Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love Adam Perry Lang Recipes, but...there are mistakes...

Boneless,,,,Separate the meat from the bone?

It was a great cook, regardless:

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I swear you've cooked more APL recipes than APL has!! =) And they always look great!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nice cook!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Oh yeah, there’s more than a few.  The less obvious ones are his underestimates for cooking times.  I’ve written a bunch of notes in the copy of SB that I have, and a lot of them are corrections to timings.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2019
    I find mistakes all the time in my cookbooks and it drives me crazy, especially when the author doesn’t publish an errata online. Arron Franklin’ BBQ sauce calls for, and I quote  -

1/4 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar

da’fuq is that shiz
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You believe a cookbook because...  Y’all are smarter than that.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I gave up on APL recipes. Too complicated for me.  I’m just not good at following directions. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    caliking said:
    I gave up on APL recipes. Too complicated for me.  I’m just not good at following directions. 
    Nobody said you have to follow all the directions.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Looks great
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I swear you've cooked more APL recipes than APL has!! =) And they always look great!
    Guilty, but I have learned a lot.  Like @JohnInCarolina mentioned.  I have adjusted cooking times, ingredients, etc.  The recipes have taught me a lot.  It just takes me many repetitions to learn!  :|
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
    Nobody said you have to follow all the directions.
    True.

I'm planning on making some ribs today. Found my copy of APL's book, perused the recipe, and put it down. Make the sauce, make the rub, wrap with foil, unwrap, etc. 

I'll aim for greatness some other time :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt said:
    I find mistakes all the time in my cookbooks and it drives me crazy, especially when the author doesn’t publish an errata online. Arron Franklin’ BBQ sauce calls for, and I quote  -

da’fuq is that shiz
    That's his subtle way of telling everyone. "In reality I'm not going to give you my real recipe so here I'll make something up".

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt said:

da’fuq is that shiz
    That's his subtle way of telling everyone. "In reality I'm not going to give you my real recipe so here I'll make something up".
    Or... and I’m just spitballing here... it’s just a typo.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    SonVolt said:

da’fuq is that shiz
    Hipsters are known for using manual typewriters and it can be hard to make corrections on those.  Maybe he just got tired of retyping everything.
  • Legume said:
    SonVolt said:

da’fuq is that shiz
    Hipsters are known for using manual typewriters and it can be hard to make corrections on those.  Maybe he just got tired of retyping everything.
    He has sold a lot of books.
  • smbishop
    I nominate @JohnInCarolina as Editor In Chief.  Publish the new and revised 2019 edition of Serious Barbeque.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Is serious barbecue the best one?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smbishop
    thetrim said:
    It really depends on what you are looking for.  His recipes are very involved.  However, after going through many of them, more than once.  I have learned to simplify and remove many of his steps with good results.  I have also learned a lot about ingredients, preparation, cooking and finishing with that book!
  • thetrim said:
    Of Q cookbooks?  Who knows.  All I know is that nearly all of the recipes I’ve tried from that book are solid.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I like Serious Barbecue. I've made four of his recipes, maybe more. They are involved but worth it imo.
    Mountain View, CA
  • SonVolt
    edited February 2019
    Aaron's sauce tastes a lot better with a full 1/4 cup of brown sugar, which I'm assuming was his original intent.  It's my go-to sauce for Texas-style cooks. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    caliking said:

Focus less on his recipes and more on his methods... stick with it, I'm telling you. It'll up your grilling game exponentially. 
  • SonVolt said:
    Aaron's sauce tastes a lot better with a full 1/4 cup of brown sugar, which I'm assuming was his original intent.  It's my go-to sauce for Texas-style cooks. 
    I think if you look at the recipe in context:

It’s clear that it’s probably calling for 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of brown sugar, to match the Worcestershire.  
  • Metric conversion 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Metric conversion 
    Grams, grams, grams, it should always be in grams.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SonVolt
    SonVolt said:

It’s clear that it’s probably calling for 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of brown sugar, to match the Worcestershire.  

Very possible. I wouldn’t want to subtract too too much sugar tho, my guess of 1/4 cup barely cuts the acidity to non-ass puckering levels. It’s stout so I feel the increased sweetness helps balance it out. 
  • SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

Very possible. I wouldn’t want to subtract too too much sugar tho, my guess of 1/4 cup barely cuts the acidity to non-ass puckering levels. It’s stout so I feel the increased sweetness helps balance it out. 
    Man as long as you found a recipe that works for you, that’s all that matters.  

The sauce recipe in APL’s book is quite a bit more involved, but very very good.  I need to make it again.
  • smbishop
    From the Naked Whiz site:

We have been meaning to try Aaron Franklin's recipe for a tomato-based BBQ sauce for some time. We wanted something for use with beef plate ribs, and this sauce really fits the bill. This is Aaron Franklin's Regular Sauce, also called his Classic Sauce. You will find this recipe in Aaron Franklin's book, Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto. You'll also find it all over the internet on food and BBQ related websites. And you'll find they all have one thing in common: a somewhat puzzling ingredients list. We have sorted out the ingredients list for you and offer it up here for your BBQ pleasure. This sauce has some tang, a little bit of sweet and a little bit of heat. Aaron Franklin calls it a good all-purpose sauce.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/afregularbbqsauce.htm?fbclid=IwAR1SXHIBzbCLmCSfCXVyIxTubtli8JVWXfkfPZUlPBIlXFFfUwhJv2FIoPY

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    APL weird story - Arrested over a bomb threat at Jimmy Kimmels house?  I read it and still super confused  :ohttps://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/cops-arrest-chef-adam-perry-lang-at-jimmy-kimmels-home-after-alleged-bomb-threat-call
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG said:
    APL weird story - Arrested over a bomb threat at Jimmy Kimmels house?  I read it and still super confused  :ohttps://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/cops-arrest-chef-adam-perry-lang-at-jimmy-kimmels-home-after-alleged-bomb-threat-call
    That is messed up.  Who knows what's going on there.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2019
    NDG said:
    That is messed up.  Who knows what's going on there.  
    "believed the incident was an extreme case of swatting"

Well that's a new one :confounded:
    I personally cannot see APL doing this but, people can sometimes do things that completely contradict their personality.  

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL