVS windows and loot!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You would appear to be determined to live up to your FIFO nickname.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The most convenient way to travel in Baltimore is atv or dirt bike. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Guinness Brewery is nearby i believe. Haven't been.....but have heard nice things.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    If you're looking for beer, I'd check out Union. Nearby you can also visit wavery brewing and Birroteca (they have great food too)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    You would appear to be determined to live up to your FIFO nickname.
    Sorry - it was the first thing that came to mind. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Crab Cakes- for work I always stop at Timbuktu out by BWI if I stay out there.  If im staying towards Inner Harbor I go to Mo's Seafood.

Ive walked around every part of downtown for one reason or another and while some areas seem sketchy I wasnt uncomfortable- but it was in the day.
    Don’t know if it’s a change of source of crabmeat or recipe, But Timbuktu is not what it once was.  For me, best crab cake in the area is at G&M.  Can’t say about Faidley’s because I’m one of those guys that will never go to Lexington Market again.  

As the crow flies, Guinness and G&M are separated by less than 2 miles.  Nice one-two right there.

Chap’s is good - if you go, bring a stack of $1 bills - it sits within the parking lot of the Gentlman’s Gold Club.

Another vote for Brewer’s Art - great brew and a relatively safe part of town.

Don’t know about Bertha’s but bar hopping in Fell’s Point should be a good time - my old favorites are The Cats Eye Pub and The Horse You Came in On.

Newer, fresher, cleaner, safer, more expensive is the Harbor East area - lots of bars, hotels, upscale restaurants.  It’s a reasonable walk to/from Camden Yards from Harbor East.  Depends on your budget.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    The most convenient way to travel in Baltimore is atv or dirt bike. 
    Yes, dirt bike - but you gotta be doing wheelies.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    I forgot to mention, after visiting the Gold Club you can work out any frustrations that might have “arisen” - head over to Urban Axe (about a mile away).  Drinking beer and throwing axes- what can go wrong?
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I once watched a kid, about 12 year old, tee bone a car with a dirt bike as the car was waiting at a red light.  He got up from the ground and walked away.  This happened 2 blocks from camden on opening weekend.  The pedestrians, including myself were all in disbelief.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    I once watched a kid, about 12 year old, tee bone a car with a dirt bike as the car was waiting at a red light.  He got up from the ground and walked away.  This happened 2 blocks from camden on opening weekend.  The pedestrians, including myself were all in disbelief.  
    He left the bike behind?  Stolen, I’m sure.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    I used to play a ton of disc golf at Druid Hill park, there were a few times driving there that I got completely surrounded by a caravan of dirt bikes and ATVs doing all types of crazy stuff, I was just hoping nobody fell...
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    He left the bike behind?  Stolen, I’m sure.

left the bike right there in the street.  Poor lady was shouting at him but it didn't matter. 
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I used to play a ton of disc golf at Druid Hill park, there were a few times driving there that I got completely surrounded by a caravan of dirt bikes and ATVs doing all types of crazy stuff, I was just hoping nobody fell...
    A guy on YouTube does BBQ related live streams every Wednesday night from Baltimore. I asked him how real/often that occurs in Baltimore. He said they're constantly going up and down his neighborhood. Walking from his kitchen out to his smoker during the live stream he could hear them. I know at one point the P.D was crushing motorcycles to send a message. It doesn't sound like it's slowing anything down.

Cool to see kids out on bikes and enjoying themselves. Just would be nice if the bikes were insured, had plates, and stayed within reason of the law while out riding.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Been a couple years since I have been but, had one of the better meals of my life at Charleston’s. Fantastic tasting menu but your wallet will cry a little. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    If you like a funky wine/beer bar/gastropub - go to Of Love and Regret.

The beer and wine selection there is not the largest I've ever seen, but it is the most eclectic - as is the place itself.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Been a couple years since I have been but, had one of the better meals of my life at Charleston’s. Fantastic tasting menu but your wallet will cry a little. 

Charleston is probably the top rated restaurant in B’more.  It’s in Harbor East.  Took my wife there for her birthday last year - awesome meal, verrry expensive.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    Options
    Timbuktu is where I used to go for crab cakes, but G&M's seems to be the consensus for best cakes. Guinness brewery is pretty cool too if you're into beer. O's games are always a good time, but I'm not a huge fan of the actual city and try to stay away as much as possible. Fed/Fells is starting to get sketchy for nightlife so I wouldn't recommend staying out late.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Dodge gunfire. 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Definately have some things to check out